Worried Momma....New to this forum!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My 4 year old son was diagnosed with generalized absence seizures in November of 2011. We started out with Zarontin and slowly upped the dose for about a 5 month span. It didn't make the seizures worse, but didn't seem to help either. Just this past month we added Lamictal. It's hard to tell because every day is different, but it seems like some days or atleast some time slots in the day, the seizures are worse...meaning more frequent. Some days I will notice only 1 every hour. But here recently, it seems like he will have 4 in a 1 minute span. He can have up to 40 or 50 in a day. His are quick. He flutters his eyelids, his eyes roll back and he is done in a matter of 5 seconds.

My brother was diagnosed with epilepsy (grand-mal) when he was 16 and has a big seizure about once a year. I also had an autistic sister who had had 3 grand-mal seizures in her life and who died from a grand-mal seizure in her sleep when she was 24.

I know that no epilepsy case is the same. All medications, types, triggers, frequencies, are SO different. So Im almost sick of asking and trying. His neurologist started out saying that she is hopeful that he will grow out of it. But if medication does not seem to help, is that still true? Also, could this evolve into other types of seizures? Do these types of seizures cause any kind of damage to his brain?

My son also has mild to moderate eczema. His is not constant, but does flare up every few months (maybe season changes cause it?) Is there any link between eczema and epilepsy?

Im just a worried momma who is trying to figure all of this out.

Hi sestapleton, welcome to CWE!

It is possible to grow out of even uncontrolled absence seizures, and they may not have any lasting effect on the brain. As you say, however, no epilepsy case is the same, so there's no way to predict what will happen for your little guy. And to the extent that the seizures interfere with focus and attention they may at least temporarily have an effect on his learning.

Have you and his doctor discussed a dietary approach? Absence seizures can respond well to the Modified Atkins Diet. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/ It's also possible that diet is playing a role in your son's eczema. The causes of eczema aren't definitively known, but it's suspected that in a small percentage of cases food sensitivities may play a role. Kids do grow out of eczema, so as with the seizures it may be a matter of being patient. For both the seizures and the eczema, keeping a diary may help identify potential triggers, dietary or otherwise.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom