New here- 17 years old- Please read and reply! :S

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree with Dad of Twins that you shouldn't totally ignore them. Mark them down & keep track of them.

I've found though that I can deal with life much better if after I mark down that I had it I continue with life as though I haven't had a seizure. It's just easier to deal with things as though it's never happened rather than to always be thinking about it. However do be very aware that your sense of awareness & reflexes are probably lessened after a seizure to some degree.

Out of curiousity, are your spasms/jerks only on one side, or do they occur on both?

To the first two posters, you're right. I'm not ignoring them, just logging them. However, I live in a Spanish-speaking country. I only know how to describe them as accurately as possible in English. How do you say "jerks" in Spanish? When I first mentioned the word "jerk" to my mom, she said, " what does that mean?" and therefore, there was a break in me trying to properly convery her a message.

Silat, when they first arised, they were almost always bilateral, involving my shoulders.

Then, as the week(s) passed, the spasms alternate between bilateral and/or unilateral jerking.

Last edited:
Ah, I was curious, because each side of the body is controlled by the opposite side of the brain. AKA the right side of the brain controls the left side, and the left side of the breain controls the right. If they were all unilateral, your "problem area" as far as seizures goes, would be the motor cortex of the side which controls the side which was jerking.

However, it's possible that it might originate from the area in-between the motor cortexs for each side. And be spreading to each side or both sides depending on the intensity of the abnormal electrical activity... But I'm rambling in yet another post so I'll try and answer your question now...

I'm pretty sure the word you're wanting is "espasmo". Which I believe means "spasm" in Spanish. It's been a few years since I took Spanish in school, and I don't use it on a regular basis, so I'm not entirely sure on that one. :)

Espasmo would be a direct translation for "spasm," but here, "espasmo" refers to a fixed contraction of a muscle, usually in reference to knots in your back. That is why I refrains from using that term; it does not imply a sudden movemt of a limb or limbs. But whatever, I'll just say it in English hahahahaha

Maybe you can also demonstrate to them (as best as possible) what happens. Or can you have someone videotape you when it's happening?

Nakamova, I have thought of doing that and decided that I will. I will just re-enact it.

Anyway, hope all of you are doing just fine and I cannot thank you enough for the reassurance you all have provided me with.

Does it happen frequently enough that it might actually happen while you're at the doctors office? It sounds like you have them fairly often, and if that's the case you might not even need to re-enact it. It might just happen as you're discussing something else with the doctor. If that's the case, that'd actually be better, because the doctor would see exactly what you are talking about for real.

Does it happen frequently enough that it might actually happen while you're at the doctors office? It sounds like you have them fairly often, and if that's the case you might not even need to re-enact it. It might just happen as you're discussing something else with the doctor. If that's the case, that'd actually be better, because the doctor would see exactly what you are talking about for real.

It does occur frequently but some are subtle enough to not be noticed if you're not looking for it at the exact moment. With my luck, it'll never happen in front of the doctor.

Today, I've been researching and calling some doctors' offices...so, I'll probably go in to see a doctor next week should no emergency arise.

Good news here!

My mom made some calls and finally set up an appointment with a neurologist on the 20th. The doctor sees both kids and adults.

I asked this before but no one seemed to answer me.
Why would involuntary eye blinking come at the same time of subtle jerks/movements?

I've noticed that when I had a minor jerk, the eye corresponding to the side of the body of the jerk would either fully close(blink) or come close to, at the same time the jerk happened.

I'm really happy that my jerks are now not as strong as they were days ago- must be because I've been catching some of my beauty sleep.:woot:

About 1/2 an hour ago, I had a subtle bilateral jerk of my lower limbs. During that bried second of movement, both my eyes forcebly blinked once. It's like they're synchronized woth the jerk(s). Hay anyone had this before? Is this to be expected if indeed it is a myoclonic jerk/seizure?

As I was typing this, I had another slight jerk of my left shoulder during which I felt the left eye(more than the right) forcebly blink in coordination with the movement. The eye involvement developed two days ago after only a few isolated instances during the last 4 weeks.

For jerk (relating to a brief violent involuntary movement, not an annoying person, LOL) you could try using the words twitch or jolt and use the comparison of an electric shock - which is exactly what it is, although from an internal source, your over-excited brain. Hope that helps. It's almost the total opposite of a muscle that's frozen into a restriction of movement: when people say their back muscles etc are in spasm, they usually mean it's like a cramp, a sustained painful involuntary muscle contraction, which won't soften or relax despite applying heat/cold/massage whatever. I've hear that useage in english too, and it's very confusing; without denying that it can be a very painful and disabling condition, in my book it's a cramp, not a spasm! :soap:

And no, I wouldn't be surprised for muscle activity like this to be coordinated with the eyelids, it would be more surprising if they did it separately at a different time. Although not sure if it's happening exactly at the same time from the electrical discharge, or could be a very-soon-after response to the pain or the surprise of the main twitch? Like you do for a unexpected loud noise. Not sure how you could tell the difference there. :ponder:

Hope your appointmnet next week goes well and you can find out more.

I asked this before but no one seemed to answer me.
Why would involuntary eye blinking come at the same time of subtle jerks/movements?
Long answer short, they're muscles, so they're controlled by the same part of the brain. The motor cortex controls them all, so a minor abnormality here could affect multiple muscles at the same time. It's entirely possible to affect the part of the motor cortex that controls blinking, and your shoulders, at the same time.

Blinking is also an automatic response to stimuli your brain finds threatening or surprising. As the part of your brain which decides this, the frontal lobes, is not having a seizure, it's localized to the motor cortex in a myoclonic jerk, it would interpret both the misfire in the brain, and the unexpected spasm, as both a threat and a surprise, leading to the automatic response. So if it's not directly caused by the seizure, it'd be an automatic response to it that would also be instant and uncontrollable. Those instincts are actually partially stored in muscle memory, so they can be initiated before the brain even has time to judge what is happening and react.

