New member advice needed..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fab4Fan

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the list, I'm Shari.

I had my first seizure in my early 40s a few years ago.

Had a horrible first couple of years ( I did not do well on Trileptal.. huge weight gain and horrible sleeping issues and lethargy) but now have a great doctor who I adore and finally found a good mix of drugs that seem to work for me, so of course my insurance company has changed at work and they won't pay for Topamax .. my co-pay would go up to over $400 a month. I cannot do it. :ponder:

I also have Asthma and take medication for that so between the two illnesses my co-pays alone would be over $6k just for medications.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate to Topamax that I can run by my doctor and see what she says... or know of a source to get a coupon/maufacturer discount on Topamax?

Thank you in advance..

Kind of distressed about this matter...

Thank you for any advice,

Shari

I'm sorry to hear about the drug changes. Never really understood how anyone can justify the costs of medications that can be so crucial. Have you tried to talk to the company who makes your medication directly? I wish I could be more help, and I hope this gets worked out soon.

There is

a discount program available from Topamax's manufacturer. Let me do some digging.......Phyllis posted that link, I think.....*scratching head*

I unfortunately cannot take the generic per my doctor I had some bad side effects ... I've contacted the manufacturer and got the assistance form ... but they said it may take awhile to review ... but at least it's a start ... and I'm trying to start the dispute process with my insurance company but that may take 8-12 weeks...

Thank you all so much .. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed...

Shari

Can you ask your neuro for a different medicine instead of Topomax? If you had bad lethargy with Trileptal, then Topomax (Dopemax) could be worse. It is one drug that does cause lethargy and spaced-out feelings. Have you tried Lamictal or Neurontin?

Hi, I am a new member and I have tried a number of drugs, Topamax being one of them. I am currently on Tryleptal but have to wait and see now if this drug will hold me. I have had seizures since I was 15 and now I am 55 years old and the seizures have started again. I believe this is due to menopause, hormone changes etc. For 2 years I have been on a nmber of drugs that have not worked for me and originally I was on Tegretol. This was the best drug for me and I was on a fairly low dose. In my opinion, they should have just increased the dosage and see if it worked. I have not worked for over 1-1/2 years and of course, no driving. I feel like a prisoner but try very hard to maintain a positive attitude. My biggest question is, has any body tried Tryleptal and did it make them feel nauseated and for how long and did it work. I also take Clobazam. Any replies would be appreciated. To you Fab4Fan, I feel your pain as my insurance company has now cut me off and after paying into it for 35 years they have decided I am fit to return to work!

To Clint
I felt the same with Topamax, that was the worst one for me and couldn't function on that drug at all

Hi Jane M.

I asked my Neur. to write a letter to my insurance comp. once for a medic. that was NOT covered. My insur. agreed to cover it, it was still expensive but I needed (like you) all the help I could get.

I am in the Appeal process because both my dr.'s agree 100% that I cannot return to work at this time. We will see where it goes. thanks!

Hi Jyearta
Thanks for the reply. I have to wait 30 days for their decision and then we will wait and decide what to do. I am lucky as I have lots of support at home where so many people don't but after you have paid into your insurance plan for over 35 years, you think they would have a little more compassion. I would love for them to see what you go through when you have a grand-mal seizure. There is nothing more that I would like to do is go back to work but at this stage of the game and starting yet another new drug it is just a waiting game. I don't see why they don't get that

Back
Top Bottom