I'm Freaking Out! RE: son's Eye

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
We had to go back to the ER again last night! Thats 2 nights in a row we were there! It was getting close to 10:30, when I noticed he felt warm. I took his temp and it was 100.3 :( Then I saw what looked like red lines on his forhead area. It then occured to me what the ER dr told me the night before... "Be on the look out for any signs of this infection entering the blood stream, signs would be red streaks... and a fever". Those two things were there, and I was Freaking Out! My husband called the on call nurse line, they said to take him in! My mother said she was going to stop by and see what it looked like. She got here just intime, and she took my son and I to the ER. They had to lance it open. :( OMG... My heart felt like it was breaking into a million pieces. I broke down in tears, and had to leave the room. I was so scared and feeling horriable that he had to experience this. I kept crying, and then I saw the dr come in with three nurses. My mom wanted to hold his hands, and talk him through it. I felt terriable for not being in there, but I just couldnt let him see me cry. They opened it up alittle bit and got some of the stuff out. Nasty looking stuff....

I wont go into any details.

But they said to continue to take the Clindamyacin, and they gave him Ibuphrophen for the pain, and the temp. When they checked him, his temp was 100.8

Proir to leaving, it was down to 99.8

So it went down within an hour of being there.

But Im still so concerned! I broke down in tears again today! :(

The dr said to keep putting the hot wash clothes on his area to help move this stuff to the surface so it can drain.... but today after we got more stuff out, the swelling went more to his right eye area. I freaked out, started crying.

I called my husband... he was at work. I broke down and said I think its getting worse! I sent him a picture through his work email and he said to give his dad a call. So I called and spoke with my father in law and told him what was going on.

Now he thinks I should continue with the warm wash clothes and when I keep doing that, it will help the stuff to surface, which will help to get all of that out. But my concern is that when I got more stuff out this morning, the swelling came about in his right eye area. Is that normal? Is that suppose to be happening?

I havnt touched it since. He's taken his antibiotic at 5am, and again at 1pm.... (He has to take it 3 times a day) so Im going to give it again at 7/8pm tonight. Im just so badly wanting this to go away. I cant sleep, I cant eat... I just keep praying it gets better and the swelling goes away.

Im a complete mess. I just dont know what to do...

***hugs*** mama

That is very scary. I don't know if I could have been in that room either. Try to not let yourself feel bad for that.

I have no idea about what it means if the swelling moves over. Maybe call the nurse again if you think he's getting worse.

Yeah my husband should be here within the next 10-15 minutes. Im going to have him take a look at it and see what he thinks. When I had this, and was put on the same medication, my dr said to double up the dose the first 24 hours, to get a good catch on the infection. I know its different with children vs. adults. I just pray to god this medication works. He's taken his 4 dose so far. I keep looking at him, and want to burst out in tears... I try hard to keep it in, or else leave the room to calm myself down. Im going to see what my husband says and give the nurse a call to see if the swelling after draining it is normal.

is there any red line going from this abccess to his eye or any other direction.if so then go back to hospital,in meantime the hot compress the best thing you can do

Hang in there. I hope the poor guy gets some relief soon, and you too.

That's horrible that this had to happen. Little guy has already been through enough as is. I hope they can get this take care of asap. Remember, the human body is an amazing machine, the immune system is super powerful.. Best wishes to you and your son.

you may be able do something called hot spoon bathing google it.otherwise time is the healer,the gunk needs come out so you doing all you can

A nurse from the hospital called to check in and see how he was doing. I told her about the stuff that came out this morning, but then my concerns was:

1) his right eye then became swollen after the stuff came out

2) he still has the red area which Id say is about an inch long from the top of the lanced area, which goes towards his forhead area

She said when I was directing the stuff from the forhead to the lanced area, it could have caused some of that to go to the right, over to his eye area, which irritated it. So in the meantime to use alot of warm compresses, and if its going to drain, that will allow the stuff to surface and drain on its own.

About the red area, she said its probably where its tender and from the swelling over the days. She said to check for a temperature and if he starts acting different, like not acting himself, or being too lazy, tired, quiet, etc.

She said to continue with the clindamyacin, and techniqually since we switched medications yesterday, its like starting all over again. So she said to at least give 48 hours from friday at 3pm when we first started the medication to see any improvements.

In the meantime, Ive been giving him the warm compresses, and it looks like some is surfacing... which if I gently move the wash cloth over the swollen area, some stuff will come out. But she said dont sqeeze anything near the area. It just has to slowly come out on its own. So in the meantime, Ive been doing lots of praying and hoping that this will soon be over!

you may be able do something called hot spoon bathing google it.otherwise time is the healer,the gunk needs come out so you doing all you can

I'll have to google it! Thanks!

How frightning this is, any mom's nightmare. I do hope he will do better soon. You both are in my thoughts.

OK... after alot of praying over the past few days, I think his eye is getting to look alittle better now! between the ibuprofen and the antibiotics, I saw a difference in the amount of swelling he had this morning! Im going to have to see how it goes today. As for school tomorrow, I will see how he is doing in the morning.

that nurse said all the right things i nurse myself and on what you said and pic of son that be my advice aswell.
similar situation with my dauaghter she 27 she had malone procedure done years ago and in last 6 months it started breaking down puss everywhere(sorry)just back from emergancy dr she on anti biotics and i debating about her going back to residential home tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom