ppl thinking they're better

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gymrat,

Are you saying that you are on top of the world the days you work?

yes & no.

Being bi-polar and semi depressed you go through cycles. great days 6 out of 7.

The 7th is sh!tty and then you repeat. its not the greatest, but 6 days being positive is a whole lot better then 3.5.

so its an interesting little cycle i have, but you do what you can and keep your head up.

gymrat,

It sounds like you have a positive attitude.

Last edited:
seagull,
I used to say the same thing about brain surgery. I was like, "no way am I having brain surgery". My thought was that I lived with seizures all my life and I could just continue to do so. My neurologists had been trying to persuade me to have surgery for many years before I finally decided to do it. I decided to have surgery b/c one of the things I was afraid of surgery doing to my brain seizures ended up doing to my brain. I am referring to memory problems. I was told the memory problems would probably continue getting worse as long as I kept having seizures. An MRI showed that the part of my brain where my seizures start had shrunk about 50% from having seizures all those years. The PET Scan showed that part of the brain wasn't able to do it's job right anymore. I had severe atrophy. I had laser ablation surgery which is less invasive than a traditional lobectomy. I do not regret having surgery. It was definitely worth it. Another thing is I started to think about what effects a seizure would have on me when I'm older--70s, 80s. I'm 48 now. But, I probably wouldn't have had surgery if I only had auras.
Jeez I been told my brain shrunk and got patches legions on it.my memory so bad but also told women over 40 have this(God misogyny ) apparently it natural for woman pass child bearing and we useless .I not even sure if that done here if it is be very few hospitals.I saw children at daughters school have operations but those kids so bad they be in stateus for days and it was life saving in those cases.i also saw on tv electrodes put on brain and person has more control.If offered it for my legions I don't know.I think if I in don't know zone it not right for me at this point in my life but after reading many peoples story on here I revise my thinking it seems help many people I read post also read disappointed post aswel.
I try stay away from hospitals each time I go I come back worse than ever I go on premis if don't know it won't hurt me not wise I know and that not advice I give others.As said I don't think it as common here as in States but I out of loop I don't meet that many e sufferers these days.when I went to clinic I met and saw many people also at daughters school.

seagull,

Some people have the surgery b/c they want to be able to drive or work. It's not just life threatening cases in which surgery takes place. There's a lot of people who would like to have surgery, but can't b/c they are not candidates for surgery. For example, someone who has seizures starting in several areas in their brain would not be a candidate. You have to go through a number of tests to see if you're a candidate. It's a long process. From the time I called my neurologist and said I want to have the surgery to when I actually had the surgery was 1 year.

seagull,

Some people have the surgery b/c they want to be able to drive or work. It's not just life threatening cases in which surgery takes place. There's a lot of people who would like to have surgery, but can't b/c they are not candidates for surgery. For example, someone who has seizures starting in several areas in their brain would not be a candidate. You have to go through a number of tests to see if you're a candidate. It's a long process. From the time I called my neurologist and said I want to have the surgery to when I actually had the surgery was 1 year.

I went threw surgery and i have a VNS in my chest. its not always cutting a tiny bit from your brain.

But you do need to test for it, it may make no difference to do it.......So spending all the time/money would make no sense.

gymrat,

I don't know much about the VNS. But, having part of our brain removed can have some bad side effects (temporary and permanent). It's scary going in for brain surgery. Some people's seizures actually get worse from surgery or they don't get auras anymore and still have big seizures. Memory can be damaged. Personality can change. Anxiety disorders and/or depression can get worse. Also, a brain hemorrhage or brain infection could possibly occur but is unlikely. I felt like my personality was changed for awhile. It was scary. It was freaking me out. I felt like I had severe anxiety disorder and was bipolar. I was crying a lot for no reason. Before surgery, I very rarely cried. But, apparently these are common side effects. I was freaking out b/c I didn't know how long it was going to last and whether it was permanent or temporary and if permanent whether it would be a lot less severe. This went on for about six months after the surgery. Also, things seemed surreal to me after surgery for several months.

gymrat,

I don't know much about the VNS. But, having part of our brain removed can have some bad side effects (temporary and permanent). It's scary going in for brain surgery. Some people's seizures actually get worse from surgery or they don't get auras anymore and still have big seizures. Memory can be damaged. Personality can change. Anxiety disorders and/or depression can get worse. Also, a brain hemorrhage or brain infection could possibly occur but is unlikely. I felt like my personality was changed for awhile. It was scary. It was freaking me out. I felt like I had severe anxiety disorder and was bipolar. I was crying a lot for no reason. Before surgery, I very rarely cried. But, apparently these are common side effects. I was freaking out b/c I didn't know how long it was going to last and whether it was permanent or temporary and if permanent whether it would be a lot less severe. This went on for about six months after the surgery. Also, things seemed surreal to me after surgery for several months.

I have alot of the same from being on 8 meds. But i couldnt imagine it being permanent.

gymrat,

Although I went back to pretty much feeling like my normal self, I'm different in some ways since surgery. I don't think I'll ever completely go back to my old self. Also, I feel different on different days. It's strange. Some of the change is good, though.

gymrat,

Although I went back to pretty much feeling like my normal self, I'm different in some ways since surgery. I don't think I'll ever completely go back to my old self. Also, I feel different on different days. It's strange. Some of the change is good, though.

are you glad knowing what you know would you still had surgery

seagull,

I knew the risks going into surgery b/c I did a lot of research before making my final decision. My research included asking others who had gone through surgery questions. I was encouraged by others who had surgery to do it. A lot of people said it's worth it and not as bad as we fear. Of course, I also heard about the bad outcomes. I felt it was worth the risks and had a positive attitude going into surgery. I do not regret it. I believe I made the right decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom