a real life dr. jekyll and mr. hyde

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
is it just me or will you feel ok (or sort of ok) and then have a sudden burst of intense rage build up in your mind? and there's times when if someone catches you at that moment you will just flip out on them and snap. and if so, what do you think causes it - the epilepsy or is it a side effect of the medications? and how can it be fixed? because it gets really annoying.....and i hate feeling this way

That kinda depends......what kind of medicine are you on for one?.....before I can answer this.....it could go two ways.....

Happens to me when im with people that annoy me.I have only one spesific person which i can be really nasty but to most im not and to some im extremely happy when im with them.

Im on keppra.Sure its easy to blame the med but how come im happy and controllable with most.

Keppra like alcohol might aggravate your anggriness but it doesn't mean that's all keppra or any other drug your are on.

Just hang aroud people you like and avoid those you can't stand!!

p.s=I do know when im acting like a jerk but at the same time i enojye it as wierd as it sounds which might be and outbourst after a 15 years of suffering and silence... :p

I'm on 400 mg of Topamax, 1500 mg of Keppra and 600 mg of Lamictal per day

I don't know about topamax but keppra can do that,lamictal sepused to balance out pepole since it being used for biopolar as well but when i toke it i did feel rage,and again it depends on the person.

I know i felt suicidal with lamictal for some reason,so it affected me differently than most.

Try to meditate,do stuff that you like and keep busy,also try to be in contact with people that make you feel good inside and workout all of those sure help alot especially the excercise.

I wish I had an answer because I have the same problem. One minute I'm happy as can be--even days can go by where I'm happy, then I lose my temper and scream for about 1/2 hour, intense anger. does anyone out there have an answer? I'm on generic Keppra 3000 mg a day and on several antidepressants.

Have you tried taking a B6 supplement as part of a B-vitamin complex? It helps some folks with the Keppra-caused moodiness.

I do take multivitamins and folic acid which I think is B6. Does Keppra (levetiracetm) cause the most problems with mood changes and anger outbursts? I'm afraid my marriage of 41 years is going to end if I can't get my moods under control.

Yes, I would say that of all the AEDs, Keppra seems to have the worst side effects in terms of irritability and moodiness and "Kepprage." It works great for some people, but for others it can put a real strain on relationships, as you've noticed.

I wish I had an answer because I have the same problem. One minute I'm happy as can be--even days can go by where I'm happy, then I lose my temper and scream for about 1/2 hour, intense anger. does anyone out there have an answer? I'm on generic Keppra 3000 mg a day and on several antidepressants.

I'm taking 3000 mgs. Keppra (name brand,not generic) daily along with 200 mgs.Topamax and 200 mgs. Zoloft. Talk to your dr. about the generic brand, which sometimes can cause worse side effects.

Check this out:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/interprob_aeds

Mechanisms underlying how AEDs' affect behavior

The mechanisms by which AEDs affect behavior are not well understood. They may affect behavior through actions that suppress seizures, such as increased GABA activity, (activity of the neurotransmitter GABA, the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain)inhibition of fast-conducting sodium channels, or both. Sedative AEDs often possess anxiolytic, antimanic, and hypnotic efficacy but can impair energy level and attention and depress mood (9). Agents that enhance GABA activity include barbiturates, benzodiazepines, valproate, gabapentin, tiagabine, and vigabatrin. Activating AEDs (e.g., felbamate and lamotrigine) paradoxically reduce excitatory neurotransmission. These drugs may possess antidepressant and attention-enhancing efficacy (10) but can cause anxiety, insomnia, and agitation. Some AEDs have both inhibitory and excitatory properties (e.g., topiramate, levetiracetam, and zonisamide) and tend to be more sedating than activating, but can also cause anxiety, irritability, and depression.

I'm on 400 mg of Topamax, 1500 mg of Keppra and 600 mg of Lamictal per day
It's the Keppra that makes you flip out like that.... it's some mean stuff....lol.......My doctor quickly took me off of it she had me on that and an antidepressant the two made me sick as all get out i couldnt eat for like a week and when i did i threw up(sorry) even water had the same effect....now I am strictly on Topamax 100 mg twice daily and all is good.....best of luck to you =)

I'm on Keppra and it doesn't take much to make me flip out on someone. I'm always finding myself in stores going off on people for reasons, espically little kids. Things will just start coming out of my mouth before I even realize I'm saying it.

My friend was at my house with her 3 year old daughter. Her daughter was sitting at the coffee table coloring then she started scribbling on the coffee table. I just started screaming at her and grabbed the crayons off of her. My friend kept appologizing to me and told me she'd buy me a new table. I'd realized what I'd done and calmed down and told her daughter that she shouldn't color on the tabe and gave her a coloring book. Luckily the crayon came off the table. I felt so bad with I did it.

We try to go out to places when they aren't going to be busy so there won't be that many people to get me going. Sunday mornings are a good time to go grocery shopping, if you don't go to church that is, the stores are practically empty.

I know it's hard to deal with the anger.

thanks everyone....so ive come to the conclusion that keppra is the culprit. damn you keppra. =)

i have never been on keppra and I have that light switch rage.Ive thrown things out windows and screamed and i cant stop myself from doing it.Ive been on trileptal with addon of zonergran but i was like this when i was on lamictal and lyrica.I think its the temporal lobe epilepsy in my case.i think its where the seizures originate.

Back
Top Bottom