Need some info please

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new here. I need someone to talk to because I am just freaking out. Anyway my mother is 50 back in July we were getting ready to get in the car for a 7 hour road trip. As soon as she stepped off the porch she started having a seizure. She has NEVER had one before, and at the time I had to clue what was going on. I was so scared! I really thought she was dying. My kids were in the car already and they were afraid. So I took charge and called 911 and tried to reassure them it was ok. Even though I wasn't sure if it was or not. Well she has gotten a lot better since then. I have been taking her to a nuerologist he has been running test. We haven't gotten really anywhere with that. Other than she has no brain tumor or anything visable. We me my mom and sister in law were sitting on the front porch yesterday, and next thing I know she starts having another seizure. My poor sister in law had the same look on her face as I did the first time. Anyway now that this has happend again (which I was sure never would happen again) I am so scared. I feel as if I need to be watching her 24/7. I don't know what to do. I know there is much I can do, but I am so on edge. I don't want to go thorugh this or see her go through this again. I know she is scared too, and I cannot reasure her that it won't happen again. So is there something I need to stay on the doctor about to make sure we find out what is going on? Could it be medication related? I just don't understand. Thank you all for reading.

Hello there

and welcome to CWE!

You have found the PERFECT place for support. There are LOTS of nooks in crannies in this AWESOME house that Mr B has built us here.

You don't say what type of seizure your mother had....there are over 40 types, truthfully.

Might I suggest you read a couple of links for some helpful information? Check these out........

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/epilepsy+101.html

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/auras.html

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/alternative+treatments.html

http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/types_seizures

It's a lot to digest...........but, you'll find it helpful, I hope.

Take care. We'll be here for ya.

Meetz
:rock:

Sorry I do not know too much about all the seizures. I do know they said it was a grand mal. All I know is it was a horrible thing to have to watch twice now. Thanks for the warm welcome

Ahhhhh, I

see. The old name for the Tonic Clonics, which is what I have....except mine are at night, during my sleep cycle.

And yes, they ARE scary to watch. I'm sorry you've had to go through this in such a manner.........but your mother is lucky to have you.

You asked about the second one, and its occurrence. It's possible that it happened because the level of meds is just not enough now....and will have to be titrated up...or possibly have to add another one onto it. Either way, stick by your mother, and help her feel comfortable talking to the doctor. Remember YOU (SHE) PAYS THE DOCTOR'S SALARY........so THEY NEED TO LISTEN. If they don't, then it is time to go doctor shopping. *eyeroll* I know that sounds annoying, but at the same time, it may very well be necessary.

Do read the links though. You'll really learn a lot from them. If you'd like to PM (private message) me, feel free.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Hi Phillipsgirl -- just like Meetz said, your mother is lucky to have you!
I'll bet she is really depending you.
I was 48 when my seizures started. It was a shocking , sometimes (for me) heart breaking experience and, oh, how difficult it was to learn to depend on other people.

Bless your heart!

Hi phillipsgirl, welcome to the forum. :hello:

It's really scary when you first embark down the road of epilepsy. It's humbling to see just how helpless we can be.

Education is the key to alleviating fear/anxiety. Meetz gave you some links to good information to start your journey.

Like I said this is new to me

:ponder:Here is a little more information about what my mom is going through. She is currently not on any medications for the seizures itself. They are still running test to find out what might be happening. She is bipoler and if you ask me she is on an absolutey ridculous amount of Seroquel. I have been complaing to the doctors for a while about the medication and now her neurologist is saying that is could be the seroquel. So it's a little frustrating because I know it takes a while to figure out what it could be, but in my eyes it's not thier mother going through this IT'S MINE! Anyway thats a little more of the story. Also I wanted to know can epiilepsy start at any age? That you all for helping me through this!

Erica

Hi Erica - Welcome

I do know the feeling as I watched my then 14 yr old have a tonic clonic seizure. It is very scary the first time.

To answer your first question... yes medication can play a part in seizure disorders.
It is extremely difficult to find out where the imbalance is occuring. My view however is.. for my daughter she was seizure free for 14 yrs of her life. I needed to find out a way to bring her body systems back into balance and raise her threshold level.

You mention your mother is bipolar. Perhaps that was the first symptom that was the wakeup call. The doctors tend to just medicate because they really don't know what else to do. There are nutritional changes that can be made that increase the stability of brain function. Sometimes this needs to be supplemented with vitamins and minerals. Finding the right balance requires a lot of research, journaling, and diligence. Most people would just rather "pop a pill".

We tried four medications for my daughter and the side effects were horrendous and the quality of life was not acceptable to us. So my now 16 yr old is med free. She has made nutritional changes, added a variety of vitamins and minerals, and we do neurofeedback that has helped to stabilize brain function. It has made a huge difference in helping her on the road to health.

