New here- 17 years old- Please read and reply! :S

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there!

My name is Claudia and I just turned 17 while on my trip to California two weeks ago( we returned home yesterday).

So, what has brought me here?

Well, about a week before leaving to the Golden State, finals were taking place and daydreaming of visiting Disneyland and other theme parks inevitably occured.

The weekend before we were due to leave and after taking 2 of my five finals, the nights were occupied by endless studying and the days with exhausting planning and gathering of my clothes and things for the vacation :woot:.

My first ever episode occured while in my Mom's car. We were just coming home from a day at the mall after 2 finals when for what seemed like 2 seconds, I felt in a fog, sort of a dream-like state. I was conscious and could see everything but I wasn't in control of myself. After that VERY brief feeling, both my shoulders contracted ( as if I was shrugged) and my head/neck tilted foward and I blinked once involuntarily.I didn't think much of it until it happened once again in the backseat of my dad's car. The day after, while studying for my tests at night, I had the same things happen to me. I knew it was going to happen a split second before.

On that 3rd episode, I was agitated right after it. A few minuted after the occurance, my left arm jerked and then I felt weakness in that arm for a little a bit afterwards.

The next day consisted of a few jerks of one and both of my shoulders ( shrugging) and one of my legs.

The second "type" of episode which I experienced was that right after I came upstairs from getting some water (I was speaking to my Mom), out of the blue I find myself opening my eyes or to put it in better terms, "waking up" to hearing my mom repeatedly asking me that same questions awaiting a response. I was not able to talk for 5 seconds and then I responded...It's as if I stopped talking and was not there and that is why my Mom was left "hangning" in the conversation.

The day we left for the trip, I had slept 3 hours the night before. During the second flight ( around 10:00 A.M.) I had a "cluster" of these episodes. I had already slept in the first plane ride( 2 1/2 hours) so I was sort of just relaxing because I had recently woken up. I was drowsy and then I had the same fod-like feeling. As if I'm there, but not there, and then bam...after a second (literally) my WHOLE body jerked in synchronization. All of my limbs jerked towards the same direction (inwards- don't know how to describe it). Good thing I was sitting down!

After that, I had a few jerks of my arms. Then something strange happened. I was listening to a song and then in a blink of an eye, I found myself listening to another part of the song that doesn't come until half a minute later. Like I jumped the track or something but I didn't physically.

Throughout the course of the whole stay in the States ( 2 weeks), I had more than 20 episodes of both symmetrical and assymetrical jerks of the arms, sometimes legs, and two times, the whole boy, once VERY violently.

The violent episode occured during the night. I was already asleep but the fog-like state woke me up 2 seconds before the jerk. My eyes usally open very quickly before a major jerk. My whole body very violently and hard spasmed, waking my mom up. She asked me what was wrong but I was way too drowsy and sleepy to answer her. Note, this is not the normal jerk some people get as they are faaling asleep. I have had those plenty of times and this one was WAY different. The episode made me wake up before the jerk, instead of the jerk waking the person up as is usual with hypnic jerks.

I have noticed that when the jerks are not "major", I do not feel anything prior to them as opposed to a "major one" where I'm conscious but not responsive for a split second. It's weird, I know.

Returning back home, we took a red eye flight. Nothing much occured during the flight, but on the last flight right after the red eye one, I experienced jerks or spasms that would sometimes affect my left arm and the right side of my face at the same time. Since we got home yesterday, these new facial spasm have been occuring, usally either with or right after a jerk of one extremity. Sometimes, the facial spasm occur by themselves. They are sometimes my lower lip twitching or the muscles near my cheek and right ear contracting, sort of "lifting" that side of my face up. Since coming back home, my episodes have not stopped and have become something that occurs about maybe every half hour or sometimes like 5 in 10 minutes. Right now, my leg(s) will contract and move on their own, either one or both (at the same time) of my arms would jerk, sometimes afecting, my eyes and/or neck position.

I had one other full body jerk while standing but thank God it was mild one therefore hard to notice by someone else.

As I was typing these, I had 15 episodes of bilteral shoulder/arm jerk, unilateral and bilateral leg jerks, most of which affected my face. ( made me blink alond with it).

I don't know how to describe it to my parents and I don't think they'll believe and just pass it on as "normal",,which they could be right.

I'm pretty sure this is not psychological at all!!

