Intro

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Laura Dyer and I have had epilepsy since about 16 yrs old and it seems to always be around "that time" of month. I have been on just about all the meds. Currently, I am on Neurontin and Keppra. I would like to chat with others that can actually know what I am talking about. I have had a VNS installed but it too has no effect. :( Also, I would like to know if anyone is using herbal treatment. I have read some info on it but real sure which is worth trying. Also, how many believe that stress has an effect on the seizure activity? I have been told that my stress level has increased and that is why I am having at least one seizure a day. I would like to chat with anyone with epilepsy or has to deal with it daily due to a friend or family member. I know that it has alot of effects on a relationship.
Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura -- Welcome here :)
Could I ask how long you've had the VNS? Sometimes it can take as long as 2 years to start working "properly". I sure hope it starts working better for you.
Lots of people will be by to talk to and help you.

Hello,
Thank You. I had it installed about 1 and a half yrs ago. It was working for a time but my neuro has just turned it off in August. It seems that I can have something for a brief tine and I get "used' to it. I know my Dialntin level was at 62.0+ so........... It just gets upsetting switching meds about every 6 months. I have left temporal lobe so I am not a candidate for surgery which I wonder if it would be worth it.
Thanks again,
Laura

Howdy Laura, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Also, how many believe that stress has an effect on the seizure activity?

Stress is a common and known seizure trigger.

You can check out the chart of alternative treatments (see my signature) if you are looking for more options with seizure control.

Hello Laura! Welcome to the party!

Stress can absolutely do it...and it comes in many forms---for example overworking physically, mentally, or even subconsciously noticing clatter you didn't really pay attention to but was 'bugging' you the whole time!

Lighten your load however you can, it'll pay off. You'll find the good people here have many worthy suggestions for doing just that!

I'll kick it off with:
>find some music that helps you 'feel' better and keep it handy...don't forget to also schedule some time to listen to it!...screw the rat race for 5 minutes!

Good Luck!
:)

:hello: Laura

Stress can do it as well as tripping Migraines
as well a whole bunch of other medical problems.

:(

Stress should be an illegal word and shouldn't
be even be a Medical Terminology or even be
found in the Webster's Dictionary!

It should be a banned word along with:

Work
Epilepsy
Seizures
In-Laws

and a whole bunch of others I'm sure a lot
of people have in mind but I can't think
right now ... but I'm sure they'll post some!

:flipcoin:

hugs.gif

Here's some hugs coming your way!

Hi Laura,
It is my daughter Rebecca who has seizures. She is 15. Many of her seizures occur on her cycle as well, so we are trying a form of bio-identical progesterone. In addition she is working up to a therapeutic level of her fourth medicine. She had serious side effects from the first three. I am considering neurofeedback and other alternative therapies, because my personal opinion is that these drugs cause too many additional problems.

Glad that you stopped in, hope we can help each other with more ideas.

Hi Laura: Welcome to the board, after 39 yrs on epilepsy meds and a vns inplant, I have ran out of medical treatments. So I tried homeopathy and been on it 2 yrs ,this year I added the Gard Diet so I could drop the last 25 mgs of mysoline. Have any questions feel free to ask me or pm .

Riva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom