new here, neurologist question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm newly registered here. I saw a neurologist for the first time today, and I am scheduled for an mri and eeg. I have olfactory hallucinations and some mild numbness in my face. It comes and goes. I will have 3 or 4 days were the smell is just continual and then nothing for weeks. My question... Why can't I get anything out of the neurologist??? She has to have some thoughts on what is likely the cause. I realize she can't be sure, but certainly her vast experience would give her some pretty good stats. Please inform if you have any ideas from your own experience. Thanks.

Hi MmamaLlama, welcome to CWE!

I moved your post to give it its own thread, and make sure others see it and respond.

Your neurologist is probably just being conservative. While it's possible that she has a diagnosis in mind, if she's like most doctors, she would prefer having test results to confirm that diagnosis. EEG and MRI are both very standard tests when there is the possibility of epilepsy. The EEG looks for evidence of abnormal brainwaves, and the MRI looks for structural issues (lesions, vascular problems, etc.). It's also not unusual for one or both tests to come up negative. In my case there was nothing of interest on the MRI, but the EEG showed a classic pattern for epilepsy.

Your symptoms sound seizure-related or possibly migraine-related. Have you been precsribed any medication for your symptoms? Have they changed over time in terms of frequency or duration? Have you noticed if they follow any patterns, or if there are any triggers? (For instance, some folks find that there is a hormonal trigger, or that certain foods set them off.)

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you for responding. I have not taken any medication for the olfactory issue. I treat most migraines with 600mg Advil and. 50 Xanax. This combination usually works. When my pain does not respond to that I take Vicodin, and that always helps. I also have ADD, and I take Adderall, which has cured what I always thought was anxiety! Amazing how a stimulant can be so calming. I will post the results from the tests coming up. I'm not overly concerned, but certainly I want answers as soon as possible. The only thin the Neurologist was clear about was that she does not think it is migraine related.
Thank you again!

Welcome MmamaLlama,

I am new here and really have found the members here supportive and helpful. I hope you have the same experience and can find some answers to your questions.

Good luck!
Tom

There are a few antidepressants/anxiety meds that also help with seizure disorders. I've had Epil. for yrs and docs can't give me a reason why. it's called idiopathic (spell??)
I've been telling a lot of people this, but don't stress about it.
** Nakamova ** has a lot of very informative emails for newbies to the site, like me and Dad of twins.
The EEG will tell you where the seizures are in the brain or start. Some seizures stay in only certain areas of the brain like temporal Lobe. Mine spread so quickly they can't determine a point(s) of origin.

Stay positive. Find a way to laugh about it all.
Time to try sleeping again.

Thank you both. I wish the Neurologist had been more forthcoming with information. Like I said she was only specific where Migraine Aura is concerned. I had gone into the office almost certain this was related to the Migraines. Spring is the hard time of the year for whatever reason. The rest of the year I have headaches very infrequently. It was alarming when the Neurologist gave me several reasons she does not believe it's Migraine Aura. I quickly gathered my thoughts and I have been calmly doing some research since I couldn't get the likely diagnosis from her. It appears either epilepsy or some sort of tumor or lesion is most probable. I will get the tests done and then I'll post the results here. I can't imagine what people do who are not covered with health insurance. God bless them.

Back
Top Bottom