Erica ;)
Welcome! C'mon in & take a load off your feet & mind. Mm-hmm, epilepsy is an equal opportunity medical condition. I had a severe tonic clonic in 1990 w/ no family history of epilepsy. You will find tons of support & advice here, so I encourage you to return. Take care & best wishes to your mom on a quick & complete recovery :) ~Ann

Hi Erica,

I know how frightening it is to witness a seizure for the first time. I've had them for years and my kids have witnessed them and several times they thought I was going to die. Mine first occurred at age 23 with no family history of epilepsy.
As for your mother, since you mentioned she is bipolar and taking a huge amount of Seroquel, there is a possibility the Seroquel could bring on seizures. The doctors need to work together to find out what is going on in her brain. Also, beware that some of these meds used for bipolar disorder can bring on diabetes. I took zyprexa for a short time. I am now diabetic and have to take insulin, thanks to that drug, on top of seizure meds!
I sure hope you will find an answer to your questions. Hang in there!

Cindy

In answer to your questions, seizures CAN happen at any age. I am 48 and my started this year. There are people on here that have had seizures there whole life, people that starting in 20s and old folks like me. I think you have come to the right place for support, welcome

any age?

:ponder: Ao it doesn't matter what age it starts? Well I am just hoping it the medication she is on right now is she on about 1800 mg of seroquel a day. If you ask me it's just too much. I have had doctors agree with me. That you all for the very helpful information. I will try to keep posting I just never know what to say on the things. all i pray for is that I NEVER have to witness this again. I know no one can promise that. Hopefully over time my nerves will settle down. SHe is telling me today she still feels "werid" like dajva and nausa I know could be an aura she has never had one before. Hers just starts. SO I don't know if it is the after effects of the seizure or what. Maybe someone else might now. Thanks

Erica:huh:

Hello girl i know it is a scary thing , a good thing to do if it happens again would be real calm and relaxed, and make sure there is nothing around that may injure her. tell her to chill out at home or even your home for a short time until you can figure out what the cause is. and not to drive but im sure you already know all this but i like to tell people stuff about it. soon im sure they will give her medication to control the seizures. and get her to get this website for some personal advice. there is no quick answer thats for sure. The more information you read or get the better you will feel. Having seizures is not as bad as they look. But then again ive had them for 18 years. Stay confident!
meditate.gif

Hi! Welcome!

If your mom truly is bipolar, there are medications that are used for both bipolar and epilepsy.

Hi! Welcome!

If your mom truly is bipolar, there are medications that are used for both bipolar and epilepsy.

yeah they give me depakote which is a pill used for bipolar or seizures or both

Well that is really awesome that there is a medication out there to treart both disorders. I mean no offense to anyone when I say I really hope she doesn't have these for the rest of his life. Because it scares me so bad. I know it get easier to handle as it goes on, but it is still hard. God bless all of you that have to deal with this problem everyday. Could you all give me a list of the anti seizure meds you are on so I know some options and I can do some research. That way I can talk to the doctor about what might be best for my mom. Also let me know which ones have worked best for each and everyone of you. Thank you guys so much. Have a great weekend(well was left of it)

Erica

Hi there again!

So, she has bi-polar.....well, yes.....it IS possible to control that with AED meds, and it IS possible for seizures to start at ANY TIME. Some people have them start as late as their 70s! As to what type of meds can be used for bi-polar and seizures, I believe Depakote and Lamictal are two of the popular ones. Don't quote me on that, but you might want to look them up.

www.rxlist.com is usually full of good information.

And, personally, I think you're right about that dosage of Seroquel.....but I'm not a doctor, either........but if other doctors are saying the same thing, then that is just plain NUTS.

Make sure you stay on top of the doctors....sometimes that is what they need...a bulldog right behind them!!! :bigsmile::bigmouth::roflmao:

Good luck!

Meetz

Hi Erica ! Welcome to CWE. As you can see, a friendly place. Sorry to hear about your mom. I pretty much agree with everything that everyone said up above. I'd also suggest that your mom start keeping a journal. Have her write down everything she eats and drinks and how much and when....also, how much sleep she gets every night and any stresses she's under. Many of us here who have seizures find that there are specific things that can trigger them. For example, I have grand mals like your mom, and I know not to go anyplace that has strobe lights, to limit my caffeine, and to make sure I get around 6-7 hours of sleep a night...also, because I'm hypoglycemic, I have to make sure that I eat about 5-6 times a day to keep my blood sugar up. ....Just a quick question....and I know it's personal...but if your mom is starting to go through menopause, that might have played a part in triggering her seizure. Some of us ladies find that we're more likely to have seizures at certain times of the month. Anyway, having your mom keep a journal will help her doctor make a diagnosis by giving me them as much information as possible. I hope this helps.

I have to say I know it's a hard thing, but my family has a CRAZy sense of humor. My mom had to have the 24 EEG done, and the things on her head shs looks just like a cone head. All I can say is atleast I actually laugh today because it's been a while. Depresson has set in full force! :roflmao:

Laughing WITH your mom can be a joy that you all will never forget. Laughter can help you through some very scary and difficult times, won't it?

Back
Top Bottom