Easter dishes....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I was just wondering what are some of your families favorite Easter recipes....maybe include the recipe. My family for generations has always made an Easter lamb cake. I am not sure I think it may be a German thing. My Mom always made a pound cake in the lamb mold and then it was frosted and coconut is used as the lamb's wool. pink jelly beans for eyes,purple for the nose(cut in half,long way for eyes) and a spring colored ribbon around the neck. Last yr. I actually made a chocolate pound recipe and we called him the black sheep! The lamb is placed on a pretty platter with easter grass and eggs around him. The kids in the family always love it and look forward to it. I always love to try great dishes or casseroles from other people and thought'd be fun to trade. Hope everyone has a beautiful Easter!!

Michelle

Sounds pretty but unfortunately this would not be on Rebecca's nutritional plan so I work very hard to encourage her to eat foods that don't compromise her health. This isn't always easy when visiting family. Yet we talk about it prior to the event, so she can make the best choices possible. I currently follow her diet too so that she doesn't feel singled out.
I pack bread for her, and fresh lemonade so that she isn't drawn to the foods that might irritate her.
Others don't always understand, but we just don't try to call attention to the foods that are eliminated.

Hey everybody!

I was just wondering what are some of your families favorite Easter recipes....maybe include the recipe. My family for generations has always made an Easter lamb cake. I am not sure I think it may be a German thing. My Mom always made a pound cake in the lamb mold and then it was frosted and coconut is used as the lamb's wool. pink jelly beans for eyes,purple for the nose(cut in half,long way for eyes) and a spring colored ribbon around the neck. Last yr. I actually made a chocolate pound recipe and we called him the black sheep! The lamb is placed on a pretty platter with easter grass and eggs around him. The kids in the family always love it and look forward to it. I always love to try great dishes or casseroles from other people and thought'd be fun to trade. Hope everyone has a beautiful Easter!!

Michelle

MICHELLE!! That was my ALL TIME
FAVORITE ... until we learned I was
allergic to COOKED COCONUT! (I'm
not allergic to raw coconut, just the
cooked and processed one) ... SO
in LIEU of COCONUT ... we use white
miniature marshmallows instead
!

HECK - it's only once a year!

:D

I'm not sure if my mom's going to
make Chocolate, Butter, or White
Cake this year - it's always a surprise!
I hardly eat any sweets at all, so this
is actually my "BIRTHDAY" cake (my
birthday is actually April 13th - but
we ALWAYS celebrate it on Easter
Sunday ... because ... I was really born
on GOOD FRIDAY!! It's true! You can
Google it up ---> April 13, 1962, was
Good Friday, but a hideous Good Friday
as the weather was horrible in a lot of
places in the USA, even down here
when I was born, it was very cold, down
near close to the 30s! It knocked the
power out, and I know where exactly
where I was born next to and I get
teased a lot about it - and I don't
want to post about it but I've spoken
about it in person many times...)

However the cake pan itself is very
old! I have the set - lamb, chick,
and bunny, but I always end up making
the Chick cake and after it's all cooked

OK I confess ... WE ARE MARSHMALLOW
PEEPS-A-HOLICS here!

:::: blush ::::

I actually decorate the Chick after
layering it with thin butter icing so
that the Peeps would stick on to it.

I DID do the Bunny one once... and
had the Bunny Peeps on it ... but we
agree ... Marshmallow Peeps - the
Chicks Rulez!

:D

The lamb and chick cakes sound cute! We have always gone to my husband's aunt's house for Easter. Her daughter usually bakes some kind of cake. She lives with several cats who she apparently lets all over the kitchen counters because there is always cat hair in it. I tell my son not to eat the cake because he is horribly allergic to cats.

We always bring the required dressed eggs:egg: (translation for anyone not from here: deviled eggs). We used to have our own chickens - boy were those eggs good!

Hi Robin,
I do understand the diet thing. My nephew (he's 10 now) is severely anaphylactic to all dairy,eggs,nuts and a whole lot of other things. He has almost died several times when he was smaller. Hidden allergens are so scary. They have to be so careful. And beleieve it or not we only found out our daughter and my husband are allergic to nuts at ages 11 and 40. Can you believe that? They were literally like a ticking bomb the allergist said. They had not had a reaction YET...but you can just have a one life threathening one any time. I do understand how hard it can be..My sister has to pack my nephew's stuff always. Especially at school or parties where all the kids will have treats or pizza etc. and he can't have it. I have not been able to really track if I have any foods that trigger my seizures as of yet.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!!
Michelle : ))

Lynn.
O.k. that was really funny!! I had a good laugh about the cat hair!
Happy Easter!
Michelle

Ok.. have you gone to Peeps Anonymous?? I hear the have a 12 step program!! Ha!! That's funny! Our whole family loves chocolate. My hubby is truly an addict!! I always loved peeps too when I was little. Not so much any more. My 13 Yr. old daughter loves them though. I love almond joys at Easter. That is nice your Mom still makes the cakes too. It is a nice family tradition.

Michelle : )

Hmmmm.....

For my family's easter, we usually eat goat, or leg of lamb. The problem with cooking for the holidays at my house is that my hubby is allergic to sourcream, olives, bananas, avocados, mushrooms, and olive oil. My brother-in-law (6 years old) is allergic to certain nuts and eggs.

Thanks Michelle
I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well.

I can't even imagine what a anaphylactic response to a food would be like. I have also not seen this type of allergic reaction to any particular food either.
However, once I understood how bad gluten, casein, soy and corn is for the body, I realized it would have to be a way of life. Casein stays in the body for two weeks and gluten for 8-9 months. Once you have an infraction, one has to start from scratch again. It isn't as if you can say today is an exception. Healing the body doesn't work that way.

Dogtor John has put a halt to seizures in his animals by eliminating these "food" products. If the traditional meds are given to animals for testing purposes, why are we not looking at the vet world for clinical results.

Sorry to put a damper on the "fun" but the problem I have found is that the holidays just never end, and that means that the nutrition is compromised far too often. I am looking for other ways, other than food to celebrate the day.

Hi Robin,
I do understand the diet thing. My nephew (he's 10 now) is severely anaphylactic to all dairy,eggs,nuts and a whole lot of other things. He has almost died several times when he was smaller. Hidden allergens are so scary. They have to be so careful. And beleieve it or not we only found out our daughter and my husband are allergic to nuts at ages 11 and 40. Can you believe that? They were literally like a ticking bomb the allergist said. They had not had a reaction YET...but you can just have a one life threathening one any time. I do understand how hard it can be..My sister has to pack my nephew's stuff always. Especially at school or parties where all the kids will have treats or pizza etc. and he can't have it. I have not been able to really track if I have any foods that trigger my seizures as of yet.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!!
Michelle : ))

Back
Top Bottom