Symptoms of absence seizure while EEG shows partial seizures of left temporal lobe

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jody3978

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this board. I am really glad there is a forum out there for people with questions or just needing support. I am a bit frustrated with the info being thrown our way and was looking for a little feeback. Thanks so much!!

We brought our 6 year old son to the pediatrician last month because we were concerned he may be having absence seizures. He has staring spells usually brought on during stressful situations or when there are high expectations of him (ie: in middle of basketball game, when the teacher expects him to work one on one and answer reading questions, etc). In addition to the staring, he also has had the occasional eye flutter and eye rolling episode. He is struggling in school, when reading he will one minute know the word and the next be confused. He refuses to speak to his teacher when she tries to do skill tests. She says he stares at the ceiling (not sure if he is having a seizure or just being stubborn). He is super clingy and cuddly. He still has wetting accidents every night (sleeps in a pull-up).

The pediatrician sent him for an EEG and we were given an appt with a neurologist. The EEG was a sleep deprived one. It showed partial seizures of the left temporal lobe. During the EEG, he did not have any of the symptoms we are seeing at home. The neurologist did a complete exam, listened to the symptoms and our concerns. The conclussion was his symptoms do not match that of partial seizures. We have not noticed any lip smacking, arm/leg movements or spasms. (nothing at night either- ruled out benign rolandic seizures). His most obvious symptom is the staring. So the next step is an MRI and a 24 hour inpatient EEG.

So my main question is can EEG confirmed partial seizures have only absence seizure symptoms (ie: No spasms / twitches / moving limbs)? Anyone have any experience with this? I have read so many stories and it seems like all of them include at least one other classic partial seizure symptom in addition to staring. Also, could these seizures be the cause of his learning troubles at school? Anyone else see staring spells brought on by stressful situations?

Thanks so much for your help.

Have you thought about a second opinion?

I'm not a doctor. That said, eye rolling or fluttering, staring, could be part of a complex partial seizure.
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/types/types/complex.cfm

My complex partial seizures usually involve doing and saying nutty stuff during them. Some of them I just stare, and my head moves slowly to the side. Some of them, I just kind of check out for awhile. Once I sat there for a minute staring and barely tapping my leg.

A second opinion might be valuable. Your new neuro may want a video EEG to help figure out what's going on.

Hi Jody,

Welcome to the forums. There are so many knowledgeable people here I'm sure they will post you some info.

I don't know much about the partials/absent seizures but i'm currently getting a 2nd opinion from another neurologist because it appears my childhood epilepsy has returned, but in a lesser form. I used to get the convulsions, jerking and grand mal seizures as a kid but these days (i'm 26) I've been feeling like i'm about to faint but then I get "stuck" in a feeling of not quite being totally conscious. My arms and legs go limp and weak and I can't move, I get huge headspins and muscle twitches, facial numbness and my tongue feels funny etc. My EEG came back clear, as did MRI etc so i'm a bit of a puzzle at the moment! I know my body and I remember what the auras felt like when I was a kid so I am certain there is something going on but I can't really tell you what. My advice would be to stick with it, but epilepsy can be very hard to diagnose and it can take a long time. Keep a diary of all your son's symptoms and "episodes" and try and find patterns or triggers. Obviously stress is a good one for your son. Can you teach him some deep breathing exercises when he feels stressed and see if that helps?

I hope you find some answers soon.

Hi Jody,
I'm new here too, I was diagnosed with Complex Partial Seizures in 2005. My EEG both the regular one & the sleep deprived one showed extreme electrical activity in both Temporal Lobes,

My seizures are mainly absences, memory loss, fidgeting with my fingers and speech problem (speech & memory being controlled by the temporal lobes) I've never experienced spasms/ twitches/ jerking limbs, so based on my own seizure history I would say yes it is possible for EEG confirmed partial seizures to be only absences.

I still find it difficult to tell whether or not I've had a seizure unless it's something totally obvious.

Hope this was helpful.

Take care
Anne

Back
Top Bottom