2010 Olympics

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Inaara, this isn't the only sport in which the Russians wanted everything their way! When the Canada - Russia hockey challenge was on during the 1970's, the Canadian players from the NHL beat the Russians in the total # of games, but the Russians wouldn't give in b/c they changed the rules so that they would be able to say that they (Russians) won b/c they scored more goals. In spite of their politics, the Canadians (NHL players) played by their rules and still beat them!

I think also that I read that where the Russian athletes were part of the Red Army before the U.S.S.R. broke up, these athletes were expected to win or else face consequences when they returned home. As a result, this attitude has never left them. It seems as if they feel they OWN the gold medals.

Granted, the Russians are great athletes, but they're more technicians than they are artistic interpreters of the music. When Sale & Pelletier beat them in Salt Lake City, they were clearly better than the Russians. Not only that, the judges were caught trying to influence the scoring so that the Russians would win. Once caught, then it showed the ability of the skaters.

As it stands, the Canadian dance pair skaters are very close to beating the Russians in another element of the Dance routines, of which there are 2 more routines left. Still speaking of Canadians, a Canadian won the men's skeleton race down the luge track at Whistler, B.C. tonight.

Last edited:
I've no doubt you're right! I'm just honestly not educated enough/didn't pay as close attention to many of the other Olympic Sports as I did to skating over the years. But yes, in regards to Russia influencing judges, that was a blight on the sport and the Olympics that should have had the Russians stripped of any medals in pairs in Salt Lake and seen Sale & Pelletier the sole gold winners, Xue & Hongbo awarded the silver, and the next-highest non-Russian finishing pair (since I think Russians also finished 4th) the bronze.

But yeah, it's kind of sad to me that the Russians and some other countries have to deal with the expectation of getting gold or facing consequences after the games when they get home. The Olympics is a lot of pressure anyway, but adding that to the mix...these are some amazing athletes for sure!

I was up watching tv untill 3.00 AM this night because 4 Dutch speed skaters were in the 1500 m race. It was worth the effort since MARK TUITERT surpised everyone including himself winning GOLD! :wave:

Well, the Canadian figure skating dance couple put on a stellar performance, coming in 1st overall leading into the final element of the 3-part component of the competition.

I also know that the U.S. men's hockey team beat the Canadian men's team, so the rivalry continues! (I've been trying to get my PC to work so I didn't watch the game. As a result, I suspect I'll be absent for a while b/c of PC problems which I hope aren't too expensive to fix!)

Thank you Irene Wurst, for a great race on the 1500 m speed skating and getting a 3rd GOLDEN medal for Holland! :clap:

Let's wait for the west coast... we haven't seen all of the skaters yet.

I watched Mirai Nagasu last night and she did a beautiful job! Very nice skating, she should be proud!

Wasn't she lovely? What a sweet spirit.
Can't wait to see the Long Programs tomorrow.
It is quite fascinating how this has increased Rebecca's determination to work harder and battle the self doubt in her head.

bloody nose

What happened? Will she be able to compete tonight. Will she be able to concentrate?
She was very beautiful when I saw her skate, but the bloody nose?

Mirai is fine. She will have no problem concentrating. I don't know why it happened, but it could be the weather, or perhaps dry conditions where she is staying. We are not use to that kind of cold weather here in CA, and many times heating is not necessary during the winter.

Vancouver is humid no matter the time of year, so that's definitely not the cause of her nosebleeds. And today it was about 53 F, so not that cold, but maybe she's used to warmer?

EDIT: on a side note -- I wondered why they picked Van for the winter olympics. I lived there for 11 years and it snowed twice in all that time, and I remember spring breaking out in full bloom every february. Mind you, we were living at one of the lowest elevations. Maybe they have her rooming at a higher elevation?

Last edited:
She got fourth! That is quite a feat! Congratulations! I have no doubt that rebecca could be there some day.

The Canadian girl who got 3rd made me cry. She skated her heart out. Her mother passed away 2 nights ago in Vancouver and she skated for her. She promised her mother she would get a metal and she did. First Canadian figure skating metal since 1988

Great skating by the entire top 5! Congrats to Mirai. Had to stay up past midnight to watch.:clap:

Yes it was a late night. She did a great job. So proud of her.
What a rollercoaster ride for the Canadian. She handled herself with such grace. I am glad that she received a medal.

Back
Top Bottom