Photosensitive Epilepsy due to direct sunlight

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Have you found a medication for the photosensitivity?

I am sorry to hear that your child has so many health issues. My daughter started having seizures in the sunlight when she was 8 years old. She is now 15, and she still gets absence seizures and does the same swiping motion you describe. She is on Zarontin and Topamax, but she continues to have seizures. Have you found a medication that helps your child with the photosensitivity? If so, I would like to know what works for you so maybe we can try it.

I have noticed the same thing with me when I was 6-until now 27. Keppra has taken care of this for me, the majority of the time.
My vision isn't good, I am blind but have residual vision and hearing (deaf without my hearing aids). I have a condtion called Nystagmus which uncontrolled movements of the eyes caused my a neuro condition dealing with the nerves and muscles that move the eyes. My eyes shake all day long until I go to sleep- unconsiousness.
I see the whole room, everything shaking altogether which makes still things look like they are moving and moving things look like they are still.
I also have CVI/ cortical vision impairment meaning my brain cannot process info too well with everything shaking and doesn't process visual info in general very well. The connection between my brain and my eyes don't quite work normally.
I did notice that I have a spot that I have to turn my head to get my eyes to stop shaking, when really they are still shaking but not as noticable. Its call a null point.
I do stare at light sorses especially the sun, which can cause me to stare- or have a simple partial seizure.. Mostly from going out of a darker environment into the direct sun. Often I don't notice that I do this because it not me controlling this behavior. It just happens and I notice I'm doing it when my eyes are drying out or start to hurt where I had surgeries on the muscles..
While having an EEG, they said the flashing caused a driving responce, meaning that a seizure is possible with flashing lights or what not.
I did noticed that the sun causes problems but its better with Keppra XR and Lamictal. Sometimes my roommate or twin Sis notices me "going to the land of E" lol and asks me "What was that?" My eyes do down and to the right, but still open. My head goes to the right as if tracking something visually, and half my body goes to the right too somtimes. neuro told me that my seizure are coming from the left side.
Sometimes young kids or babies will naturally want to look at the sun and wave their hands infront of their faces to create new visual experiences. My friend who has autism did this too. She was older but still, she did this as a way of seeing things differently or something else to focus on.

For your son, it might be seizure related or just something he does that's not seizure related.
The sun is full spectrum lighting and can cause many problems for people.
I wear "driveware lenses" that are specially made for my vision refractive error and other eye conditions. They are UV, polarized and transitions treated lense. cost $500 but they are awesome.
That does help with sunlight and other light problems.
I have been told about lavendar/light purple coloring on lenses or sun glasses helping with photosentive epilepsy- but it may not be for everyone.

Take care,
Crystal

Thank you

Thank you for posting...it seems this sunlight trigger is very unusual. She is currently on Topamax, Depakote and Zeurontin, but still has reactions to sunlight only - not flashing lights or any other artificial light. Tried Lamictal but not Keppra - will discuss that with her neurologist. Good luck to you.

To Dsmith34 -

Hi Dsmith34 - What type of medication is your daughter currently taking? Does she still get seizures outside when she is wearing sunglasses?
My daughter is 18 now and currently taking Topamax and Depakote. The sunlight absence seizures and movement have decreased, but I am not sure if it is the medication or that she is more mature / responsible and more diligent about wearing sunglasses when she goes outside...

Diannapop

Thanks for responding so quickly - she is not on any medication and I believe it will remain that way, acording to our neurologist - we have an appt. this Thursday. He gave us her diagnosis over the phone after reviewing the results of her amblatory EEG. Can you please read a post that I just put up on this site - it is titled "Reflexive Seizure Disorder" - I posted it today in the forom "Foyer".

I have been looking for "bad" or "poor" lighting as a trigger for seizures. We deal with this daily with my daughter. She does have head bobbing and extended eye closure with bright light, but more recently (last 12 months) a problem with the same thing when there isn't enough light (winter time is especially difficult and any night time driving). Do you know what this is from? How can we "correct" it effectively?

GBS is awful thing..yes do have photo sensitive obviously strob lighting and sun flickering when travel on train.
I had the rh injection after my first child was born O.neg A pos

Back
Top Bottom