Nausea and Aura's?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
anyone experiencing nausea and vomiting as an aura?
for the last 3 weeks i get nauseated and sometimes even vomit out of no where, i can be doing anything from sitting to walking and bam, all of a sudden its like im on the ocean, it's happend 2 times during the day at about the same time and then late evening. I dont always throw up, but boy I want to, it seems after I do, i feel better. and the nausea dissappears just as fast as it came on .Im also jerking in my sleep, it wakes me. it seems like as soon as i doze off, i jerk and wake up. something weird is going on and this was happening prior to taking the levetiracetam (generic keppra). it's been about 2 weeks now, maybe longer. i started seeing a pychiatrist about a month ago, he suggested that i stop writing things down, he also thought it could be anxiety, not knocking it, but the stuff im experiencing is making me anxious. i researched it online, the nausea, but what i found was vague. your help is greatly appreciated as always, your advise is welcomed too! oh, cant sleep either, finding it harder to sleep and stay sleep?

A feeling of nausea -- especially a transitory one -- can be one kind of simple partial seizure. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18054131 It can also be anxiety-related, just to make things complicated.

The jerking awake just when you fall asleep isn't necessarily seizure-related. It's a fairly common thing called a "hypnic jerk". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk It can be related to anxiety and sleep issues, so that may be a factor too. Unfortunately it can sometimes be tough to separate some symptoms of anxiety from seizure-related ones, and one can also cause the other.

I understand why your therapist said not to write stuff down -- in some cases it can put too much focus on the things that make us anxious or upset -- but it might be more helpful for him to give you tools to cope with any resulting anxiety or stress. Has he done so? One thing that might help is to also write down when your are feeling well, and/or male a note when something good happens.

Have you checked in with your neurologist about your symptoms?

Your A "God Send".

Wow, I searched the internet for answers and there were so many to chose from I didnt know were to start. I found both sites very imformative. I am going to contact my neuro dr today and tell him about the episodes of nausea and vomiting. The pychiatrist is basically done with me because I opted to follow the plan of the neuro dr, ie taking keppra ect. He offered direction to a pychologist but had no other advise or help for me. He suggested that I try the keppra for a month and if I found it was not helping to come back and see him and perhaps treat my symptoms as anxiety. Nakoma, Im so tired and scared, things keep changing, just as I relax and start feeling well, something else happens. I am going to write down all of the good things that happen or days when I have no issues, I think that is a great ideal. I need something positive right now. But, I seriously dread calling neuro dr. I get the feeling that all of my dr's have grown tired of me.

Normal to dread calling the neuro. But go for it just the same -- they are there to help, or should be. Are you still on the Keppra? It's known to cause anxiety or to make it worse.

Only took it once

no, I only took it for the first time this past tuesday and i only took it in the morning (1-500 mg tablet), by the time i got home in the evening i was too sick to take another one and too scared to do so. Its a shame tho, i have 3 bottles of it, because its to be taken 2 times a day i guess. i already tried to call neuro dr, i just missed them, they went to lunch, im going to try to call again this afternoon (if my boss doesnt mind). I really need to talk to neuro dr. I know I need to be taking something. Im not myself anymore. I dont know who I am most of the time. I hate this, really hate this. I understand now why family and friends are stand-offish. Im going to get this together if its kills me. Its so much more going on, so much more. I wont bore anyone else with the details. I'm finally at the point where dr's are at least trying meds. So it' s just a matter of trial and error before they/we find the right one? I'm hopeful.
I miss spelled your name earlier, Im so sorry : (
Thank you for helping me, I feel better knowing I can come here and share what Im going thru. I dont have to hold it in all day and re-live it over, and over and over. It helps so much to talk. : )

One of my SP’s involves nausea coupled with the feeling of nostalgia. I call it nostalgic nausea… but I’m not looking fondly back on times of nausea :). Recently I has changed to this nauseas, terrible blah feeling. That’s the best way I can describe it… anyways, you’re not alone :D

Blah

thank you P-Funk, that's just how I feel when the nausea starts. I could be laughing feeling real great and pow, a sock in the stomach. I thought I had the flu at first or some kind of bug, but it went away just as sudden as it came on. Then a few days later it happened again. My sister is law works at a hospital in social services, I've been sharing with her some of the stuff, but one evening I was at her home and out of the blue, pow/bam I got realy sick, so she spoke with some of the LISW's and of course they had tons of info to include seizure info. So that's why I asked if anyone else has nausea/vomiting as an aura, especially when I couldn't find anything concrete. I had it again the other night, I noticed that my stomach felt like it was litterally moving, contracting just above my navel. It could all be in my mind tho, I stop trying to guess Im giving it to the professionals, let them figure it out.
Thanks for sharing P-Funk!

Back
Top Bottom