trileptal causing anxiety

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eem

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been on trileptal about a month to treat seizures. It has stopped them cold turkey but seems to heighten my moods. Especially when I am anxious. Things I never got anxious about before seem to really get to me now (the anxiety has only seemed to increase in the past week or so). Is this normal? Is there a chance it will get better?

Thanks,
Erin

Oddly enough, Trileptal is sometimes prescribed as an anti-anxiety drug. How long have you been at a stable dose (as opposed to in the process of ramping up)? Sometimes it can take a month or so for the body to adjust. I haven't taken Trileptal, but I had something similar happen with Lamictal, which is often prescribed as a mood-stabilizer. For the first few months, it was anything but. It controlled my seizures, but made me hyper during the day and messed with my sleep. But then after a few months that side effect went away.

Thanks for replying. I just upped my dose about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So hopefully, it will all even out. This also all just stated. 1.5 months ago I had never had a single seizure. I wonder if it's just mental.

As Nakamova said, Trileptal is also used as an anti-anxiety drug and for bi-polar as are other AED's, such as Lamictal, Topomax, Depakote, Tegretol. I took Trileptal once for moods as well as seizures, but eventually had to stop because of the low sodium level it caused for me.

The anxiety will eventually will subside.

Back
Top Bottom