One seizure in 8 years???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Ok, i'm 22 currently. I'm pretty sure i had a seizure 7 or 8 years ago. It happened at 2 or 3 in the morning in a car with my friends. Now i know if it was a seizure it wasn't serious because my friend who saw it has a girlfriend who has seizures with the foam and serious shaking turned out she had a benign tumor. When i came to i felt great no headaches or any pain or foggyness. Ever since then not one seizure or any symtoms of any. I was drinking pretty heavy that night and smoked plenty of marijuana. I do have occasional headache but they go away with pain pills quickly and aren't freqnuat sorry about my spelling i'm worried here. thanks for the replys it's 5 16 and i can't sleep. Could it be a brain anyuresum?? or something else

Also wanted to add after reading threw the forums. i have woken up with a seriously sore tounge sometimes. Never connected the dots because there has been a couple times where i wake up with a sore tonuge when sleeping with my girlfriend who would definally know if i has a seizure. Thanks for the help this is making me depressed and anxious and after about a week they are both hard to get rid of at least for me.

Dear friend why are u worrying so much when u have had no problem from 8 years. May be the episode of yours was due to the marijuana and all. See, if u get up with a soar tongue that does not mean u had a seizure. Vitamin B deficiency also leads to soar tongue at times.Moreover getting after a seizure in night is not like usual mornings. U would feel really exausted if u had a seizure (well that depends on the intensity of the seizure also) Did u find your tongue bleeding? If in any case u still think u have seizures kindly consult a good doctor.

Hi brianthebestp --

There are many kinds of seizure disorders, not only the kind involving convulsions and loss of consciousness. In fact over half of epilepsy cases, don't involve the convulsive kind of seizure. You may or may not be having seizures, but the best way to find out is to talk to your doctor, and if indicated, get a referral to a neurologist. While it is unlikely that you have an aneurysm, an MRI and EEG are the kinds of tests you would need to have to rule anything in or out.

If you can write down any of the times you've woken up with a sore tongue, and any other times you may have experience unusual symptoms. This information will be helpful to the doctor, and also let you know whether there is any pattern or change to your symptoms, and any obvious trigger (like fatigue and alcohol for instance).

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you for the responses. I really think i have only had one seizure i wake up with a sore tounge about few times a year but i constantly grind my teeth that may be a cause. I recently had a aniexty attack so that is what brought this on. i think i have ruled out a maligment brain tumor. i'm pretty sure i would be vomiting and having vertigo after 8 years. I think it lasted maybe a couple mins. i remember being told my arms where in the air and going nuts. I recently became very scared of dying in my sleep because of it. It is just strange to me that no one has seen me since then have one and i really don't think i'm just having them in my sleep i was awake when that happened. Again i felt completely fine afterwards which after reading the forums seems very odd. The reason i don't know exactly is because i have a big fear of the doctor. i was born with a stomach problem and still have it now and at 22 i feel fine full of energy hardly ever get sick. Have not had a cold in 2 years.

BTW, wanted to add sorry if it offended anyone. Seems like it has affected peoples everyday life up here pretty harsh. I was reading the forum everyone seemed so nice and helpful i wanted to post it here. My biggest fear is just dying suddenly without being sick and i just wanted some feedback to ease my mind a little. Thank you hope i can be accepted here even though i've never been diagnosed

*grinning*

Brian, trust me, you haven't offended anyone here.

We all, in some way shape or form, understand how you feel. Even if your history is different than that of each individual person here (and it is totally different than mine), it doesn't really matter.

OK, as to the chewed tongue, and whether or not a sleeping partner would know. And mind you, I'm being HONEST with you, NOT trying to scare you.

I have tonic clonics (aka grand mals, the convulsive type of seizures) in my sleep. It's been 8 years since I've had one now, and trust me, I would prefer to never have one again. And EVERY time I have one, I chew right through BOTH sides of my tongue. For me, there is no way to possibly forget that, how it feels, etc.

However, my ex-husband never did wake up to any of my tonic clonics--and I did a lot of damage to myself during them. My KIDS woke up to them from other rooms, and then came to wake HIM up. There were one or two that he knew about in bed because I was asleep, and he was coming to bed or getting up, and the seizures happened at those times...

Nak was right when she said that you really need to go to a doctor. At the very least, go to your regular doctor, tell him what's going on, and ask for a referral to a neurologist. Have them run AT LEAST a 24 hour EEG, due to the fact that your episodes evidently occur at night.

Take someone with you when you talk to the neurologist, so you don't feel overwhelmed, and you will have help to remember to ask all the questions you have. Write a list of questions ahead of time.

And remember one important thing: THE DOCTORS WORK FOR YOU.. YOU PAY THEIR SALARY. If you don't feel like you're getting the attention you should, or that you're being treated well, or something's just not right, GO DOCTOR SHOPPING.

Good luck, and take care!!

Meetz
:rock:

U know dear people pray that they should die suddenly without any illness and pain, and u are worrying about it! STOP WORRYING! Live life to the fullest. Something which I can figure out here is that ur anxiety may have made u to worry and think a lot. Even I suffer from anxiety at times and worry about llil lil things. try out meditation and yoga.

Hi Brian :)

028.gif

Back
Top Bottom