Women only: Seizures increase during that time of month?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I read that after menopause the surges in electrical activity improve and I'm sooooo looking forward to that! :)

Well, my seizures started years ago, before kids, and continued throughout years of my children growing up. Now I've passed through peri-menopause and went thru an early menopause. My seizures have decreased somewhat, but haven't fully stopped. They certainly aren't like they once were, 3-5 CP's a day during that time. Now I may have 1 every 4-6 months.

I pray that you are right
That is one thing I can still do, despite my medicated haze
Most of the time I follow all the rules, the ones that most people don't even know about
But sometimes, I just want to scream.
Normal? Whatever that means.....

1 every 4-6 months... Nice, Cint!!! :) :)
You inspire me!

My VNS surgical consult is Wednesday....can't wait!

Thanks, Brandi. I hope your VNS consult goes well. I'll be thinking of you!

deeds,
If someone has catamenial epilepsy like I do, the seizures get worse during peri menopause. My seizures were completely controlled until this time. Dr. Herzog explained that during peri menopause a woman's hormones are really erratic like during puberty. This is the reason why I started having seizures again. I did not even have a seizure until I went through puberty and then none for 28 years. It was not until peri menopause that I started having them again. Now, during menopause some women's seizures stop but others do not. It depends on what kind of catamenial epilepsy you have. There are three types.

If someone has catamenial epilepsy like I do, the seizures get worse during peri menopause. My seizures were completely controlled until this time. Dr. Herzog explained that during peri menopause a woman's hormones are really erratic like during puberty. This is the reason why I started having seizures again. I did not even have a seizure until I went through puberty and then none for 28 years. It was not until peri menopause that I started having them again. Now, during menopause some women's seizures stop but others do not. It depends on what kind of catamenial epilepsy you have. There are three types.

I didn't find that to be true, so maybe that is why my epileptolgist and neuropsychiatrist called me a "challenging patient". The epileptologist who originally treated me now practices at Boston Univ. and she and my former shrink know and have written articles with Dr. Herzog.
My seizures started when I was 23 years old, during that time of month and always occurred during that time. They were more intense after my 2nd child was born, so I wasn't going thru peri-menopause at that time. Then I had brain surgery and it was after that surgery that my hormones went crazy. My periods got very erratic and my ob/gyn kept telling me I was too young to be going thru menopause. I was only 38 years old at the time. And the surgery only made my seizures worse, too. I finally had an endometrial ablation performed to help out with the erratic periods and was on hormones. Now I see an endocrinologist for my hormonal issues.

Here are articles about catamenial epilepsy by Dr. Herzog:
http://old.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/women/wei/hormonesmenopause.cfm#.UaKjkq7fZaQ

http://www.aesnet.org/files/dmfile/i1535-7511-13-2-71ClinicalCommetnaryFrench.pdf

Generally speaking, catamenial epilepsy is the result of high or spiking estrogen levels. Progesterone works to "balance out" estrogen in the body, so catamenial seizures can also be caused when progesterone levels are low. During perimenopause and menopause, estrogen levels start to drop -- which should be a good thing for estrogen-triggered seizures. However, progesterone levels start to drop too, and it's that imbalance which can lead some women to experience new-onset seizures or an increase in existing seizure activity during this time.

Anytime hormones are in an erratic mode, your seizure threshold will be affected. Thus, I am sure your pregnancy did affect them. I just returned from Boston and it is a wonderful city. I really liked it. Our hotel was across the street from Boston University. We enjoyed sightseeing and I would love to live there. Do you live in the Boston area?

Don't know if you're asking me or Cint -- but I do live in the Boston area (across the river in Cambridge).

I just returned from Boston also. My son graduated from BU Law School, but he is back in Denver now. I thought Boston is a lovely city, too. I loved it, but didn't get to do enough sight-seeing. I plan to visit again.

At 21days in my cycle I did polycystic ovary syndrome test, tests for thyroid, blood sugar, estrogen various others . get the results tomorrow hmmmmmm

I'm so glad there's a thread on this.

My seizures started when I was 13 - the same year my periods started
and when I was on Keppra I started having tonic-clonics but I had one a month. The same time - every month, for a year till I demanded to be taken off.
I was able to go a whole month though, seizure free and then boom!
But my neuro refused to believe any link between menstrual cycles and seizures or Keppra and seizures. Generally I think he believes I'm a lost cause but I know I have very mild epilepsy and just need a good med

I use long acting reversible implant for birth control and am one of the women who experience no periods on it and I definetely believe less periods means less seizures though I have no scientific evidence to back that up with just UPG.

Q

deeds,

Hmm . . . I just turned 45, and had my first-ever seizure a couple of weeks ago (on 7/7), the weekend after my last period ended. I wonder if, at 45, I might be coming into peri-menopause myself.

Hi :) My neurologist, who is also a woman, has diagnosed me with catamenial epilepsy. Although my seizures are not well controlled the other days of the month, they are especially active the week before and during my period as well as during ovulation.

this is interesting because my sudden spike has been this week and today I get my period! ..... now im defiantly going to try and keep a distinct track of the connections with my "time of the month" I wish I kept track prior

Well, I am nearly due again (getting those indicators on the TP, sorry if TMI), so maybe I should keep track to see if this is a possible trigger. Then again, the one I had could just have been a one-off . . . The one I did have was a day or two after my last one stopped.

I'm actually pregnant now, however before the pregnancy, I always knew when my period was coming due to the PS. No matter my medication, they could never control the partials when the period came around.

I'm actually pregnant now, however before the pregnancy, I always knew when my period was coming due to the PS. No matter my medication, they could never control the partials when the period came around.

I also had a LOT of auras when I was pregnant but then I just thought it was hormones and the drs never said anything about my "weird turns" even tho they were daily and I couldn't do anything go anywhere they were so bad now im learning other wise and that all along my life I may have had E without knowing, Monday is fast approaching for some real answers I hope.

Back
Top Bottom