My own music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

renee97

New
Reaction score
After what seemed an eternity, I have finally been able to get back to composing. I had better get back to this as I have promised to compose a set of six to nine songs on poems by a local poet. I also wrote a grant to help fund this project, and I should hear whether it is funded within the next week to 10 days.
One of the poems just really, really grabbed me. It is about working (only) part-time. Working on this for maybe four hours max, I had a page of music written. Had to make one or two corrections (certain words or parts of words should not be on a strong beat), but I really like what I composed. It is possible I could have the entire poem set by Christmas. Assuming no medical stuff gets in my way, of course.
renee

Last edited:
That's great Lisa!....

I'm glad to hear you're back to composing!
Good luck with that!
:rock:

I never thought about this until very recently, but if I do not give it a title, or at least not a title that would link it directly to epilepsy, I might compose a work for full orchestra which would musically "paint" the very beginnings of a seizure (tonic-clonic), the seizure itself and some of what happens afterward. Might not be very "ear-appealing," but the experience is anything but appealing to us anyway. Comments?

I think that is an incredible idea...

You are an artist attempting to express something using your chosen medium....go for it!
:rock:

PS. I personally would love for others to get a partial 'sense' for the experience...even if it has to be 'odd to the ear' for a change.

Hmmm... I'm imagining something like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture...

Before anyone, um, tries to imagine? 1) Keep in mind (pun intended) that my knowledge of the entire classical music repertoire is quite extensive, 2) I finally have resources (both individual people / musicians / composers to consult with and computer software) that will enable me to do things a little different.
In other words, I do not want this to sound like any thing previously composed. My best works so far (and the ones that I plan / expect to compose!) involve my writing down with words what the structure of the music will be and then just writing the notes.
Having said that, I am smiling and laughing, my current project is writing songs. In this case the music has to fit the words. Period!
renee97

since last posting, MY last posting, I have started writing notes. I have no idea if I will ever be able to hear this work except on my computer, but even that is pretty cool. even though I am partial to wind instruments, I will admit that string instruments are a little more flexible. Of course I am partial, I like this a lot.

Dig da cello....that's my desert island instrument I believe.

I think I have opened the door to a monster. A very big monster.
I have been reluctant to ask friends who are composers "how" they compose. Meaning things like when do you start, how much time per day / week, etc. I have also read about composers from history and some of their habits.
one of my closer friends is a young woman in her mid 40's. she told me in an email that she can , and does, spend up to 10 to 12 hours a day composing.
when I read that I gulped!
another composer who recently told me that he has ceased all composing activity because it had become too stressful told me a similar story; that once he had an idea for a composition he could spend ten straight hours on writing it all down.
I am beginning to consider the possibility that I have opened that door -- myself!

Just thinking about NEEDING to spend that much time to get that music on paper, to express those feelings into music for that much time is something ------weird! I have always tried to structure my time: structure meaning not allowing any one thing to dominate. I don't know where this is going, but I do know that this composition I started for full orchestra - back in the beginning of this month - is beginning to look like it is going to "write itself" and I had better step back and let it happen!!!! It may be complete by January 2nd!
R 97

I used to be that way about writing computer code (programming).

B:
I think the human brain is actually "hard-wired" to acquiring an addicition. Doesn't matter what it is; alcohol, drugs, electronics, composing, photography, whatever. Our poor under-developed (improperly fed?) brains seek something to depend on. I even vaguely recall hearing that this is true. Hmmm?
R 97

Speber- that is cool that you like the cello. That is my second favorite instrument to compose for. Piano is what I started playing 20 years ago. I started composing music at 6 and have not stoped ever. I think its great for others to be able to compose music. I find that after a seizure, after resting, I compose the best music. I was in the studio one time playing and had a seizure, but i kept playing without knowing it. It sounds quite strange to play and it be recorded while a seizure happens (Complex partial). Kinda odd but interesting at the same time.
The cello has been the easist for me to hear in reguards to my hearing loss. The piano never goes out of tune (Electronic/synths) so I don't have to worry about that hehe. The cello has such a warm strong rich mid-tone that goes well with the piano.
I miss performing so much. I definitly think its one heck of a stress reliever. I go into the studio, sit down and just play until a song comes. Usually I write music everyday and it gives me a project to always work on.

Keep up the good work and composing everyone!

Crystal

Back
Top Bottom