please help husband has epilepsy and need to figure stuff out

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hello my husband has been having seizues for over 10 years and they have progressivly gotten worse over the past 15 months (around the time our son was born). before that he was seizure free for 11 months. he was on dilantin for like 8 years and he started feeling depressed and somebody told us it was the meds so we went to a new neuro(what a mistake side effects just dont show up after 8 years of taking a med) we told the doc he was still having break through seizures and that he was not into the things that he used to be (dirtbike riding working on cars etc.) we had become distant from our friends(since i have been with shawn alot of my friends dont like to come around they say he is an a** but i know it is not him but his seizure) and he was distant from our new born son and knew that he should be bonding with him and that made him more depressed.
so the doc put him on kepra (start at 1 in the am and 1 in the pm and once a wek add 1 more to am and pm and ween himself off the dilantin until he was up to 3 keppra 2Xs daily) so we did that and they did an eeg and found abnormal activity on the left side right above his ear. didnt give a diagnosis and didnt even call to tell us.
shawn started having break through sezures after stoppin his dilantin starting a couple days before thanksgiving...he had been on the keppra for a couple weeks, two weekends ago he had 4 clonic tonic seizures and we had to send him to the hospital(the doc at the hospital didnt know anything about status epilepticus) and sent him home that monday we went to his neuro and shawn had been feeling funny all weekend and was actually having absence seizures and we didnt even know it all weekend so the doc put him back on his dilantin and told him after 3 days of starting his dilantin again to drop 1 of the keppra 2Xs daily and to come back to see him. shawn was almost freaking out he was grbbing the chair and shaking and screaming and telling this doc that something was wrong and this doc rolled his eyes at shawn and told him he would be fine if he started the dilantin again....
we went home and shawn was stil not feeling right 2 days later we went to the hospital saw the same er doc he had seen the week before and she said she was not een comfortable sending him home that past friday. she sent us out to harborview medical center and we spent the night the weened shawn off the keppra and upped his dilantin level (until the meds were theraputic in his blood) and started him on pregobolin(idk how to spell it) it seems to have helped he is slowly getting back to himself agin we are laughing more and getting along better.
i was so affraid that we were gonna seperate because he was targeting me when he would get upset and in those "kepprage" moods and it was tearing us apart. we now are trying to deal with this but we are so scared we recently met a pharmasist that had a best friend that had epilepsy and died at 36. he had a similar life experiances as shawn (my hubby) and i am so scared that we are not going to spend the rest of our lives togeather and he wont beabel to watch our son grow up. im also scared that i cant deal with all of his upset episodes and how much he has changed i love him more than anything and i just want to help him get through this so he can be shawn again i feel like me talking to him and trying to help him is just making things worse....thnak you for reding if you read it all :)

Welcome, LadyFuller! :) Do your best to never allow worry to gnaw at, or bug you and Shawn so much that both of you lose concentration on your newborn son's needs. Give your husband space to meditate in his Man Cave (imaginary or the Real Deal), within reason, of course. I am happy to read you and Shawn are getting along better. Finally, I know I may catch some blow dryer (or blow torch, take your pick) heat for saying this, but I really do hope you can find a neurologist with more heart and sympathy for Shawn's type of epilepsy. Take care, LadyFuller! :)

Ladyfuller,

Being a support person for someone with Epilepsy is really hard. You have to cope with moods, seizures, doctor appointments, medications, and generally worrying about him. That's a lot to deal with. Have you thought about maybe getting some counseling for you and him both? Your epilepsy center will have someone to refer you to. It might just help the two of you gain some new tools on how to cope with things when the seizures or side effects sometimes get bad.

Harborview medical center is a regional epilepsy center, so your husband should get very good care there. Is his neuro in the epilepsy center at Harborview, or did you just go to the emergency room there?

If you are not happy with his epi (rolling his eyes - how disrespectful!), there are other options. Here is a link to look for other regional epilepsy centers near you: http://www.naec-epilepsy.org/find.htm
Or just switch doctors wherever you are now.

As for the Keppra rages, those should be better now that he's off of the stuff. Is he re-engaging with your son now?

Hang in there. Things got worse for awhile, but they are going to be better now.

oh yes we have a joke and say he is "shawn" when he is normal and "sean" when he is upset or just having one of those days. this website has helped us alot i do the research and share with him what i have found...
and actuallly just this morning i woke up and was like he was shawn again and he was like good morning and i love you and made my coffee. i noticed he does alot of ocd type of things in the morning and others on here say they do that too...b4 i would get in his way and we would fight and all and now i just stay out of his way try and do as much as i can his way(without changing myself atall :) ) and things have improved.
we are going to harborview now that was after we saw a nurologist in bremerton (the guy that rolled his eyes at us) he cause alot of pain for us over the 6 weeks shawn was on keppra and the er doc and neuros at harbor view couldnt belive he even put him on it witht his symptoms he was already having....
but things are looking brighter everyday he is getting better got an apt with a neuro at harborview next month so we will see how it goes hope it is better
thank you guys sorry for the long responce

Back
Top Bottom