Any musicians in here?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sabine

New
Reaction score
Im curious to see what yall play. I play a bit of guitar. Im ok i guess i can cover a lot of songs but im not very good at improv. However i can blues improv like its nobodies business. Thats probably on account of me loving the blues and when i started out playing id listen to old school blues and try to mimic it. What about you?

Theres a few musicians here

I also play guitar & have a bookshelf full of various percussion instrumments. My favourite music is the blues as well (big fan of Buddy Guy) but I like a wide variety of musical styles. I know there's other blues lovers here too.

You should check out Spebers Auditorium on this site if you hadn't yet.

Nice to see other musicians here! LOL My twin and I have been composing and performing music since the age of 6, so we have been working on music for 20 years now LOL. We have two published CDs out now as well as many performances we have done, even on the news, radio and at college music programs. We are self taugh and have our music on youtube. We even played for the mayor of Texas. We do really well at improv in any style but since we are hard of hearing it becomes harder and we have to change EQ freq's, keyshifting, etc just so we hear it. We both have several hearing loss and i can no longer hear bass sounds- so we only hear mid-range. Anyways we have had many many awesome concerts and special events that we have performed. I was fortunate to play the White House piano that Stevie Wonder played for the President. I was also able to meet President Obama in the Oval Office and I shared a few things about my music with him.
If you care to, check out "Jumellemusic" on youtube. THese songs are totally created by us, or me, or my twin- never had formal training.
Gotta have the music!
Take care everyone, play on!

Piano, piano and more piano! Actually I also have a guitar, but I prefer keyboards. I own an acoustic piano. We also have electonic pianos in our house. Haven't hooked them up to a PC for uploading. I've been composing music on acoustic.

Great stress reliever! Different pedals than a car, but much more fun!

I was fortunate to play the White House piano that Stevie Wonder played for the President. I was also able to meet President Obama in the Oval Office and I shared a few things about my music with him.

Awesome! What was that like?

Ummm... define "play"?:noevil:

I have a few instruments, and if i'm honest, i'm not great on any of them. It took me ages to learn Kenny Roger's "The Gambler" and Van Morrisson's "Brown Eyed Girl" on my guitar. I'm fantastic on guitar hero though! :rock:
I would like to get another guitar - i got rid of my old one as my ex taught me to play on it, and it had some really bad associations with it.
I have a bodhran which i'm pretty good on though, and i can play the Irish Whistle (Thats a penny whistle lol)
Ooh i'm not too bad on keyboard i suppose. I just taught myself on that by listening to the music and trying out the notes until it sounded right.
I tried out for the french horn for the school orchestra, but couldn't get a sound out of the thing :pop:

Music - not really my forté!

Crystal - i'm going to head on over to Youtube and have a look!​

Wow Crystal - you and Danielle have an awful lot of talent! I listened to "Living" and am currently listening to "Namaste".

I do a lot of meditation and i could really do it to "Namaste"

:clap:​

Oh, how I wish I could play. I can peck on a keyboard, but that is the extent of it.

I envy those who can play.

Don't hesitate to check out Speber's Auditorium. It is great.

Clarinet and saxophone, badly. And kazoo, with gusto.

Wow Crystal - you and Danielle have an awful lot of talent! I listened to "Living" and am currently listening to "Namaste".

I do a lot of meditation and i could really do it to "Namaste"

:clap:​

That is great you enjoyed "Namaste". I wrote that using 5 tracked, own composition of course. I write music in many styles especially oriental and jazz. Danielle and I have been composing since age 6 and we are really happy that people can hear some of our work on youtube.
We do have two CDs out and one of them is for meditating. Its called "Meditications" by Jumelle. Many people use it in church, meditation sessions, praying etc- it has seven major religions' scriptures with our music behind the speaking. Anyways- great you enjoyed.. take care.

-Crystal of the band "Jumelle"

Awesome! What was that like?

We took a tour of the White House with a secret service agent and she took us around describing the rooms etc- all the things we can't see due to vision loss. My sign language interpreter showed me the piano, she knew I played and compose music for a long time.. She secret service agent told me that I could play it if I wanted to- i was scared since it was so important, one of a kind Stienway piano! After suggesting again for me to play, i walked up to it and felt of the top of it- it looked like a small, old designed harpsichord. I played one of my favorite sections to one of my jazz songs (still untitled).. she said she would be waiting for some copies of my CDs! I said, oh wow, thank you so much for letting me play it. It was of course in perfect tuning, beautiful keys, very nicely polished fine wood, and it resonated in the big room in between green, red, blue and yellow room.
It was awesome- once in a lifetime event for me and for a pianist to get a chance to play that is great!

-Take care, play on!
Crystal from the band "Jumelle"

Oh!...the joys of all the instruments mentioned!.......

I'm in heaven....or close anyways!
Guys, I LOVE it when I see people tell of their experiences on their instruments GREAT and small...good or bad...it seems to give such insight into what the wonderful world of music and sound can do for us all don't you think?
I personally don't care WHAT level of competence anyone has as long as they are ENJOYING it!...because that is at the heart of it all.
My level of mastery on any instrument falls short of 'trained' musicians past high school band when I was in the percussion section and learned bass clef just enough to pass the class. Ever see 'Drumline'?....I was that guy...played AWESOME....but totally by ear and memory.
I play EVERYTHING I can get my hands on probably out of a want to experience a new 'high' like the last 'high' I got when picking up an instrument for the first time!
I would be, if funding was there of course, the world's best music store owner!...because every instrument ever made, conceived, in-process, or from the future(via my time machine...remember, funding is not an issue) would be available to check out! And of course, jamming IN-STORE would be encouraged!
Please do check out Speber's Audtitorium and don't forget to vote on what music 'works for you'! It's all in good fun, interesting as hell!

Peace!
Jack of all instruments...Master of None...Speber
:rock:

Crystal - what a tremendous experience. Forget the politicians. You got to play in the Whitehouse on a classic. Lots of people meet the president, very few ever get to touch anything, let alone play. :clap::clap::clap:

Don't let Speber fool anyone. He is the MASTER of the bass guitar. I have heard him on his CD. Damn great!:rock::rock::rock:

Now, Speber

are you playing humble with us? Please be truthful, dude!

I can, or used to, be able to, play several instruments. And sing all four parts in the choir.

Hmmm. Let's see.

Piano, organ. All four saxes. Cello. I'm forgetting something....but nevertheless, I always had fun doing it, although I was never really "GREAT" at it. :):roflmao::banana:

Same here, jack of some instruments and master of none. I fall short of beginner. I used to like the drums when i was in a friends punk band in high school, had a real nice bass guitar i got from a friends mom who owned a music store and i got rid of. Now my friend has urged me to pick up guitar again and i'm using a washburn, picking up a lil metallica and marilyn manson and such as i go along. My friends so much more talented than he knows and he can sing metal really good, i wish he'd listen to me and take ofers that have been extended to him to sing in bands. I envy him cause being in a punk band or metal band is something i always wanted but i can never remember things or chain things together cause i forget the first part but when shown i can usually do something that day. Frets are hard and especially fast songs. Think i may try bass and drums again.:paperbag:

I play the piano. I have been playing off and on for a few years. I play some classical but mostly I like New Age Piano music cause I find it relaxing. However I havent played the piano in a month because I have been depressed about having to change my seizure medicine from Carbatrol to KeppraXR and I am still not feeling completely like myself, but I think I am feeling a little better everyday. Maybe next week I will play the piano again.

Playing the piano helps me when I'm upset or stressed out. I get upset after my seizure because I know that I was "taken away". When I am well again and ready to relax or meditate, I go into the studio and work on some music, it always makes me feel better. Its one way I communicate.
The piano gets to hear it all from me LOL, in a way- it doesn't talk back, just is there to listen to me. Some of my best work has been composed several hours after a seizure- as if my brain has been reset, ready to go.
Something else that is interesting is that I feel that after a seizure is done, I can't ever have anymore. It's an odd feeling-
Does anyone else have this?

Take care

sweet music

cool! im not as awesome as u all but i sing. im trying to learn how to play guitar upside down (im a lefty w/ a righty axe) i dont wanna just get the strings switched cuz it'll take too long to relearn the stuff i already know.. anybody elser in a similar predicament or have any suggestions OTHER than switching the strings????

The only thing I can think of is changing the strings in the reverse. You would still have to play the guitar upsidedown but the strings will be correct. You might call a guitar shop or repair place and ask someone who knows a lot about guitars. I have an electric guitar that I play leads on and i'm left handed. I just learned how to play it as a right handed player- same with all of my other instruments.

Play on!
Crystal

I believe hendrix was left handed, he just flipped the guitar upside down. I think thats where the whole reverse headstock or whatever got its popularity from.

Back
Top Bottom