Damn Dr.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stacy

Your Hostess
Reaction score
While I was in the ER, after they took out that nasty tube from my throat, the Dr. (cardiologist) was there "tending" to me. I couldn't breathe and had my hands tied to the sides of the bed. The Dr. was trying to take blood for lab work and I couldn't get his attention. I was tapping the side of the bed as hard as I could, but he wouldn't look at me. Finally, he got disgusted and left the room. This went on for about 2-3 minutes and finally, I was able to breathe. I was SO angry with that guy! I bet he wants me to pay him a boat load of money too! I'm certainly going to contest any bills he charges me.

You go girl, I've done that before, been a
long, long time ago, but I did it and WON!

:mad:

So present your case nicely, and you'll be
surprised!

The last "battle" I had was when they (a
Hospital) billed me for "male plastic urinal"
(now don't start Birdy) and since when does
a "female" use them?

<---- scratching head

But at first they insisted I did, I told them,
"Would you mind showing me how that is
possible? I'd be happy to stop by while you
give me a demonstration." Then further
checking they realized they had additional
itemized things on there that were mixed up,
with a patient that was there in the room
before I was. So about $200+ was knocked
off (that was a lot back then) the billing;
and it was strange that the patient before
me had the same last name. It took them
awhile to sort this mess out to be sent to
the Insurance Company.

(Back then they used to send the patients
an itemized statement(s) before they sent
the Insurance the billing so if anything were
to be disputed, it was done so then - but not
so today)

My experience is that when the bill arrives, call the billing department and complain. I've never done a pre-emptive phone call against poor practice. I have contested three ER bills. The first two were visits to ER's because of 'head noise' and we simply sat in ER for hours and finally left, but we were still billed. I talked to the billing dept's and complained and charges to me were dropped. I believe the insurance still paid their portion. In the third, a visit following a seizure, the ER doc would have done nothing except check & release, but I stated 'we have an endocrine system problem' and the doctor then found an enlarged pituitary and he recommended brain surgery. We paid a copay for this ER visit, but we complained and did not pay the doc his extra charges (~$500). We paid a copay for the visit to the brain surgeon who told us the pituitary is fine, but he saw the _real_ problem was not the pituitary, but was a 'cluster of nerves too deep for surgery'. We don't believe that diagnosis.

Good luck with the bill. I'm sure you and Bernard could use the bucks and the doc could use a lesson in patient care.

btw, does an ambulance ride result in a cheaper visit than if you drive in?

Stacy is a member of the local volunteer fire department. She calibrates their air monitoring equipment (she worked in industry as a Safety, Health and Environmental Manager before we started a family).

The local VFD has ties with the local EMS, so all 911/ambulance care is at no charge for VFD members.

The ER/hospital is a different story. :soap:

Because I'm a member of the Friendswood Volunteer Fire Department, I get free ambulance rides.

They STILL have Volunteer Fire Departments?
Gee! Mine ceased to exist ages ago and I miss
it and the gang!

:(

You're absolutely LUCKY, darned
LUCKY Stacy!

She got lucky when I found her. :lol:

I was channeling Tom Petty... :D

Back
Top Bottom