Theres No Place Like Home - Thank You

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zoe147

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. I have been reading and reading and reading and finally feel ike i have found "home". I am so incredibly grateful to have found this community and forum. Seriously, it is the first time I feel like there are other people who might understand this crazy illness. Ever. My neuro is ok but nothing compares to hearing what other people are going through and finally being able to say, "me, too!" It means the world to me that you guys are all here sharing your stories and wisdom. For creating a safe place to share about our struggles. Thank you for that.

I have all sorts of trouble with my noggin and have so many questions it is hard to sort them all out in my head. *surprise*

:rolleyes:

I joke to my husband that my "computer" has sprung too many sprockets. A few years ago, I started to have amnesia, disorientation (didn't know who or where I was), was bumping into things and getting lost in familiar places. I thought I perhaps had a stroke or was getting early alzheimers. The hospital did an mri and an eeg and it turns out I have complex partial seizures throughout my left hemisphere. Possibly nocturnal, too. We tried Tegretol but I developed a rash so have been on Trileptal since. After talking with the neuro, I learned I have had seizures since I was a kid. I have always had so many symptoms (losing my balance and falling episodes, burning ammonia smell, stiffening neck and limbs, lights suddenly dimming, travelling spasms, difficulty gauging distance, deja vu that can last for hours, visual distortions, awful photosensitivity, sensation of the everything sinking or rising under me, episodes of inability to speak, write or understand, etc, etc, etc, so many I can't even list them) I always thought I was just weird or had trouble and have always tried to make the best of it and compensate. I also have had decades of light triggered, vomiting, literally cannot see migraines, menieres disease, biaural hearing loss and chronic motion sickness with episodes of vertigo (arg!, you don't want that!) all of which give me rides in the ambulance, stays in the hospital or stuck in bed.

This is the first time I've ever written all of this down in one place and now it kind of makes sense that it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. I find I spend an enormous amount of energy just trying to avoid a relapse and stay healthy and act like I don't have trouble, even though I do. I'm not stupid but navigating the world can be exhausting. Is it strange that I have a hard time talking about all this with people? My husband and kids know but I pretty much don't tell anyone else ever if I can avoid it. Maybe some of you know what I mean? Right now I am trying as hard as I can to hold onto the job I have working in a handmade jewelry shop. They have me down to only a couple of hours and I don't want to lose that. Between not being able to hear, getting disoriented, dizzy and forgetting everything, sometimes maintaining can be really hard. I hate it, to tell you the truth.

I have more MRIs and eegs scheduled for this week because I have been having breakthrough seizures so wish me luck with that, eh? I don't know what the neuro thinks but I have new symptoms.

Gosh. I am incredibly grateful to finally have a place to share about what is going on with people who understand. When you have that,everything is so much easier to bear. If anyone has any insight or wisdom to share, that would mean so much to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hugs to everyone

:hugs:

Last edited:
I thought the same way before I joined CWE. I'd try to describe something that's going on to someone without epilepsy they have no clue to what I mean. When I joined this web site I can say something about what I'm dealing with and someone else will say "Me too, I know exactly what you're talking about". It's wonderful!

I have horrible memory loss. Most things that happened before I had epilepsy are completely gone. Now things start to fade away after a few months. My husband or parents will tell me big events that I've gone to and I don't remember a thing about it or even going.

After many of my seizures I get very bad headaches that last for hours. I can't do anything but lay in the dark with a bag of ice over my head and at times that doesn't do a thing.

I hope you get some luck with the MRI!

Nice to meet you!

Hi Zoe! Nice to meet you. This is a wonderful place to come share and learn. We are glad you're here. Feel free to jump right in. :D

Nice to meet you, too. Thank you so very much for the warm welcome,CathyAnn. I have been looking for other peeps but couldn't find any support groups in my area. Thank you for sharing your experience with me, valeriedl. You are right; it is wonderful! I can't believe I found this place. i have been desparate for answers and my neuro is just too busy for anything more than a 5 minute appt and setting up tests. I am so relieved to finally be amongst people who truly understand.

I'm so sorry about your memory loss and your headaches. They are both so rough. Thank you for describing what happens to you with that. It is so similar. With the memory loss, it feels different than not being able to momentarily recall, right? Its like it is somehow deleted or never happened. And from your description of your headaches, I have to wonder if in retrospect, all my years of "migraines" are likely seizure related.

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to try to explain what is happening to most "civilians". Epilepsy is when we're with a friend who says things like, "oh, I forgot that person's name" and we're like, "arg!, I forgot my own!"

:)

hugs!