I live with my Mom and my dad is in Chile until next Saturday. She is very occupied unpacking and cannot handle doctor appointments right now. Plus, the weekend is coming up and a lot of Dr.'s aren't available or jsut too full.

I mean, this is only jerks,????

If it were soemthing serious and urgent, then something else would have happened to me already, right?

Should I even tell my mom or dad?

Sorry for the long post!

Claudia

Hello and welcome to CWE!

You should absolutely tell your parents :)
I believe they're called Myoclonic Jerks or spasms.... and yes that is a type of seizure. It also sounds like you may be experiencing some partial or partial-complex seizure symptoms as well, judging by your descriptions of what has been going on.
You should certainly set up a doctors appointment as soon as you can, at your primary doctor, and then they'll give you a referral to a neurologist, who will be better able to tell you what is going on. :)

Yes defently tell your parents and let them know that it wasn't just a one time thing that it's happened several times and how long it's been going on. This will make them realize that something should be done about it, and it's more important than unpacking.

Also as Silat said set up a dr's appointment. Let them know what you have been doing and you think that it could be seizure related. If it's something seirous they will usually try to get you in faster.

Stress and overexerating yourself is a big seizure trigger for me. It sounds like you've been going through both.

Alot of they things that you said that you are doing sounds like things that I will do when I have some seizures. I'll have little jerks in my arms and legs.

Also alot of times during a seizure I'll black out, sometimes for just a short times and other times longer. I might be awake and know what's going on around me but I can't respond to any of it. If I try to talk what's coming out of my mouth isn't what I'm trying to say, it's usually just very slured speach that doesn't make any sense at all.

Sometimes I'll know when I'm going to have a seizure, I just 'won't feel right'. I don't know how to describe it. That feeling could stay with me during the whole seizure until I come out of it. Other times I'll have that same feeling then black out not knowing anything that's going on around me.

Defently have your parents get you in to see a dr.

To the both that replied, thank you.

My Mom is really stressed at this very moment because she and my Dad are arguing over text message( they're getting a divorce btw), and I know that if I tell her something medical, she'll tell me the usual, "I don't have time for that now. I don't have a lot of money and you're dad is already stressing me out." So, I think I'll save myself that speech.

Maybe I can tell my dad throught text.

So, an appointment should be made to my pediatrician? But then, how would he know to send me to a neurologist if I don't know how to adequately describe what's been going on?

I'm really like in the stage of debating if I should tell an adult or not...if it's worth mentioning or not.

It needs to be mentioned. Uncontrolled, these things have the tendency to get worse. So the sooner you can take care of things, the better.

Judging by your description you gave to us, I think you'll easily be able to adequately describe the situation. :) If you don't feel you do, just copy and print a copy of what you already wrote and hand it to them, if you can't find the words at the time.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents... but you should tell one or both of them. And soon. The sooner you tell them, the sooner you can get things under control. :)

Thanks, Silat!!!!!

I will definitely inform my dad..my Mom's too mad right now. But, my dad will not be home till next Saturday , the 16th.

Anyway, I'll just go ahead and do it.

To the both that replied, thank you.

So, an appointment should be made to my pediatrician? But then, how would he know to send me to a neurologist if I don't know how to adequately describe what's been going on?

I'm really like in the stage of debating if I should tell an adult or not...if it's worth mentioning or not.

When telling the dr about things they usually understand what you are talking about or they will ask you questions to better understand what you are going through.

Yes, tell an adult. Espically if it's something that YOU are worried about.

This doesn't compare to something like when you were younger and running up the steps and falling down them and gotten a black and blue mark. You don't want to tell your parents about that black and blue mark because you know your are going to get in trouble because you aren't supposta be running up the steps.

If you don't think that you can get through to your mom then yes, try your dad.

When telling the dr about things they usually understand what you are talking about or they will ask you questions to better understand what you are going through.

Yes, tell an adult. Espically if it's something that YOU are worried about.

This doesn't compare to something like when you were younger and running up the steps and falling down them and gotten a black and blue mark. You don't want to tell your parents about that black and blue mark because you know your are going to get in trouble because you aren't supposta be running up the steps.

If you don't think that you can get through to your mom then yes, try your dad.

I just emailed my dad!

He performs sonograms in the E.R. but is not familiar with any other field. He is right now with other doctors so maybe he can ask one of his friends for an opinion and recommendations.

