New Miserable Member

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been reading these forums for the past few months and just joined recently due to the seizure activity I've had.

A year ago, I had a concussion (the last of about 8-9; I'm 47). I have had seizures since then, including partials ("staring spells") and what I guess are convulsive nocturnal seizures. I now know when it happened while I was asleep because of the pain in my neck.

I'm currently going through misery. I've been to the ER and admitted to hospital 2 times in the last six months. The first time, I had a 1 or 2-hr. EEG; this last time, a 24h vEEG. Of course it didn't pick up anything, including the neckpain-causing seizure I had the next night.

My psychologist is pleased that my PCP (a DO) is following up on the neurologist referral. My physiatrist said I demonstrated seizure-like activity the last time I saw him. The hospitalist who diagnosed me with psychogenic seizures last week (hospital visit #2) seems to have convinced her that my seizures are organic but are psychogenic.

Now, I don't wish E on myself, but I feel as though I'm stuck in an infinity loop right now. I've certainly read anough of other people's experiences here to know that I'm in for a rocky ride. Still, it's nice to have a place where I can vent my frustrations. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

hydrogyrum

If you had bang on head and sz since it all sounds organic why you not seeing neurologist instead of shrink

Hi hydrogyrum, welcome (officially) to CWE!

You need to get a second or third opinion, preferably from an epileptologist, not a hospitalist. An epileptologist (at a least a good one) would know that a positive EEG can help confirm an epilepsy diagnosis, but a negative one cannot rule it out.

It sounds like you are unable to get an rX for anti-seizure medication due to the hospitalist's label of "psychogenic seizures". If that's the case, then you might alternative treatment approaches such as specialized diets. I hope you can get some relief soon.

Thanks seagull for the reply. That is what I'd like, too, but getting referrals here (Michigan) seems to take forever. I'm working on it, or at least, my PCP is.

Nakamova, the hospitalist was an ESL doctor, and my hospital stay was over the holidays. That's okay, except that I'm a graduate-level educated TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) higher education instructor, and he was focused more on speaking his English phrases properly than noticing his patient's response to him. I'm working on that second or third opinion, but I think it will take time.

My psychologist says I've got medical problems going on; my PCP is relying on the hospital/hospitalist's report. Between the two of them, the psychologist is more experienced in this area.

I feel as though I'm in a holding pattern, which is fine as far as conservative medicine goes, but from the patient's perspective, it's extremely aggravating. I think just going through this process will give me mental issues!

Thanks, hydro

Welcome Hydro,
The best advice that you will receive here is to listen to yourself. If it feels right, go with it, if it doesn't, don't. YOU know what is best for YOUR body! Everyone reacts differently to meds and we are all just lab rats.
Good Luck,
M

Back
Top Bottom