No meds - worried about school

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

missellie

New
Reaction score
My son was taken off Tegretol just over 2 weeks ago due to see effects and is now on no meds at all - just have Medazolam for emergencies.

He's back to school on Monday and I'm worried about how school will react to his seizures being uncontrolled. Has anyone else experienced this?

He's still having absence seizures regularly but they are just seconds, no major seizures since end of November. He's got a 24 hour EEG in a few weeks which I hope will show up night time seizures as the health experts don't seem to believe us.

Feel stressed enough about another major seizure happening, son's autism and now how school will react to him not being on any meds!!!!

Can you meet with the school nurse and/or teachers to discuss your son's situation? It might be handy to have a letter from your son's neuro to back you up and provide explanations and instructions to the school employees.

Hi missellie,

Make sure you let the school nurse know along with your sons teacher that he isn't on the meds now, that way they can stay more alert. When I was in school I was taken off so many meds and put on others it was a zoo but everything was fine. If the school for some reason gives you a hard time let me know because I work in public schools and by law they are not to do that! Also have your son take note if there's a lot of people using cells phones around him while at school, I found out I was cell phone sensitive and the frequency would trigger seizures for me if a lot of people were using their phones at the same time. Also take note of the weather because often a low pressure can trigger seizures for some people. I'm sure your son will be fine. I wish you and your son only the best and May God Bless the both of You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom