Wellbutrin Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

goldigger

New
Reaction score
This is my first post here so im a newbie, July 2009 went to my Primary Doc who is a friend also told him about stress pressure opening my third business and all the buttons being pushed and he suggested that I try a dru called Wellbutrin after consideration and pressure from wife I agreed .Started 150 mg Wellbutrin went back to Doc in a month he wanted to see how it was going, I could not tell any difference so increased dose to 300. Well I thought that I had found the wonder drug, I would get up in morning at 500 pm go all day know lunch just working like crazy weight went down 15 to 20 lbs energy like crazy, 48 year old Male, man it was unreal the energy and ability to concentrate, just felt great. Sometime around the month of Oct I went back to Doc and told him how I was losing weight , felt great but the only thing that I noticed was my arm or leg would jump sometimes like a spasm, he did not see a problem with that so just wanted to see me after first of year. Around the middle of Nov i started having hard to explain like a spike inside my head not bad but I noticed it, on Nov 22 me and friend were working and looking at piece of property and I bent down and I remember a feeling that something was going on but that is all I remember. My friend states that I started acting very strange and walked towards the road I do not remember this part at all, so he walks over to me and calls my name and I did not respond and I bent down he turned me around and I hit the ground and had a full blown Grand mal thankfully he had seen one before so he called 911 and I remember waking up in Hospital and the Doc ask me what medications I was taking, I told him Wellbutrin and Lotrell, and he said he thought I had a drug induced seizure from the Wellbutrin. It absolutely floored me. Went to my Pharmacist the next morning and told him what had happened, He said to stop Wellbutrin immedietly and go to my Doc. So as you know all the test begain and I had all of them 2 MRI 4 day EEG, whole thing 4 different Doctors and they all beleived in the end that it was from Wellbutrin. It was deffinetly a terrifing thing for me especially when it is a wait and lets see thing. It has been a long 2 1/2 years but I truly beleive my body could not handle that drug even though it made me feel great.The reason I am writing this is in case it has happened to anyone else maybe this could help, it threw me for a loop. And I read about any drug I take now and all the side effects. Like my pharacist said the reason they are prescription only is because of the side effects. I just hope this helps someone. David

Hi goldigger,

Sorry to hear you had to find out about seizures thru medication. But many meds can/do bring on other conditions. Many anti-depressants can bring on seizures for those who are already diagnosed with epilepsy and many of the drugs used for epilepsy are also used as mood stabilizers for depressive illnesses. Any time you are prescribed any medication for any condition, make sure you ask about side effects.

I was prescribed a medication for bi-polar 1 disorder in addition to my seizure meds, and it caused me to have Type 1 Diabetes as an adult. Now I have to take insulin in addition to my seizure medication. :(

Keep reading about all prescription drugs. There are side effects!

Sorry to hear about your health issue, you are so right. I was very lucky that there was no permanent damage done. I learned a lesson and I read every side effect label even on non prescription medications. They can be very dangerous.

same thing happened to my friend... wellbutrin induced grand mal with first dose

Julie, Did you ever know if it was generic xl. All the investigations i have found it seamed that was more likely the drug that caused more to happen, But never could find out why.

That is so interesting. I am on Keppra for my seizures and wellbutrin for the depression that the keppra causes me to have......sounds like a problem. I tried taking the ssri's for the depression but they did nothing so maybe there is a safer maoi...I am so sorry to hear that it was induced by the meds!

Heath

Heath, Again it is so evident that drugs react in different people in different ways. The wellbutrin made me feel great everything a 50 year old guy wanted, I just think it was to much for my body to handle. It was wide open all the time but in the end I think that is what got me my brain was saying go go go and I git to a point whereI could not keep up with my brain and that is when I seized. I hope you get it figured out. I never had to go on anything for seizures and I have heard that the problem it causes is depression.Have you gave St johns a try I have a couple friends who swear by it but like always took 4 to 6 weeks to work.St johns is like the number 1 drug prescribed for depression in Europe. I am not try to be a Doctor these are just my personel experiences and feelings. Good Luck David

Back
Top Bottom