The jerks are now occuring more regularly and frequently in the past hour.

It could be coming from the stress that you are going through right now because you don't know what to do and are having trouble trying to figure it out.

Hopefully when your dad talks to the drs he'll see that you should probably go see someone about it.

Good luck.

Claudia I'm sorry what you've been going through and especially with your parents how they are. Whatever is happening between them right now, the fact is that YOU MATTER and they both have a responsibility to you and that includes providing safety food shelter education and medical attention, these are your basic human rights that every parent resident or absent, owes to their offspring. Regardless of their inconvenience.

Well done for reaching out and getting help. That's a huge step forwards. Hoping it all works out for you.

Meantime relax and keep breathing! :)

Thanks, guys!!

My dad wants me to get checked and told me to tell my mom when she calms down..she's venting right now.

I'm taking Zoloft..is there a link? But I've been taking it for a year now.

Why not call the docs office yourself and set up an appt if its too stressful for your mom.

The jerks aren't stopping and I have at least one every 5 minutes. They are subtle jerks, not really violent right now.

Will they cease once I go to sleep?

Sounds like she's mad at the world anyway, not just you. Let's work with helping yourself: Have you a friend you can ask for a lift, just this once? Could you manage a taxi-fare or do it by bus?

The jerks aren't stopping and I have at least one every 5 minutes. They are subtle jerks, not really violent right now.

Will they cease once I go to sleep?
Unfortunately it's hard to predict what can happen. Certain phases of sleep (usually right before falling asleep or right when waking up) are when folks are most prone to seizure activity. Have you been eating and drinking healthily? Avoid caffeine and sodas if possible -- they may make your symptoms worse. And try progressive relaxation when you lie down to go to sleep: Start by briefly tensing and then releasing your toes, and then your feet, and then your legs, and so on, all the way on up to your head and neck. Go slowly and breath in a relaxed way. Hope it helps!

If you can, try and be proactive with your overall health -- eat and drink healthily, avoid stress, try and get a good night's sleep. Another useful thing is to write down everything you've been experiencing -- when your symptoms occur, what happens, how long they go on. Include as much detail as possible -- this will be helpful for the doctors. From the descriptions you posted above, I think it's pretty clear that you are having myoclonic seizures and absences or complex partials, and I think a neurologist will recognize that as well.

Best,
Nakamova

Unfortunately it's hard to predict what can happen. Certain phases of sleep (usually right before falling asleep or right when waking up) are when folks are most prone to seizure activity. Have you been eating and drinking healthily? Avoid caffeine and sodas if possible -- they may make your symptoms worse. And try progressive relaxation when you lie down to go to sleep: Start by briefly tensing and then releasing your toes, and then your feet, and then your legs, and so on, all the way on up to your head and neck. Go slowly and breath in a relaxed way. Hope it helps!

If you can, try and be proactive with your overall health -- eat and drink healthily, avoid stress, try and get a good night's sleep. Another useful thing is to write down everything you've been experiencing -- when your symptoms occur, what happens, how long they go on. Include as much detail as possible -- this will be helpful for the doctors. From the descriptions you posted above, I think it's pretty clear that you are having myoclonic seizures and absences or complex partials, and I think a neurologist will recognize that as well.

Best,
Nakamova

I will go and try and relax now. I'm going to eat a bit of oatmeal now and then drift off to sleep. Maybe my mom can arrange for my pediatrician to see me tomorrow morning and from there he can make a refferal?

This forum has helped me and eased off my worries for now. :):D:comp:

Sleep well! And the pediatrician should be able to refer you to a neuro.

Hi guys!

Tomorrow, my mom is going to call some Neurologists in my area to find out their office hours, if they accept our medical plan, and if we need a refferal.

Does anyone have any idea why I've been having an increased number of these attacks? Just days ago, they only occured when I was very fatigued or did not sleep enough the night before, but now, I'm getting these mild to moderat jerks of all my extremeties ( sometimes it's just one, sometimes two at the same time) about 1 and 1/2 hours after awakening and throughout the day.

Another thing, it seems as though they've changed or something. I know it sounds strange, but most of the time when my leg or arm/shoulder jerks, I will get a facial spasm ( invlving the eye) at the same time.

The thing I do feel thankful to God for is that they're not as intense as they were a week ago.

Anywho, maybe if I ignore them they'll "go away?"

Back
Top Bottom