First tomato of the season?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LynnW

New
Reaction score
Does anyone care to have a little contest to see who gets the first ripe tomato of the season? I have a few really big green ones, but no red ones yet. Sorry all you sub-tropic people - you can't play. Only Mid-westerners and latitudes above.

No mators yet. Several cayenne and bell peppers growing good.

The race is on ....

O.K...I would certainly lose...because like Robin, I got my garden in late. Hopefully we will enjoy them a little in the season! And I still haven't put in the squashes Buck!

Michelle

Already started.. My family has 4 plants in the backyard. We have been eating them everyday cause we grow so many and dont want to waste any. It is so much better than the stores. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Already started.. My family has 4 plants in the backyard. We have been eating them everyday cause we grow so many and dont want to waste any. It is so much better than the stores. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Earlier tomatoes - another reason to live in Florida.:)

Robin, restaurants hear aren't serving them either, even though there are some types that are safe. :dontknow: I guess they just don't want to take any chances.

We don't usually see ripe tomatoes here until about the end of June, so I guess I still have a couple of weeks.

Gotta go - I must add "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to my Netflix queue. Thanks for reminding me of it, Bernard. I think my kids will get a kick out of it. They never have trusted vegetables!

We have a cherry tomato that is almost ready to pick. It is red, but needs maybe another day of sunshine. Also have a softball sized tomato that is starting to show some color.

My son's tomato plant

is in a tiny pot on the table,he brought it home from school last week.I need to get a bigger pot for it on friday. no tomatoes yet...hazards of the awful british weather we've been having!!i think i may be quite some way behind you americans!!:roflmao:

Mine were growing beautiful and tall and then the leaves began to curl.
My tomatoes have a virus....

Darn it!

Well - I so very rarely have a chance to brag .... I have ripe tomatoes and I've been gobbli ...er ... ah .... I've been eating them for well over a week now.
Maybe tomorrow I can force myself to take a photo ....

Does anyone know about tomatoes to identify the virus that is quickly killing the plants? Oh, I can identify the virus. I just can't stop it. The fruit is MAGNIFICENT (and delicious) but the plants are being killed so I don't suppose we will have the fruit as long as we should.

maybe these plants have been genetically modified and their immunity to virus is low

My tomatoes are still green ...

... but my cayenne peppers and some bell peppers are ripe. Woo Hoo!!!!

My sweet corn did nothing this year. Don't know why. Everyone else in the area has great looking sweet corn.

p.s. We actuallly tried 'fried green tomatoes' two years ago when we had an excess. They were pretty good!

An excess?? lol. I planted 36 plants - Thirty Six!! - for two people...AND two sisters waiting impaitently. I've already taken a few to one sister. I never get enough - never.

Happiness is taking a salt shaker out to the garden and crawling from plant to plant eating all you want ..... all you want ~sigh~.

I wish

I didn't have a "BROWN THUMB".......*SIGH*.....everything I plant dies, no matter how hard I try.....:ponder::paperbag: I would just LOVE to have my own fresh veggies.....

I got my veggie garden in late. But we found that the gardener the previous owner used planted a cherry tomato bush as well as a tomato plant. We've had several lovely green tomatoes. Actually, it was the first time I ever ate green tomatoes. :)

Meetz, don't feel bad. I managed to kill an aloe vera plant when I was living in the apartment. Talk about a brown thumb.

I also have a brown thumb. I have killed aloe (like skillefer), cacti, palms, and just about everything else I've tried to grow. The only thing I've been able to keep alive is ivy, but I may be torturing it; it gets really droopy and starts to turn brown before I remember to water it :oops:

Hubby, on the other hand has a nice tomato plant, despite our poor soil. So far, we've gotten 3 tomatoes off it. He's also got a thriving blackberry bramble. Unfortunately, the birds have gotten all but one berry;-)

Back
Top Bottom