Husband's First Seizure at 44 -- Caused by Premature Birth?!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kalikai

New
Reaction score
Today, my husband had his second tonic clonic seizure, after having his first ever one last month. CT done in the ER the last time showed nothing. MRI done a couple of days later had a clean reading. Blood panels normal. EKG done today, normal. Scheduled to consult with a cardiologist next Friday, just to make sure, but there are no indications to expect anything. Meeting with a gastroenterologist to deal with a hiatal hernia that causes choking with the first few bites of food.

Yesterday, he had an EEG done, with sleep deprivation the night before, and then, subjected to hyperventilation and strobe lights. The results shared with us by the attending physician at the ER today showed some abnormal activity in the left temporal lobe.

The neurologist suspects my husband's premature birth and a concussion experienced from a car accident at age 2 months caused microscopic scarring that is now playing a role. Really?!

My husband also has had episodes that sound like absence seizures leading up to and in between the two tonic clonic seizures. He describes them as light-headedness and losing his train of thought for 15 to 30 seconds. I have not been present during one of these, so I do not know if he stares.

Something else that may be a contributing factor to a lowered seizure threshold is suspected obstructive sleep apnea. He has periods when he does not breath for multiple seconds, then sharply inhales to resume his normal breathing pattern. This happens repeatedly throughout the night.

Also, he had been neglectful of his water consumption, eating habit, and had been severely sleep deprived leading up to his first seizure.

I honestly don't know if what the neurologist suggests makes sense, this long after birth. Has anyone else been told this?

Immediately following the active phase of his seizure today, he became somewhat violent physically and exhibited attempted foul language -- I say attempted, because a single recognizable curse word repeatedly was accompanied by gibberish, all while trying to yank me down to the ground where he was lying. He clearly was not aware of his actions. This did not occur with his first seizure.

We filled a prescription for Lamictal yesterday, but he had his seizure before he even had a chance to start. We gave him the first pill in the ER today.

I am afraid these seizures will limit his ability to continue functioning as an effective instructor, which is his current position at a local college. As we slowly boost his dosage over the months to come, I hope the medication helps to stabilize his seizure activity. Otherwise, we will have to change our entire lifestyle to accommodate our new reality.

Gday ,
It`s not good to hear about your husband , i too am in the country [ bugger the city ] i first started getting siezures at around 40 the doc told me that lack of sleep not eating right , stress ect triggerd mine , it is very hard to get used to and you get rather grumpy that it is happening to yourself , but the way i look at it now is that at least it didn`t hit me as a kid as i would not have been able to experiance [ semi trailers , seeing alot of australia , america & canada ] as i have prior to getting E , i was having up to 7 siezures a day for several months , reducing stress and tegratol works for me i havn`t had a siezure for over 6mths now :) , i hope that it all works out for him .

Last edited:
Hi kalikai, welcome to CWE!

I was told something similar, that a bad concussion I had when I was 5 may have caused a tiny scar that played a role in seizures that appeared when I was 35. It's possible that your husband's early health issues may have contributed to his late-onset seizures, but there's no way to know for sure, and many (most) seizure disorders never determine a primary cause that causes the lowered seizure threshold.

There are often secondary triggers however -- and it sounds like in your husband's case those are the apnea, the fatigue, and possibly nutritional/digestive issues. It can definitely help to identify and eliminate any factor that may have "pushed him over the edge" of the seizure threshold. Being proactive about general health issues and moderate in behavior and habits can help too.

At this point it must feel pretty scary -- hang in there! Over time, you and your husband will get a sense of how well the Lamictal works. It may very well control his seizures (it works for mine), and there will be no need for major changes to his lifestyle or yours. If the Lamictal doesn't work, or has problematic side effects, there are many other meds to try.

If you have questions or concerns along the way, please feel free to check in here -- CWE members offer a wealth of experience and empathy.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you

I appreciate the feedback. I feel a sense of relief that we are not the only ones going through this experience.

Yesterday happened to be the first time I took my attention off his routine. Until then, I prepared all his meals and snacks, filled his water bottle, and monitored his sleep patterns, for a month now, since his first seizure. We just returned the night before from being out of town (combo mini-spring break vacation + EEG test) and assumed he had his habits down. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

He apparently lapsed back into his bad habit of not eating, not drinking water, and ignoring my pleas. Well, I guess he knows now not to ever do that again.

His schedule this semester is brutal. As an instructor at two different colleges, plus taking classes himself, plus serving as the Teachers Union president with awful negotiations, plus serving as the faculty advisor to the student government, plus living on a farm with heavy labor demands, the stress of it all obviously has caught up to him. Now, his seizure threshold seems to linger around any added stress-induced anxiety. His episode yesterday was during a conversation with the tree trimmer about how the guy hadn't finished trimming beyond the fence line. Confrontation is not his strong point.

Hopefully, he will get through these last two months of the semester and reassess his schedule to a more reasonable level. In the meantime, I intend to help facilitate him through any and all stressors. I hope I am helpful and not a hindrance.

He's very lucky to have you! It can make a huge difference having someone by your side to help keep track of your meds, and, yes, to nudge you towards the kinds of habits and behaviors that can help keep seizures at bay. Low blood sugar is a fairly common seizure trigger, so your husband should get in the habit of carrying small snacks as well as a water bottle. And anything he can do to relieve stress is a plus -- even if that means letting go of some of his responsibilities. Even taking just five minute breaks a few times a day to tune out the world can be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom