Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AmberD86

New
Reaction score
Hey. I have been on Keppra for about two months now. My doctor said that at first I would be "grumpy".. well.. I feel a lot more then grumpy! He also said that would go away in a month. However, it has not. I find myself crying at tv shows, snapping on employees at work, and just feeling.. unstable. Anyone else have this problem with Keppra?

Hey Amber, welcome to CWE!
Many people get the moody blues with Keppra. Try taking a B6 supplement, it may help.

It all depends on the person. First on taking B6 I take 50mg 2x a day at the same time I take Keppra. As far as the side effects going away in a month that is optimistic and also depends on the dosage. It took me 6 months for the 'grumpy' side effects to reduce. I say reduce because every once in a while snap at someone.
Keppra is a drug that has a wide range of side effects including rage,depression, and hyperactivity. It can be a roller coaster but but eventually it becomes more like a kiddie coaster.
What dosage are you on?

Hi there, I've been on keppra (2000mg ) nearly the highest as the highest prescribed in the uk is 3000mg i also find myself crying at the most stupid things it got so bad that i cant watch anything weepie i find myself most suseptable to the tears in the morning but i dont really suffer from the mood swings too badly i was on topiramate before and i was evil on that but i take vitamin b for my periods so that could be the answer as to why i dont get too bad anymore, just bare with and if it gets really bad just consult your doctor it's what he gets paid for

I am on Keppra too. I went thru my "I am going to kick someone's butt" period....it probably lasted several weeks. But I survive it and I do see a huge improvement with seizures. However each person is different...if you find you cannot tolerate, talk to your doctor about other med options.
It is called KeppaRAGE for a reason! It does get better. When I looked at other med options and their side effects, I was determined to stay on Keppra. There is a Keppra XR, it is extended release and I did find my mood was more even on the XR.
jenn

I was on Keppra XR for a while but I stopped because my insurance wouldn't pay for it.

Now I am on 1500 mg of the regular Keppra.It costs me $60 a month even with my insurance. The insurance company wants me to take the GENERIC Keppra but my Doctor says NO to that. It's been a hard road on this drug. It takes a few months to iron out all the nasty side effects but it does stop the seizures.

I take 100 mg of Vitamin B6. I take a Magnesium Malate along with Calcium and Vitamin D3 and it seems to help. I also walk alot up to 5 hours a week and do one hour of yoga a week. I just started to go to massage therapy it seems to help but I don't know how much longer I can keep going to massage therapy because of the cost, it is expensive.

I am on a small dosage I believe.. 500 mg in the morning and at night??? I am going to have to get the B6 to try it .. first I gotta get a ride to the store :eek:)! Do you like the xr??? I haven't had anymore grand mal seizures since I started taking it this second time, but I still have episodes in my sleep. I am new to all this but this site is awesome and has helped answered a lot of my questions already. It's just nice to hear you are not alone and not dreaming this up! Thanks for listening and all your advice!!!!!!!!

I find myself crying at stuff I usually wouldn't cry at before .. .the other night I watched Grey's Anatomy for three hourse and did nothing but cry over Izz'es wedding lol.

I didn't stay on the XR because I had severe hair loss on it. Some people have hair loss on Keppra, but it is rare on XR...but I am just opposite. No hair loss on regular, so I am back on it.
I cry a lot, so I didn't notice any more crying....but I was emotional.
I started at 500mg twice a day and slowly my level has been increased. I am on 1250 mg twice a day. I think my doctor didn't up it in the beginning until I had been on it for 3 months. jenn
This place is great for support, information or just a shoulder to lean on, I would never be able to get thru without it!

Keep track of how the Keppra is affecting you -- if the depression and moodiness become intolerable, then it's time to talk to your doctor about trying a different med.

I had more hair loss on the Keppra XR than I do on the Keppra (regular) which I am presently taking 1500 mg a day.

Hey there and firstly, welcome to the forum :D

I take 2000mg Keppra and initially did suffer from extreme tiredness and generally no get up and go and grumpy as Victor Meldrew. I didn't go the B6 route - just toughed it out... wish I did give it a try now!

Every increase thereafter did result in some tiredness - but thankfully, it subsides with time (and rest).

Best of luck, try and stick with it - but as Nakamova indicated - keep a record and if things change or become unbearable, see your doctor :)

*hugs*

I started on the B6 but when I went to my neuro, he was NOT happy about it, said too much B can cause permanent neurological damage. He told me a multi-vitamin is max I should take and I should never add any supplements, vitamins, etc without checking with him first.

Everything in moderation. I understand your neurologist's concern, but if you're taking less than 300 mg per day, then you don't need to worry. (The average B-Complex has 100mg B6). And enough people have found relief from Kepprage with B6 that it's worth trying.

My wife's now former neurologist (see other posts) wanted her on Keppra since we are trying for kids soon. He sister is being treated for depression. We said no, but hell no. You can figure what fallowed after that.

I used to be on tegretol but it messed with my bone density and liver blood count So the Dr put me on Keppra he said it was the safest seizure drug to take for the body.

Yeah, I hear about a lot of people suffering from "Kepprage" after starting on Keppra, that's why I chose Lamictal. You might ask your doctor if another medication would be better for you.

hey AmberD86 welcome to the site, my name is Sharon.

I'm on keppra and I am an emotional person, but when my mom started asking me "why are you snapping at me" and I didn't know I was doing it, my family started to think that maybe I was about to have another seizure, since my mood changes like that but nothing happened(thank God), I would cry at the drop of a hat when I was first on it but all I thought it was only the fact that I was changing from one med to another(now I'm up to the max on keppra due to seizure's).

And it may help you to know that keppra is not a stand alone drug, my mom is a retired LPN she read up on it as soon as she could and learned that keppra is to be used with other anti-seizure meds.

I'm on lamictol and they have to put you on it slowly(rash warning), so you may want to talk to your doctor about adding that as an anti-depressant(its been helping me).

Cher,
I know Keppra has on their site that they are not a stand alone drug, but it is used as stand alone drug for many with very good results. I don't take other seizure meds, only Keppra and have good results.
I know my doctor and I talked about adding Vimpat to my Keppra, but I only take 1250 mg twice a day and until I reach max of 3000 mg per day...we are not going to add the Vimpat.

Back
Top Bottom