New Guy.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stattick

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

About 5 years ago I was referred to a neurologist for suspected epilepsy. All the Eeg's they did came back with temporal slowing or nothing. Until the last one. It had some abnormal spikes.

I have never had anything more than a simple partial seizure and was an a very small dose of what my doctor called frisium (10 mgs daily). After the last eeg confirmed the epilepsy my doctor switched my medication to 1000MG of Levetiracetam daily (500mg 2x). I believe the common name used here is Keppra?

This was just over 2 weeks ago. It has made me very tired. To the point that I left work the other day to go home and sleep. Hopefully this is just a getting used to it period, and it does seem like a common reaction. Luckily I haven't noticed any other side effects from the meds other than that.

Just wanted to say hi.

Stattick.

Welcome to the site.

There's a lot of people here that have been or are on Keppra, myself included. My advice is to see if the side-effects wear off & if not then to ask yourself what effects your life the most negatively, the side-effects or your seizures.

Meanwhile make yourself at home & check the site out. Lots of reference material on this site as well as very supportive individuals.

Howdy Stattick, welcome to CWE!

Eric's advice is good. Side effects hit people differently, and sometimes they lessen once the body gets used to the med. If they don't, or if they get worse, or they begin to seriously affect your quality of life, then you reevaluate.

Some people find that they get moody on Keppra. If you find that happening to you, try taking a B vitamin supplement with B6 in it. It can help.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi stattick and welcom to CWE...if you've checked it out you've probably noticed that there is a ton of info available and that the folks here are great and quite supportive. Bernard did a bang-up job when he created this place :) Hope to hear from you more and hope you enjoy your stay!

Welcome Stattick to CWE
Side effects weren't acceptable to me when my daughter began having seizures at the age of 14. The side effects were worse than the seizures.

So we began looking into alternative therapies. We have done neurofeedback with positive results, but what has helped her the most is making nutritional changes.
Eliminating foods, exchanging others... it has made a huge improvement however there are not immediate results. It takes time.

Welcome to our group
I have simple and complex partials in the partiel lobe. I have been on Keppra for 2 years. It is an amazing drug as far as controlling seizures...but it does have side effects. Some people cannot tolerate them and have to switch. I know what you mean about being sleepy...the first month was tough..but it does get better. I have had a few break through seizures...so my levels have been adjusted several times and I go thru the sleepys again!
You will read about Kepprage on here....the drug does amplify your emotions...really mad mad...really sad sad. That didn't hit me until I was on it for a few months. My neuro talked to me about other drugs but I thought side effects of other drugs were worse, so I tough it out. I asked my doc about B supplement and he told me I should only take a multivitamin, as that is max amount of B vitamins that I should take in a day. My neuro is concerned about studies that show permanent neurolical damage due to too much B. My neuro said ALL supplements, over the counter drugs should be approved by him. I know a lot of people swear by B supplements, but check with your doctor first.
This place is my home away from home...It makes me feel normal
jenn

Welcome Stattick, There is a wealth of collective knowledge and even as important supportive people. Just keep sharing and asking questions and I think you will get some answers and probably even give some great ones yourself.

God Bless and take care!

John

Back
Top Bottom