New here and suspected epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm overwhelmed by how nice you all are!!

Nakamova, it usually takes 6 weeks here for any tests, but I was having problems with the neurologists secretary not returning my calls etc. The neurologist is really lovely and I think he felt bad because things could have been done a little quicker if it wasn't for her. So at the appointment he said he'd try and squeeze me in somewhere but couldn't promise anything. I'd only made it out the hospital door when he phoned to say I could have it done on Monday, so I was pretty shocked.

Boycie, I'm glad this thread has been helpful for you. It's a long and scary road, but everyone here truly is so supportive and kind.

The neurologist said the sleep-deprived EEG combined with the regular EEG show abnormal readings in 70% of cases, so I'm just hoping if it's clean i'm in that 70%. If not, I guess I'll figure it out if and when.

Brandi you're so sweet! I'll try and think of something stressful to do, maybe I could finish my final 5,000 word essay ;)
Although the neurologist said no caffeine after 10pm! I don't know how I'll do it.

Sleep-deprived EEG in the morning. I don't know what I think about it anymore. It's 2am and I am exhausted. I usually sleep 8-9 hours a night, otherwise I struggle to function. And as a lot of you know, I live alone, so staying up all night is tough.

So I thought I'd post some tips for staying awake, in case anyone stumble across this and is looking for it:
-windows open- being cold is being awake.
-drink cold water a lot- needing to pee and feeling cold is being awake.
-don't lie down.
-every hour get up and move around. Stretch, run on the spot. Keep moving.
-if you're doing anything on a PC keep the lighting on the screen low to prevent eye strain.
-keep the lights in the room on, the brighter the better.

I was told no coffee or caffeine after 10pm, so that wasn't in the equation for me...

Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow, and whether or not I survived the night.

Oh gosh, that in itself is enough to give someone a seizure. lol I feel for ya, girl! Like you, I'm a mess without my sleep. I remember in grad school I survived on 4-5 hours of sleep because I had to, and I was working toward something good. Hopefully this will bring some closure to you and you will have the answers you have been searching for.

Those are great tips!! :)

I managed to stay up all night! The EEG went as well as it could have. I was able to fall asleep really quickly and the tech recorded for about 40mins, plus the 10-15mins awake beforehand.

I'm nervous about the results. If I haven't heard by Friday I'm assuming it's clear and will call so I can hopefully end the investigation before I leave England. Either way, thanks for all the support guys.

:agree:
Hope you get the All-Clear!

I GOT THE RESULTS :)

The sleep-deprived EEG also came back clean. The neurologist is putting it down to stress, on the basis that I have no risk factors for epilepsy, the events were unwitnessed, and this year is obviously a stressful one for me. He is ending the investigation. I don't have to declare it to the driving agency and can drive when I go home, as long as I am sensible- he recommended not driving if I am feeling stressed.

I'm so happy!
Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thanks to everyone for all of the support, I really appreciated all of advice and encouragement.

I'm happy for you!!! :)
A huge sigh of relief!! Now, go out and finish your degree and live a great life!

Please pop in every so often and say hi, ok? I'd love to hear how things are going!! :)

That's great news! Clear sailing from here on out, okay? :) Stay healthy!

Back
Top Bottom