Okay, that wasn't so short... but I hope that will help you understand what's going on. :)

For jerk (relating to a brief violent involuntary movement, not an annoying person, LOL) you could try using the words twitch or jolt and use the comparison of an electric shock - which is exactly what it is, although from an internal source, your over-excited brain. Hope that helps. It's almost the total opposite of a muscle that's frozen into a restriction of movement: when people say their back muscles etc are in spasm, they usually mean it's like a cramp, a sustained painful involuntary muscle contraction, which won't soften or relax despite applying heat/cold/massage whatever. I've hear that useage in english too, and it's very confusing; without denying that it can be a very painful and disabling condition, in my book it's a cramp, not a spasm! :soap:

And no, I wouldn't be surprised for muscle activity like this to be coordinated with the eyelids, it would be more surprising if they did it separately at a different time. Although not sure if it's happening exactly at the same time from the electrical discharge, or could be a very-soon-after response to the pain or the surprise of the main twitch? Like you do for a unexpected loud noise. Not sure how you could tell the difference there. :ponder:

Hope your appointmnet next week goes well and you can find out more.

You are very correct about the terms "cramp" and "spasm."

Thank for soothing my mind. :

And thanks for the well wishes!

Long answer short, they're muscles, so they're controlled by the same part of the brain. The motor cortex controls them all, so a minor abnormality here could affect multiple muscles at the same time. It's entirely possible to affect the part of the motor cortex that controls blinking, and your shoulders, at the same time.

Blinking is also an automatic response to stimuli your brain finds threatening or surprising. As the part of your brain which decides this, the frontal lobes, is not having a seizure, it's localized to the motor cortex in a myoclonic jerk, it would interpret both the misfire in the brain, and the unexpected spasm, as both a threat and a surprise, leading to the automatic response. So if it's not directly caused by the seizure, it'd be an automatic response to it that would also be instant and uncontrollable. Those instincts are actually partially stored in muscle memory, so they can be initiated before the brain even has time to judge what is happening and react.

Okay, that wasn't so short... but I hope that will help you understand what's going on. :)

Actually, it wasn't long at all!
It made so much sense that I feel an extreme urge to just hug you right now!:clap:

Thank you, it made thing a lot more clearer now. I really hope this is just something else rather than seizures..something temporary, you know? Like, thay'll never find anything and it'll just go away...

Question, can a myoclonic seizure range from a subtl movement of a limb to a violent jerk? Because I've been question if these types of movements that are "new" are worthy to be classified as myoclonous.

eeeehhhhh...I'm asking too much. I'm draining your guys out!

I won't mind if you just ignore this. :)

Take care!

Actually, it wasn't long at all!
It made so much sense that I feel an extreme urge to just hug you right now!:clap:

Thank you, it made thing a lot more clearer now. I really hope this is just something else rather than seizures..something temporary, you know? Like, thay'll never find anything and it'll just go away...

Question, can a myoclonic seizure range from a subtl movement of a limb to a violent jerk? Because I've been question if these types of movements that are "new" are worthy to be classified as myoclonous.

eeeehhhhh...I'm asking too much. I'm draining your guys out!

I won't mind if you just ignore this. :)

Take care!
((Hugs))

*Ahem*

It could also be a vitamin or mineral defeciency... having reduced levels of certain minerals and vitamins can cause symptoms like you're describing. If everything shows up clean, you should consider looking into that approach to controlling them. :)

A myoclonic can range from a mild movement you hardly notice, to a violent jerk that can cause you to toss something you're holding across the room. It depends on the intensity of the abnormal electrical activity. So a very mild "spark", so to speak, causes a very mild reaction. However a big one can cause a violent jerk to occur.

And you're not asking too much at all! Everyone should strive to gain more knowledge about their problems! A major part of that process is asking questions! :)

Silat, you're so knowledgeable! How could I ever thank any one of you enough?
Now I understand more clearly.

Anywho...it'll be a quiet, long 7 days 'till the appointment. ggrr hate the anticipation. I'm just praying that my symptoms just stay how they are; don't want any emergencies nor do I want them to vanish for the test and then re-appear after them.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Hi! Hope you're all having a nice day and evening!

I've been having some bouts of strange feelings throughout the day. Like "out of this world"...it's very strange- like I'm going to black out but don't have the nausea or the things you feel if you were about to faint. Don't really know how to describe it.

Is this related or not?

Note: Last night, very early A.M. I was awaken by the fog-like feeling I get before a "massive" jerk.( why does it wake me up BEFORE the jerk?) Sure enough, 2-3 seconds after it woke me up, my eyes shooting wide open, 3 of my extremities jerked quite strongly. The direction of my jerks are almost aways inwards/towards me. For example: arms/shoulders is as if I'm about to hug myself, leg is as if I'm closing them.

Throughout the day, I've noticed an increase in the intensity of the jerks with the same frequency as before. New "types" have been arising.

ugh..why does the appointment have to be a whole week away? I don't really share with my Mom what's happening daily because she doesn't really believe in them. She thinks that it's those commonplace finger spasms of seeing your muscle contract in your thighs or something.

But that doesn't really matter since I don't have to explain myself to her in detail, just to the doctor.

Any strange feelings could potentially be seizure-related and you should make a note of them to mention to your doctor. It's also possible that they could be related to fatigue if you're not sleeping well, or low blood sugar if you're not eating well.

My goodness you are so brave. Please keep posting if you need too. I'm sorry you are going through all of this. I hope you feel better getting some information. I'm glad you are writing everything down. Make sure to keep a separate list of questions for your doctor. Let us know his you're doing. :)

Back
Top Bottom