trying to understand these symptoms.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nufanm

New
Reaction score
so basically i haven't been diagnosed epileptic nor have i had gone to the doctor for the symptoms but i want to hear from people with previous experiences and see if they can help me figure out what i'm going through.

as far as symptoms go, basically... i get many (and i mean many) episodes where i sort of disassociate. it starts by feeling some sort of tingle on the right side of my head/brain. then... i start to hyperventilate, my eyes start to loose focus, my hands and neck start to twitch, and i just sort of loose touch with my surroundings. i can feel and hear everything but almost as if it was from a third person perspective.

i have read a lot of info about seizures and i'm not sure if my symptoms relate to that. i don't think i've had episodes where i don't remember having them except for maybe a couple in my past.

as to why they're triggered? i'm not really sure either... i've tried to pinpoint a trigger but i've discovered that it's not just one thing... it can happen with almost anything. stress, panic, with no triggers at all, if i drink... they just happen often and in different intensities. from slightly feeling what i described above to literally being on the floor in fetal position not being able to move for a few minutes or my whole body twitches... yet the whole time i'm aware of it... which is pretty much the only thing that keeps me from thinking it's not a seizure.

i also feel like other people (unless they're extremely close to me) don't notice it... i just sort of have an episode and sail off in my head without anyone noticing and i'll come back when i hear my name or if i'm aware enough i'll do something like poke me with a pin to snap back and make the symptoms stop. the whole time tho i keep reminding myself that i'm still here even though i feel like i'm not... but sometimes it's hard to snap out of it.

anyway... that's pretty much the story... any thoughts on what this could be? seizure? anxiety attack? panic attack?

thanks.

Last edited:
just a bit of my background if it helps.

23, male, latino, drug free, drink often but not plenty... it's mostly like having a drink with a meal... err... messed up sleep schedule because of school and i heard from one of my teachers who is epileptic that lack of sleep is what triggered her seizures. no history of seizures in my family that i know of.

Hi there,

Welcome! You came to the right place for ideas and information. If I were you, I would absolutely go to a neurologist. What you describe could be seizure activity. There are so many weird symptoms, not all the jerking ones that people associate with seizures. I will tell you, I went for at least 5-6 yrs. being misdiagnosed with Panic/anxiety. It was completely wrong and I knew it. It may take a while for an accurate Diagnosis. Seizures do not always show up on eegs and you may have a normal MRI. But do not let that stop you from getting a proper diagnosis. Get answers. Best of luck to you.

P.S. lack of sleep,stress, caffeine,many other factors can increase seizure activity.
Michelle

I have panic attacks and absence seizures and I can easily distinguish between the 2, as during a panic attack I can't get my breath due to hyperventilating and everything seems like it is fading away like I am about to pass out, I have never passed out because I am able to get them under control.

The seizures I have no control over, they just happen instantly and as I go straight into an unconscious state, on the odd occassion I am still conscious and am semi aware of my surroundings but once again no control. Lack of sleep is my biggest trigger.

You really need to see your doctor to get a diagnosis.

Hello nufanm! Welcome to CWE. :) As you can see, a friendly place.

I strongly advise that you go see a neurologist. While you wait to get in to see him/her, keep a log...everything you eat, drink, and how much. Also, how much sleep you get every night, and any stress your under. Also right down any "spells" you have, when and how long they last. The feelings, etc.....All this is info your doc can use to help them make a better and more accurate diagnosis.

The spells you describe sound like they could be a type of seizure....but you need to know for certain. So go to the doc. Also, you need to know that seizure activity will not necessarily show up on an EEG or MRI.....so don't be surprised if you come back with normal results. Since you're going to the doc anway, you might want to ask for some bloodwork to rule out other possible causes such as vitamin deficiencies, hormone issues, etc.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

thanks for all the feedback. it definitely helps. yes i want to go to a neurologist but i haven't yet because it's kind of awkward with my parents. they're both doctors and usually any medical issues i have i go through them or friends of them but it's kind of awkward to talk to them about my symptoms. i don't know why, i just don't feel comfortable... but yeah i guess i'm just gonna have to step up and talk to them.

thanks everyone, i'll keep you posted once i go.

Hi nufanm, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Sounds like you definitely should get that checked out.

hi there!

my names grace, quite new to the site myself actually. i have grand mals so the full on convulsing thing happening, so my diagnosis is pretty clear but i do experience a de je vu sort of thing before hand. something you said in your first post "the whole time tho i keep reminding myself that i'm still here even though i feel like i'm not" that hit the nail on the head wen i read it, not saying it's the same thing but sounds very familiar. read my post "different perspective on de je vu" i think i wrote some stuff you can relate to. for me i get a de je vu feeling this is a warning (which i discuss in my post). but def get onto a doctor, one thats not ur parents, get the all the tests, it will make you feel better. and maybe get a doctor thats not ur folks. had an almost similar situation with my folks just had to tell them i wanted to be independant and that it was my right to have my own doctor, seeing as it was my body. but anyway if u want to discuss that further just give me a holler.

good luck :D

For the love of god see a doctor now !!!!

Your symptoms are classical of seizure activity . It's very unlikely that it's anything else , unless you also have some psychiatric issues , in which case i urge you to see adoctor even sooner. There is no shame in epilepsy. I had similar problems with you in discussing my problems. I had drop attacks when i was 13 and i ignored them . i'd be playing with my friends and i'd thud on the floor in the middle of a sport activity. then i'd be back instantly. This went on untill my mom saw me one day playing and i dropped on my face and cut my lip in half. Do you really want to wait untill that happens to you?
Many epileptics do remember having their seizures. Seizures that you have while conscious are called "simple seizures". Those where you pass out are called " complex seizures." If you blank out it's called an absence seizure. there are many triggers and they vary with the different kinds of epilepsy.If you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents' friends then tell them that. I'm sure they'll understand.The earlier you get treated the better off you'll be. Not doing something because you didn't know it was the right thing to do is ok. Not doing it when you DO know is just plain reckless. Also , I'd avoid the booze as i find it a major trigger. You won't notice it after you booze but usually if you're hung over.

:hello: Nufan!

Welcome to CWE! I can see everyone's been giving
you great advisories, and you should take heed to
them! Make yourself a home and feel free to browse
around!

panic with seizure

Every time I have a seizure I go directly to panic mode. It scares me and then I react. I think they go hand in hand. My husband always tells me to calm down, it's not reality, etc, but that's easy to say when he's not seeing the same things I am. I too have continued teaching my class and no one noticed, but I couldnt tell you to this day what I said. As for the deja vu, well, that's my controlling feeling when I have a seizure. And everything is dissociated; nothing seems real; in fact, usually it takes me a long time to look at my husband and really know who he is. Things seem very surreal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom