need help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hello again, IF she is cutting, is she with a psychologist? therapist? someone to talk this thru? I found a neuro psychologist who really helped my son alot. If shes cutting, from what I understand is, she is trying to feel better. Although going about it the wrong way. Nonetheless, she is trying to cope. She feels so much pain within, the physical pain almost a relief. I can say, so far, hes the only Dr that has made my son "feel" better or maybe more understand himself and whats going on. I'm sorry its such a hard time for you. I hope it gets better soon.
While my daughters meds were being switched I opted for home instruction. That is where my daughters teachers come to the house once a week for an hour. It supposed to last 4 weeks and give her time to catch up and adjust to the new meds. We go to the Dr tomo and we shall see where we are then.

Hang in there
joan*

Is there something that she has been wanting to learn how to do but can't get it at her school? Something that is total enjoyment for her? Dance, music, theater, sport...?
This might be something to look forward to.

Rebecca's therapist is something that she never wants to miss. She will do anything not to miss that appt. It is great at this age to have someone other than mom and dad to talk to.

Okay so the Dr.'s nurse never called back yesterday like she said she would. I am done with that neurologist. Today is the day that I try to find someone new. I also talked to a lady from the PACER center, she gave me alot of information as to how to help my daugher in school. She said that she will send me some info through the mail and email me some things too. She agreed that I should get a 2nd opinion. I am all for that since this doc seems to have his head up his a**. Sorry just a little pissed. Thank you all, you words mean more than you know.

Here is the update. There are no other pediatric neurologists in my area so....the nurse called back and they are going to try Depakote. Any thoughts about that? I am really scared to start a new drug since she hasn't had any seizures since November but I think it is necessary at this point. I am going to start them on Saturday and then after two weeks she can start weaning off the Trileptal.... wish me luck.....hopefully this drug will be the one and if it isn't I think I am going to look into the whole diet thing. These drugs seem like killers to me.... and I am scared!!!

Here is the update. There are no other pediatric neurologists in my area so....the nurse called back and they are going to try Depakote. Any thoughts about that? I am really scared to start a new drug since she hasn't had any seizures since November but I think it is necessary at this point. I am going to start them on Saturday and then after two weeks she can start weaning off the Trileptal.... wish me luck.....hopefully this drug will be the one and if it isn't I think I am going to look into the whole diet thing. These drugs seem like killers to me.... and I am scared!!!

Hi !

I was on Depakote for over 20 years. It worked very well for me. It's other use is a mood stabilizer. For me, that meant I didn't get to upset or depressed, and I didn't get ridiculously happy. So it might help her. Just remember to get her blood levels checked, make sure that she gets enough calcium, and don't be surprised if she's sleepy at first or gains weight. Also, hair thinning can be a side effect...so watch out for it.

I will make sure that she gets enough calcium. I am a little worried about the weight thing because I think she gained weight from Trileptal. We have been eating way better though and I will just have to keep an eye on things. She has very thick hair so maybe she will be okay. Thanks for the advice!!:soap:

Hi Brandie, (belated) welcome to the forum. :hello:

Just about every AED can increase the risk for suicide. I'm glad you are taking your daughter's behavior (or reaction to meds) seriously.

Because the situation with your daughter (and side effects) seems to be pretty severe, I'd recommend you investigate some proactive steps you can initiate that might help reduce her dependence upon the meds.

I'd also recommend you look into a "seizure control" diet such as the LGIT, neurobehavioral therapy techniques and EEG neurofeedback. All of them can help reduce dependence on drugs.

... She does have ADHD ...

EEG neurofeedback is also used to treat ADHD and many insurance carriers will cover it for that.

Back
Top Bottom