New to this

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KellieJ77

New
Reaction score
Hello
I have just recently (Sept.5,2017)started having these strange feelings. My primary doctor says I’m having anxiety or panic attacks but I’m pretty positive that is not the case. Had my husband not been diagnosed with epilepsy 4 years ago I might have gone along with that diagnosis. With my own research I have found that what I experience is a lot like a simple partial seizure. I get a intense nausea upside down feeling in my stomach, I get a quick pain in my head, then a strange tingley hot feeling goes down my body, everything around me looks normal but not, like I’m out of my body. Then I can hardly talk or move. In my brain I know I can move but I just can’t do it. I have to think hard on the words I am trying to say if I can say anything. That is when I get a fearful feeling like something really bad is about to happen. Some days I seem to have weak ones and some days they are strong. I feel like something just switched in my brain. Most days I just feel off. It’s scary and a little frustrating. I am having a routine EEG Tuesday and then possibly wearing it home for monitoring and then an MRI in 2 weeks. My Nuerologist is looking for seizures, migraines, or anxiety. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Hi Kellie,

Welcome to CWE! Just like you I get a nervous feeling in my stomach and see colors flashing back and forth in my eyes this is known as a simple partial also called an aura seizure. The moment you start to feel that coming on tighten up all the muscles in your body and make your hands into tight fists, my neuro taught me this back in the 1970's and it has stopped many seizures if I do it quick enough.
You mentioned that everything around you looks normal but not this could be what is called a "jamais vu" which is a form of a seizure where everything around looks normal but you aren't sure you are where you are. For ex. if you are sitting in your living room and everything around you looks familiar but you're still not sure of where you are. This has been happening to me many yrs. I found I just have to concentrate and tell myself where I am and then it stops.
One thing that has really helped me a lot is seeing an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy, you may want to have your family Dr. refer you to see one. I've gotten the most help from an Epileptologist than any neuro I've seen in the past 45 yrs.
Be sure to start keeping track of these possible seizures get a calendar and write down what time they happen by doing this the Dr. may see a pattern in the seizure. I always have 2 days of seizures the 3rd week of each month and a lot of that is do to hormones changing. Cut back on the carbs and starch foods and start eating foods high in fat this will build up ketones in your body which in turn will reduce your possible seizures. I wish you the best of luck with the e.e.g. and MRI. I will tell you that before I started to have seizures I started having migraines and then the seizures started later on. Have your family keep alert and take note if you have a daydream look on your face or seemed confused like you weren't aware of what happened this could be a form of an absence seizure like I have. Good Luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey KellieJ77, welcome to CWE!

What you describe definitely sounds like a simple partial seizure. Do you keep a journal of the episodes? Sometimes you can identify a trigger (such as fatigue or certain foods or hormonal fluctuations) that may be playing a role.

Thank you

Thank you for the information. I do log every episode. Of course now that I’m finally able to see the Nuerologist I haven’t had any strong episodes. They seem to have subsided a little. I still have times where I feel off, just not right. It is frustrating because I can’t describe exactly how it feels. I have an app that I track my menstrual cycle and I compared them and it doesn’t seem to happen around the same time. But they definitely happen mostly in the evenings or at bed. I’m going to start a food log as well as my episode log. As I said in my original post , my husband was diagnosed with epilepsy 4 years ago, how odd is it that I could possibly be having seizures as well? Going to have water and soil tests done as soon as I get tests results. These forums are so helpful. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom