vns therapy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone had this done or know someone who has looking for opinions success rated risks any info will help thank you

I was unable to have surgery so my neuro suggested a VNS. I've had it for 6 years now and it's helped a good bit. I am still taking medicine though too.

I'm still having seizures but nothing like they were before I got it. I was having around 4 seizures a week before it now I have about 5 a month. The seizures aren't as bad or as long as they were before I got it.

The only problem I have, and this is with me not the VNS, is that I need to know when to use it. A lot of times I don't get auras before my seizures, so if I can't tell that a seizure is coming on then I'm not going to know to use it. When I have a seizure someone can use the magnet on me and it will bring me out of the seizure quicker.

When I do have an aura before a seizure and use it then I won't go into the seizure.

I think it works a lot like when people try taking different meds, some people have had a lot of good luck with it and others haven't.

Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try to answer them if I can.

Last edited:
Does he know what an aura feels like? To be honest with you I actually didn't know what one was until I joined this site. I was getting these feelings before some of the seizures but never put two and two together.

I really don't know if it does completely stop you from having seizures, someone else might beable to answer that. For me it has just lessened the seizures. I will still have some seizures like your dad has that might come on mid sentence. It seems that it has made the auras more profound though since before I got it so I said if I know the seizure is coming on I can usually stop it in time.

It did take awhile to get the settings right on it for me. So it's not something that you can walk out of the hospital thinking that it's going to work right away. I think it was at least 6 months, maybe longer, before it was set good for me. Even now however it may need adjusted every so often.

Back
Top Bottom