Introduction - partner of someone with e

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I imagine I'll be reading and posting a lot.

I'm with my current partner who has E. She has been seizure free for a few years prior to getting with me but as recently started having them again, she had tonic clonic seizures. I have recently witnessed this and been around it first hand.

I know it's a horrible thing for you that have it but I'm hoping to get support on here from those that have partners with it as well as its affecting me more than I expected recently.

Hi 1986 - I'm in sort of the same situation although if you read my intro post from a few days ago, my partner is very private about his E. We have been together 5 years.

If you would like to post here or PM me, I hope I can help you. If I could ask how it is affecting you specifically?

Welcome!

We're here for support when you need it!

Having a strong plan of support is something that you will find to be priceless! Having somewhere to go to ask questions you have can really be important when it comes to a person who has E or living with someone who has E. The members of CWE are always here to try and answer these questions for you using our experience w/E and knowledge about E.
Until you have learned about the many different ways that E can occur and why E may occur you are going to feel as though you are lost! This is why you have to be willing to ask questions(your asking questions helps everyone, and hurts no one).
I have lived w/E for over 50 years and NEVER let E control my life! This is probably the most important thing a person w/E has to do. Don't expect instant, widespread knowledge to come quickly. Learning about E and it's many variances takes time. Sometimes what feels like too long. This has to be accepted and lived with. Pressing for an instant resolution to a problem w/E could lead to problems that can be too stressful and lead to more problems for the person w/E.
You have to be there when your partner needs you and remain upbeat. If you allow yourself to not be pleasant your partner will do the same thing. You have to be willing to ask questions to get answers that you may need. The questions are a hug part of dealing w/E! :twocents:

WELCOME TO CWE!
ACsHuman

Hi 1986,
Welcome to CWE. I think that it's wonderful that you are wanting to learn how to help and support your partner. I've had E. for 44 yrs. and been married for 30 yrs. Personally I feel that it's good to be open about the E when you talk with your partner and never be afraid of the seizures. My husband stood right by my side after 2 brain surgeries and never being able to drive in my life. I still work full time and I don't let the E stop me.
You may want to tell your partner about the ketogenic diet this diet is a diet that will help reduce or stop seizures for many people. The diet is high in fat but low in carbs and starch foods. You may notice that your partner is depressed sometimes or moody but take my word all of that is from the E or the seizure med. I wish you both the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Hi '86, welcome to the forum. My wife has epilepsy. Your brief intro reminds me of when we first met some ~20+ years ago.

Back
Top Bottom