I am worried about losing my job

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SAF

New
Reaction score
I am a recruiter (sales) and work for a small company. I started in March and everything was going really good until I had a seizure in May. This happened at work and I was in the hospital for 3 days. After I came back I was performing well, but my company changed my commission structure, so I earn less now.
The president of my company has told me once that he needs to track my performance and last Friday he told me I have to go over everything I am doing w/ him weekly or write everything down for him to see. No other recruiter or anyone else in the company has to do this. My boss tells me I am doing good, so I am getting confused. The president is also unhappy, because I can't work five 10 hour+ days. I can work my 40 hrs. A week, and the times vary, because I have to be driven.
I feel singled out and he is looking for a reason to fire me. He spends a good portion of his day watching me work. It is extremely stressful! This stress also affects my sleep. I am going to work hard and do my best, but what can I do protect myself? I wish I could quit, but I need the money.

Do u live in the u.s. We have the a.d.a. They make them make reasonable accomadations for u if u have bee diagnosed with a seizure disorder out of my country im sorry cant help anymore.

SAF

Trying to work and having epilepsy at the same time is a chalange. I hope you live in the U.S. because I do not know of any recourse you could take in europe, that would work or be of benifet. Sorry for this.

I am so sorry your going through that. I wouldn't stress out about something out of your control, because you didn't ask these problems. Having more stress could make cause more seizures and that's not good. I hope everything works out.

I don't know anything about the US system really but i'm assuming the ADA is pretty much the same as our DDA.

Unfortunately i'm in much the same situation as you and i think that today i've finally come to the decision that i need to quit my job after 4 years of working there. Despite the disability acts some employers can and do discriminate and it's not always easy to prove.

I think that in your case you can prove it though. Arrange for a meeting with the most high-up manager you can to discuss your current work situation. Ask why you are being singled out and then bluntly ask if it is to do with your seizure. Make notes of the meeting and if possible get someone else to attend with you as witness. Ask why you are being treated differently when they admit that there is nothing wrong with your work and the reasons behind your commission restructuring and pay cut.

Also, if you're contracted to work 40 hours a week then you're not obligated to work any more than that.

Keep a record of any circumstances which are out of the ordinary and where you might be treated unfairly, mark them down in a diary or something, then at least if you do end up losing your job through discrimination then you may be able to have them over a barrel for unfair (if you get fired) or constructive (if you end up resigning) dismissal.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am trying not to stress over this, but I had another seizure yesterday at work. I left early and called my neurologist. He told me to do is increase my kepra dosage and rest. Since I can't drive my wife had to come pick me up.
The president of the company wasn't there, but I am dreading going back. I know he is going to drill me w/ questions when I do go back.
Also there have been times when he has said to me, "you look good, so you must be fine". I get tired of hearing this, because you can't just look at someone and tell how they feel. Especially when a seizure can just come out of no where.
The whole not driving thing is also stressing my wife out as it takes 7 hours out of her week just to drive me. She is a therapist and works a lot, and I hate it that I add to her stress.
As for laws-in the U.S. we have the ADA that list epilepsy as a disability. An employer has to make reasonable accomindation for someone w/ a dissability. To me this seems like discrimination as I am a liability to the company.
Normally a person could go to HR for help, but my company doesn't have a real HR and I am being harassed by the top person in the company, so I can't go to anyone in the company for help.

How about a secret tape recording of him harassing or interrogating you for evidence...there are really tiny ones on the markets these days.Then hang onto it for the time needed.

I wonder what’s lurking in their closets (or their families), because NOONE is perfect... To think another human can be so inconsiderate and without compassion...This makes me real angry.....real angry, my blood is boiling here...–

I am so mad I have to vent, I’d like to know this company and if they continue messing with you so much you have to leave or get fired – want to blacklist them and spread the word, face book, twitter, blogs, forums…you name it…millions of people have Epilepsy, millions and millions worldwide, my Son of 26 included.... If it came to you having to leave or be made to leave Id stand outside their office with BIG board and tell the world why you had to go (Ok, maybe not you maybe, a friend, I know I’d do it in a heartbeat for u if I was near you)

I'm not sure if I would go that extreme, but I think it is best to look for a job change. The biggest problem is driving though. I don't know when that will be.

What you

CAN do, even though it is a smaller company without a "real" HR company as you put it is this:

Call the president and your manager into a meeting. Tell them you feel as if you are being harassed because you suddenly have to report in/write everything down, and no one else has to. The E is NOT your fault, and med changes do cause stress when they are going on, too.

Also inform them that there IS an American with Disabilities Act in place, just for people like you. You do have the right to use that act, and if they would like for you to seek legal counsel to enforce that right, you will.

THEY CANNOT FIRE YOU because of the seizures. Doing so leaves them WIDE OPEN to a major lawsuit in violation of the ADA. As long as you work your contracted hours (if you actually have a contract) you are FINE.

In regards to getting to work: Is there a way to carpool with anyone? I can understand the dislike for having to rely on your wife all the time. I've done that before, and hated it myself. Several times....although I did it voluntarily for nearly a year each time. I'm sure your wife does not mind as much as you think she does.

Enlighten your boss that just because you look good doesn't mean everything is kosher. Have him look at this website, or the EFA website for that matter. There are more than 40 types of seizures (I have 4 nocturnal types). Have him email me, if you want. I'll set him straight. :bigsmile:

Oh, and tell him this. E can show up at any time in someone's life, for no reason at all. For all he knows, HE may get it next month, next year, or 10 years from now....or someone that he knows or loves a lot.

Regarding the neuro's statement about rest and stress. They are right. May I make a suggestion for relieving stress? Do something like yoga or meditation. Use a exercise bike in the house if you want to work off some stress. Listen to some CDs at bedtime that are "white noise" or designed to help you sleep. Some phones will let you download apps designed to help you relax as well.

Good luck, and take care. I'm going to go get off my :soap: now. :bigsmile:

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

SAF,

Flooded out :) and I understand you....

This triggered the passionate and very protective side of me full mode..... But I will say, I would sure go to that extreme for my loved ones and even for u if I was close by..

Meetz1064, GREAT feedback!!!

Not that it will help, but my heart goes out to you, big time!! More than 20 years ago, when I had a petit mal seizure at work during a meeting and saw the shocked faces afterward (I was just "absent" for a few moments) I felt different and afraid. Fortunately, they stuck with me there at work. I thank God for that. I know how awful it feels though to feel different and to need some help and to try to work while on medication, which slows you down a lot. I pray things will work out for you and you'll get through this!!

Thanks everyone!

Meetz-thanks for the info :)

I had a seizure at work on Monday and I think seeing it happen made it more real.
What do you think about working from home as an option? I only need a phone and computer. Would this be a reasonable accomindation?
I ask, because it can be difficult to get to work. My wife is a therapist and drives a lot. She figured out that she spends 7 hours a day driving me. This cuts into her income, and she earns less now. I feel bad, because she is stressed out too.

Sounds like a reasonable accommodation to me. They might want you to come in a least once a week though -- I know some places that do that.

Sounds like a reasonable accommodation to me. They might want you to come in a least once a week though -- I know some places that do that.

That be fine. I guess the law states that it can't cost a company too much money. My work computer is already a laptop and I would need a phone.

options :) we like that! Of course only if it makes you happy..

Well I'm not sure if it will be as good as working in the office. If you work from home your work is always there. When I worked from home before I actually put more hours in and would get calls at crazy hours.
I guess the only real benefit would be not worrying about getting rides. The downside is that I am trapped in my house and going to work keeps me getting bored.

as Nakamova rightly mentioned, go for 1 (normally needed at min) /2 day in office to keep u sane and in touch...no harm is asking..

I understand...

Back
Top Bottom