Last edited:
zoe147

Welcome to C.W.E. the one place I have found as well that is like home, there are great people here who will listen to you and try to help and answer any question you have, but most of all you will find compassion and understanding. Life with epilepsy is not easy or easy accept, so sit back, look around and ask the question, your help will be very welcome as well.

Welcome, this is a great place, it is comforting to be some where you can tell that the other people understand what you are talking about and going through it is hard for people who have not dealt with seizures or people that have to care for them to relate.

hi Fed up and Jezy!

:hello:

You are right. It isn't easy. I keep wanting to "fix it" so it goes away completely but that doesn't seem to be happening. The isolation can be hard too because I like people but keeping up with the pace is sometimes very challenging. I like the forum because you can go at your own pace, (go back and fix tons of typos and things) and be with people who understand and are kind and care.

Speaking of which, I just realized that this whole thread should probably be in the "foyer" but I put it in the "kitchen"by mistake.

:oops:

I moved it for you.

Welcome to the forum. :hello:

Hi!

Thanks Bernard! And thank you for a wonderful place to learn and hang out with other E peeps.

Hey zoe147, it's great to have you here. Make yourself at home: The decaf coffee's not too bad, the cookies are kinda stale, and the company's awesome!

Cheers!
Nakamova

With the memory loss, it feels different than not being able to momentarily recall, right? Its like it is somehow deleted or never happened.

Yes that is basically what memory loss is - it's been permently deleted from your mind. You can try and try as hard as you want but it's just not up there any more. It's not like you lost the remote for the tv then find it and say to yourself "Oh right that's were I put it".

Don't think that your memory loss is going to get worse, mine actually got better (if that's the right way to describe it) with time.

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy I was having bad seizures left and right. None were tonic clonic just partial and I think my memory loss was due to the seizure. I'd be forgetting things that happened the day of the seizure. I'm having less seizures too and they aren't nearly as bad. Now it takes weeks to months before I start forgetting things. I was with my aunts this weekend and they were talking about the day we spent together in the spring. We went to the movies, out to eat, shopping and other things. I don't remember a thing about it.

And from your description of your headaches, I have to wonder if in retrospect, all my years of "migraines" are likely seizure related.

It is possible that your headaches have been seizure related but I'm not going to say that it's a for sure thing. There are many people who will have migraine headaches for no reason. This is something that you might want to talk to your neuro about and let him know it's been happening and for how long.

I keep wanting to "fix it" so it goes away completely but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Unfortunately epilepsy isn't something that you can 'fix' either. It's not like a cold that will go away after a week. You're seizures might lessen and not be as bad. There are people who might find the right meds or have surgery and their seizures could stop but they do still have epilepsy.

I'm glad that you like it here. I sure do!

Hi Nakamova!

Thank you for your reply valeriedl

You said:

It is possible that your headaches have been seizure related but I'm not going to say that it's a for sure thing. There are many people who will have migraine headaches for no reason. This is something that you might want to talk to your neuro about and let him know it's been happening and for how long.

During one of my hospital stays for the miograines the neuros diagnosed them as basilar but they never did an eeg for them, just mri. (I'm so relieved they finally did an eeg a couple years ago because that solved the riddle of my on-going episodes.) You bring up a good point. I will talk to my neuro about the migraines in context of the seizures.

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy I was having bad seizures left and right. None were tonic clonic just partial and I think my memory loss was due to the seizure. I'd be forgetting things that happened the day of the seizure.

That must be what is happening to me because I am losing track of what is going all the time. Right now, I just can't keep up at all throughout the day.

Yes that is basically what memory loss is - it's been permently deleted from your mind. You can try and try as hard as you want but it's just not up there any more. It's not like you lost the remote for the tv then find it and say to yourself "Oh right that's were I put it".

Yes, the memory loss is qualitatively different than the usual "just can't momentarily recall" (which of course still happens). It is like the slate has been wiped clean and feels very different. From what I understand, sometimes the events are not being stored as they happen in the first place. Whether it is during or after a seizure, I don't know. All of it is very confusing to me.

Don't think that your memory loss is going to get worse, mine actually got better (if that's the right way to describe it) with time.

Oh, my gosh. I so want that to be the case. I was diagnosed several years ago but it just seem to be getting worse and worse. I have to admit, the neuro might not be the best but maybe the latest eegs and mri I'm going in for will be diagnostically helpful. Maybe I just haven't been on enough medication to stop it. I don't always know when the seizures are happening but am able to surmise I must have because of collateral damage if that makes any sense.

I'm going in for another mri this afternoon so maybe that will help. (another eeg next week)

Thank you so much for your reply and to everyone for sharing your experiences and insights.

Back
Top Bottom