Seizure after 4 years of control

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Briggsy

New
Reaction score
Hi, Briggsy here. I've been seizure free for 4 years on Keppra. Previous to this I had nocturnal grand mal and daytime petit mal seizures, late onset (age 30). No family history, no associated illness/injury. So things are going along just fine, then day before yesterday I had a nocturnal seizure. I know this because I bit my tongue (though this time It wasn't as bad as it had been pre medication). Is it possible that this will be a single event and not happen again, or is this a sign that I might need to have my drug dosage upped?

For the daytime seizures, I have (should say, had) really interesting auras. They were kind of like brain orgasms; extremely pleasant sensation. Almost hated giving those up. Anyone else know about these?

Welcome Briggsy

Sorry to hear about what's happened with your seizures returning. I'd hope it's just a one time deal but it might not be. Seizures are pretty strange in that they can go away for years then come back (as you've learned), they can change from partial to tonic/clonic & change in all sorts of ways. Kind of keeps you from getting bored. I would watch for things that might trigger seizures in you & be aware of them. Hopefully you can prevent another one from happening.

I do know about the pleasantness during a seizure except mine were full partial seizures, not auras. However I can also get ones where I feel emotionally upset or angry.... really no telling how I might feel until it's over. Like I said before, they do keep me from getting bored lol

Hi Briggsy --

Sometimes there's a particular trigger or combination of triggers that can cause a seizure, especially if you already have a lowered seizure threshold. An infection can lower seizure threshold, and other things like stress, fatigue, low blood sugar, etc. can play a role. Is there anything you can pinpoint that might have been a factor in the recent breakthrough seizure?

Triggers

Hey, thanks for the reply. Stress, lack of sleep ...yea? So this can happen even on medication? I had a good doctor in Pittsburgh, but I moved back to NYC and my doctor has argued with everything the Pittsburg guy said. I'm completely confused. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Briggsy

Hey, thanks for the reply. Stress, lack of sleep ...yea? So this can happen even on medication? I had a good doctor in Pittsburgh, but I moved back to NYC and my doctor has argued with everything the Pittsburg guy said. I'm completely confused. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Briggsy

I've been on medication for my whole life & I still have seizures every day or 2. They are worse without but sadly seizures don't get "cured", just "controlled" to varying degrees. That means we have to be aware of triggers & take care of ourselves.

Regarding your doctors, are any of them neurologists or epileptologists? If either of them is I'd trust the neurologist/epileptologist. If not I'd get myself one.

Got it! I definitely need to get better about the taking care of myself bit. I'll check with my current not-so-great MD to see if he can refer me to a useful physician. Regards, B

Back
Top Bottom