no meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mary1

New
Reaction score
I took myself off of all medications to the dismay of my epileptologist (he insists that the only way to go is with medication and my condition will worsen) He could be right but I firmly believe in taking your health into your own hands. I presently have complex partial seizures and medication did not cure it--maybe I'd feel differently if it was worse. I've been off of all medications for about six years. Previously, I took about six different medications all with side effects I couldn't live with. I currently have a seizure every three weeks. Since I am off all medications, I take the bus, so I'm not hurting anybody but myself. Is there anyone out there who has done a similar thing and what alternative therapies work for you?

I took myself off of all medications to the dismay of my epileptologist (he insists that the only way to go is with medication and my condition will worsen) He could be right but I firmly believe in taking your health into your own hands. I presently have complex partial seizures and medication did not cure it--maybe I'd feel differently if it was worse. I've been off of all medications for about six years. Previously, I took about six different medications all with side effects I couldn't live with. I currently have a seizure every three weeks. Since I am off all medications, I take the bus, so I'm not hurting anybody but myself. Is there anyone out there who has done a similar thing and what alternative therapies work for you?

First of all, who ever said medication would CURE epilepsy? I don't recall ever hearing of a cure-all for epilepsy, especially complex partial seizures. Thus the name "complex" partial. They are one of the most difficult type to control. Plus, ALL medications do have some sort of side effects. You may not be hurting anyone else, but you could hurt yourself just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time while going into a CP seizure. Not everybody on the outside is understanding. Good luck!

As Cint said I've never heard of a cure for epilepsy so don't expect that they meds that you were taking were going to do this.

I've been on so many different meds and dosages through the years that I've lost count. I've had to change because of the side effects or just because they weren't helping with things at all. I've never heard of any alternative therapies for epilepsy either.

With the meds that I'm on now I've gone from having about 5 seizures a week (when I was first diagnosed with epilepsy) to about 5 seizures a month and the seizures aren't as bad as they were in the beginning either. I usually only have partial seizures but I will have a grand mal a few time a year.

Meds can be very frustrating but I'd be afraid to take myself off of mine.

I only have absence seizures and like you I know longer drive. I too hated the side effects of my medications and choose not to be on them. My daughter on the other hand is on medications because she recently had a tonic clonic seizure after only ever having absence. I guess if I had more serious seizures I would put up with the side effects of the meds

Back
Top Bottom