sick on Depakote ER

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eem

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I was on 750mg 2x a day of Depakote ER. I was very sick to my stomach and had horrible flu symptoms and overall leg pain. I was also mildly itchy. My neurologist suspected I was having an allergic reaction and took me off of it 2 days ago. Since then I have gotten worse. I am now on Tegrotol. I have not had a fever but I have had 2 new symptoms. A sore throat and lots of joint pain in my hips making it impossible to sleep unless I am in a chair. Does anyone know, or have a guess, is this still the original reaction from the Depakote? Or maybe a new reaction? Or maybe totally unrelated and I just have an illness? I have a Dr. appointment with my primary care physician today but I'd like to have some ideas to discuss with him. Thanks so much!
Erin

Some side effects like nausea and dizziness are common at the start of taking Tegretol. Abnormal joint aches and pains are known side effect of Tegretol, so that would be my first suspect for that too.

Some of your other symptoms -- sore throat, fever -- can be signs of a flu-like infection, but they can also be indicators of a serious side effect of Tegretol related to your blood. Either way, it's great that you are seeing your regular doc, and you should be in touch with your neuro as well so you know what other signs to look for.

Thank you, Nakamova. I am scheduled to have blood work in 2 weeks to see how the Tegretol is effecting me. Do you think that I must make it sooner? I really appreciate your help.

do you think could just be virus infection,tegretol made me feel awful but other people have no problems

If you get any additional unusual side effects -- easy bruising, purplish spots -- then definitely get in touch with your neuro sooner rather than later. If your side effects are "tolerable" you can probably hang in there for 2 weeks. When in doubt, call
the doc.

What did your PCP say?

Back
Top Bottom