New Hear FACS - the facts?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bexi

New
Reaction score
Dear All I wonder if any of you could help. I am a epilepic mother of a three year old child. I took 400 mg of epilim twice a day during pregnancy and breastfeeding. My daughter had no problems at birth and was born 7lbs 2oz . She was always very early in her physical development milestones but I would say for her age her speech is somewhat delayed. She is saying small sentences and says quite alot of words but I would say she is not very good at forming her own language better at repeating things. She has a very keen sense of humour. I have just read some things on FACS and wondered if I should be worried about the speech delay...I am having difficulty finding symptoms etc on the internet. She has quite a wide bridge on her nose and I have read this may be a feature of children with FACS she also has almond shaped eyes but then so do I and she is the spitting image of me as a child.
I hate to label children and believe that they all do things eventually in their own time and according to their ability but I would be interested to know if you all think it is worth taking her and discussing her speech with a doctor and that it may be connected to FACS. Any help would be appreciated as I just read an article and spent the morning crying!!!

Hi Bexi --

I moved your post to give it it's own thread, so folks can see it and welcome you. I don't have any advice to give you, but I hope you can find some answers here at CWE for you and your daughter.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome Bexi

My personal opinion is that if it is bothering you than it is worth it to bring your child in to the doctor & ask the appropriate questions.

If it's nothing then it's worth it for your peace of mind & if it's something then it's worth it to get a good start dealing with the issue at hand.

If you're worried, there is nothing wrong with bringing it up to her doctor. You are going to drive yourself crazy wondering about it....so getting it checked now is going to put your mind at ease.

I have 3 boys who have had speech issues (no, I'm not the epileptic, my son is). Our oldest caught up around 3-4 years old. Our 3 year old has been in speech for over a year now and our 20 month old starts next week. It is amazing how much therapy helps...amazing!

I was concerned with our 3 year olds speech when he was 18 months. He wasn't saying much (mama and dada) and the Pediatrician told me that they wouldn't start therapy until a child was 2. He did order a hearing test just in case and we found out that he had fluid in his ear most of the time. He wasn't hearing as well as he could, so they put tubes in and we started therapy (by this time, he had just turned 2). He grew by leaps and bounds, but was still having issues with certain ending sounds, so they diagnosed him with speech apraxia.

Now, our youngest child seems to be having the same issues. We just had a hearing test done and it needs to be redone in June since he didn't pass his first test. He is behind in his speech, but only a little, but his understand of people talking to him is so much more advanced that the therapist wants to start him on therapy since he's so frustrated with not being able to communicate. We'll see how this goes and I hope he does so much better and doesn't need the therapy for as long. :)

So, all this just to say that you need to see your daughter's doctor. It may be just a delay. It may be more. It may be that she's just fine and you're worrying over nothing. However, nothing is going to make you feel better than finding out. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom