How is elizza811 doing?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

terry

New
Reaction score
Hi had some probs getting here after seeing some of the posts about the interest in sensitivity to solar storms on line had a few probs on the way which Bernard kindly sorted for me.
My interest in conditions that are sensitive to solar (geomagnetic) storms began a few years ago when I saw on line an article about Kay's 1994 study of admissions into mental hospitals and solar storms, he found that while the power of the solar storm made no difference there was a statistical increase in admissions about two weeks after any solar storm which may sound confusing -until the two 11 year average time frames of the complete 22 year cycle are looked at more closely and the question is asked:

Because the 22 year cycle has an 11 average increase, followed by an 11 years average decrease, would kay's finding be better understood when looking at the increased number of solar storms, rather than the power of the individual storms? to explore this further I have begun looking at the number of riots in UK and US since WW2 and there does appear to be a greater increase in the total 11 year periods of increasing activity (by area), perhaps any members who have kept diarys can help check out there own episodes? given the recent well publicised solar storm it would be interesting to know if any members can confirm kay's finding hopfully not about a hospital admissions but any increase in any epilepsy symptoms around the last week of this March or early April.
I suspect that humidity levels may also be involved as epilepsy triggers for some people so some variation can be expected depending on local weather conditions. For those interested in how there local weather pattern may irritate there epilepsy may I suggest exploring the mediclim system which is offering a free 3 month trial for new people, they will send you an e mail alert about changes in the local weather conditions for your area 24 Hours before it peaks, if epilepsy is more sensitive to solar storms than it is to local weather changes it would make sence that some people will 'feel' the change even before the email alert arrives.
My own research suggests the migraine alerts are a very useful tool for understanding depression issues or sleep problems that can be associated with epilepsy.
If some patterns can be identified it should be possible to begin locating where a given individual sensitivity to natures triggers is focussed.
Terry

terry,

"given individual sensitivity to natures triggers" worth looking at...

this takes a read or 2...

Solar activity and earths weather has a longer history than humans, some of us have inherited an extreme sensitivity to natures changes but most of us appear to have lost that acute 6th sense that the lower animals still have, I wonder if all epilepsy would be as difficult to live with if we were more time sensitive to natures ryhthms and less dependant on our vertual lives, the web is a wonderful assett but keeping a little time to know who we really are..worth looking at...

terry,

My Son has E and he has extreme sensitive nature.

I am going to let you know of any seizures my Son has between the last weeks of this March or early April...I pray to the good Lord it will be none.

but I thought about this and decided...I will follow up, not via any web record, other than CWE...

I will let u know and we track all of them.

Terry, wanted to close out on this but will say my curiosity certainly won’t close out on this as its reall food for thought…pressure in the atmosphere cannot not have affect on us humans…not referring to those with E only…

My Son had T/C March 28th, he was on vacation. I checked the local Humidity at the time, it was 93%. Pretty darn high...

Hi, I been more off than on line recently because my pc has not been well seems a bit better now so hope I can catch up. I may have mentioned the work of Prof Shaman somewhere on this site if not just briefly: he made a study (on line)of absolute humidity and seasonal flu and found to everyones surprise that flu is more common when the air is cold and dry (low humidity) as more often in the usual winter time he concluded it is the absolute humidity (not relavent humidity) that is the key to this finding which has astounded many scientists. What's this got to do with epilepsy? for some nothing at all for some could be that little thing they are looking for..Thanks for yours and everyone elses input.
Terry

PS did you also check the altitude of your sons vacation area as it changes the local atmospheric pressure.

Back
Top Bottom