New to this site

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Katesmom

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My daughter was diagnosed with Epilepsy almost 3 years. Grand Mal seizures is what she has, although that is not what they call them anymore. She had the initial seizure, then not another one for almost 2 years, and recently she has had 2 in the past 2 months. She is on Topomax. She was recently diagnosed as having extremely low Vitamin D level. Does anyone know if this can be related to increased seizure activity?
My daughter is 16 and has been such a good sport about all of this, but I am a nervous nelly!
Thanks for listening!
Kates mom

Hi Katesmom, welcome!

Your daughter's low Vitamin D level is most likely caused by the Topomax. Many of the epilepsy meds result in low calcium and low Vitamin D levels. Ironically (or annoyingly), a Vitamin D imbalance may also play a role in lowering seizure threshold, but at this point, the science isn't clear on cause-and-effect. It's definitely a good idea to ask her doctor about adding a D supplement.

I'm a total sunbunny, and my Vitamin D levels were still low the last time they were checked. So I'm currently taking 5000 IU of Vitamin D to help.

The recent seizure activity could be related to your daughter's age. Teenagers tend to have fluctuating sleep habits, metabolisms, and hormones -- all of which can lower seizure threshold. Does your daughter have any sense of what might have triggered the seizures?

Hi, Katesmom,

Welcome!

When I was on topamax my vitamin D levels fell significantly, to unhealthy levels. It stayed low on trileptal and lamictal. I'm on 50,000 IU once a week (by prescription).

Nakamova just created a post about vitamin D and seizures. It's a good read.

I know when my levels were low I felt really strange. Kind of like jittery but hard to describe. Then when D levels started getting back up to reasonable levels I felt much better.

Thank you

Thanks for your replies!
The first seizure she had after such a long absence of them, we were on a cruise, and she had not been drinking any water or not much anyway, so I am pretty sure dehydration is what triggered that one, but the second one we are not sure, possibly the same thing, but I don't know!
I hope she starts feeling better after a few doses of the Vitamin D. I feel bad for her, she was supposed to be able to get her drivers license next month! I guess that is just one less thing for me to have to worry about, a teenage driver! haha!
I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Hello katesmom,
welcome to this site. I am new too, am not a sufferer but my husband is. Hope to "meet" you online again.

Back
Top Bottom