sleep study what tech said??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pattimay

New
Reaction score
I went for a sleep study
yesterday. I felt such pressure to sleep and finally find out what has been wrong with me for over 15 years. I guess I finally fell asleep after 2 hours and had my usual "fit". Tech came running in and asked if I was okay and put some electrodes back on that pulled out. NOrmally I will go right back to sleep at home after "fit" and have another one within minutes of falling asleep again. This would go on all night. But it took awhile to fall back to sleep again after about 1/2 hour of getting electrodes right. Had I think 3 more events and tech said he has it on film. Been looking up about seizures and know that there is something about spikes in different parts of your brain that causing different types of epilepsy. He said when I had my event the whole brain spiked not just one part . Just wondering what this would mean. Just wondering if any other sleep disorder would spike anywhere. I did not have any apnea he said. Also he was very young and I'm wondering if he would be reading the results also to determine what I have. He said the next shift after him would be looking at it then it will go to my neuro. Who exactly besides my neuro interrprets results. Thank you for any info while I anxiously await for my neuro to call.

Hi pattimay! Welcome to CWE. Check out the Epilepsy 101 thread. It's got some great basic information. Also, start jotting down things like when you have your "fits" and how long they last. Are you conscious or not during them, etcc. Also write down about how many hours you sleep each night, as well as what you eat and drink , when and how much. All of this gives your doc a lot of information that he can use in trying to figure out how to best help you. Hope this helps, and again, check out the thread in my signature....

Well,

you've come to the right place to find information, make friends, and explore. Check out the Epilepsy 101 link in Skilly's signature line. It will definitely get you started.

What a bummer deal. But at least now you're getting answers. And from the sound of it, they don't sound like tonic clonic. Anyway, feel free to poke around in this wonderful house that Mr B has built for us. I'm sure you'll love it here.

Buckeye should be around soon with his yummy coffee.......

Take care, and good luck!

Meetz
:rock:

PS.......the sleep people WILL be looking at the test results, that's true. But the NEURO will be the one making the definitive diagnosis. No one else.

:hello: Patti

Welcome to CWE! I'm sure you're anxious
to know what the results and findings are from
the video EEG reports comes to being, but the
hardest part is the "waiting game". Those who've
been through it all, including myself, have to wait
for the answers - so just be patient! Don't worry
about what the Tech said or anyone else says
for that matter, only the Doctor will make the
decision and diagnostic(s) after when it's all been
reviewed and said and done for.

So feel free to roam around in CWE and since
Buckeye isn't here ... I'll pass the coffee along.

:cheers:

Hi Pattimay, welcome to the forum. :hello:

... He said when I had my event the whole brain spiked not just one part . Just wondering what this would mean. ...

My understanding is that that is typical of a generalized seizure. There isn't any focal origin point. Short answer - you are likely not a candidate for brain surgery.

I did not have any apnea he said.

That is good to know. Apnea is a pretty common problem in the epilepsy patient population.

Be sure to write down your questions so you don't forget them when you next see your neuro. Don't be afraid to ask him anything and everything. :)

Back
Top Bottom