My sister's cancer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all CWE friends,

Tomorrow morning my younger sister is having a radical double mastectomy. She had a lumpectomy ten years ago and had the chemo + radiation and was taking the Tamoxifen for 5 years, so they thought she was done. She just happened to go in for a check-up after 10 years and the dr. discovered another lump. After doing the biopsy, unfortunately, it is cancer again. So she is going the bold route and doing a double this time because the cancer was in the lymph nodes. And then she will have reconstructive surgery, too. She said that once she is out of the hospital she may need me to stay with her to change her dressings, in case her husband can't handle it. Let's Hope it doesn't make me go weird.

Thanks.

Cint

Sorry to hear about your sister and I am sure everything will work out. There will be no problem you handling any of this you are strong enough. I will be thinking of you.

Oh my goodness Cint, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I'll be thinking about her tomorrow and you and your family as well. Please keep us up to date on how she's doing.

***hugs***

Cint,
Sorry to hear about your sister, I will be thinking of you & your family.

I hope everything goes good. She's your sister so you should be able to handle everything she needs. My husband had colon cancer a few years ago and I had to do a lot for him when he came home from the hospital because he couldn't. It was hard but I managed it.

In a way we were both taking care of each other. Me having epilepsy and him with everything that he needed.

My husband's friends wife didn't have cancer but the type of cancer that goes all through your female parts, like your ovaries, breasts, uterus and everything else that only a woman has runs very bad in her family and the drs said she probably certain that she would get it. It has a name but I don't know what it's called. She got everything removed just to be on the safe side.

Not to make a joke of it but her husband was pretty excited because she told him he could pick out her new boobs - lol.

Please let me know how things go.

Hope everything goes well Cint.

How's she doing Cindy? I've been thinking about y'all today. **hugs**

How's she doing Cindy? I've been thinking about y'all today. **hugs**

Thanks, CathyAnn,

The surgery went well. The reconstructive surgery actually took longer than the actual mastectomy. Both surgeons were optimistic about the surgery, they got it all this time. It was a 4 1/2 hr surgery and she was pretty emotional upon going in. But everything went according to plan and if she wants, she may get to come home today, but she told me last night that she wants to stay one more day. She is going to be really sore and then she has some drainage tubes to take care of. Plus a ten year old son who will be full of questions.

I will up there again to today to help them out. After all, she is my sister and she's been there for my brain surgeries and stuff.

She's very lucky to have you as a sister. :). I'm glad for the update, keep them coming.

Cint. Glad the surgery went well. Caring/loving sisters...wonderful Take care.

Mary

Cint,
Sorry to hear of your sister's surgery. You being there for her is probably helping her so much. I wish you both the best.

Jackie

Cint, I'm sorry about your sister's cancer. I'm glad she has you to support her and be with her as that must be a great comfort for her. Wishing you both the best in the days and weeks ahead.

Well....... there has been a setback. She was back in the hospital yesterday because an infection had set in on the right side. So they had to take the expander out and wash out the infected area with antibiotics and give her antibiotics via IV. The oncologist was more concerned about her left side because 10 years ago, she had cancer on that side and the lymph nodes were removed. He was rather surprised that this side was infected. Now she will have to wait six months before she can have the replacement surgery, giving her time to heal. This wasn't supposed to happen, but then neither was cancer.

So sorry for all of this, Cindy. You and your sister are in my prayers

Yikes! I'm keeping you and your sister in my thoughts and sending positive vibes your way. Hope she's feeling a little better today than she was yesterday. She's very, very lucky to have a sister like you. Just as you're lucky to have a sister like her. Keeping you guys in my thoughts!

Cint- Thinking of you & your sister :hugs:

Very sorry to hear this Cint (I haven't been around for a while). I hope everything works out OK x

Back
Top Bottom