New York Times

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fedup

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I was shocked and aghast at the New York times actually I was angry and insulted as well. I am just wondering how many others agree with what was wrote.

I just cannot understand the belief about myself, the innocent people involved and my country.

Ruth

To think that this is part of what is thought of Irish people. Part of the comments made was

"the work-visa program that allowed for the exchanges has in recent years become not just a source of aspiration, but also a source of embarrassment for Ireland"

A source of EMBARRASSMENT what a nerve.

In general, media in the USA is awful. Lot's of political editorializing in non-political stories. The news isn't news until it's been given the correct spin to score some points. There is a reason that newspapers are dying.

Bernard

I just hope people do not have that opinion of Irish people. I understand about news and news papers but to write something that insults not just me but the people involved in such a horrible accident is even worse.

Is this the article? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/us/balcony-collapse-berkeley-dead.html?_r=0

I see there's a lot of "protestant bias" in the story. Blame may come to the whole paper (BBC reported on it this morning), but the editor should take the mea culpa. It's ridiculous to think this got published. Three people wrote the original story and none of them stopped to think...."Maybe we're being racist and insensitive a-holes?"

It collapsed because too many people were on the balcony?

Sounds like what happened in Korea with the grates collapse during the concert

Last edited:
After college, I used to live with exchange students from several different countries. Partying like this has everything to do with age and not having the ability to properly calculate risk (which is true from adolescence to age 26) and nothing to do with being Irish.

After college, I used to live with exchange students from several different countries. Partying like this has everything to do with age and not having the ability to properly calculate risk (which is true from adolescence to age 26) and nothing to do with being Irish.

Likely drunk out of their minds to think imo

George__

Nobody is saying exactly why the balcony collapsed but it had nothing to do with partying or being drunk. So far it seems to be dry rot as an explanation.

Partying like this has nothing to do with calculating risk, even a pioneer (somebody who does not drink) could not calculate the risk without the correct information. To calculate risk you first need to know there is a risk. Sorry that is my opinion.

In the news in CA, it does not say anything about them partying or being drunk. It has been hot in CA, even in Berkeley, which is unusual for it to be hot. I think that they were on the balcony to cool off from the heat in the apartment.

Cities by the coast don't have air conditioners. It has also been on the news that there was wood rot and that is likely the cause of the collapse.

Everyone is welcome from every nation in CA. I have lived in CA all of my life, a good part in the Bay Area so I know what I am talking about.

The NYT is not in CA, they are in NY.

Ruth

Thank you Ruth that is more than appreciated and means a lot.

Sorry if I misunderstood the story. Only meant that tragic accidents in young adults happen regardless of nationality.

Fedup,

Thank you, all Californian's know what a horrible tragedy it was. Berkeley is on the Coast where the fog is and that causes dry rot. This year there hasn't been much fog and we are in a hot spell now. Our drought is ongoing and is causing a lot of problems. The apartments should have been checked. The investigation into the actual cause is still ongoing.

Ruth

Yes I see the investigation is still going on, a tragic accident no matter the cause but my problem was with thinking that people had an opinion of Ireland like that "a source of embarrassment for Ireland" I am very proud of being Irish and thank you Ruth.

As you said, Fedup, it is insulting and who-the-hell-do-they-think-they-are, and tacky in every sense of the word but I have to admit that I might not have even noticed since so much that is written rolls right over me. So I appreciate your outrage in more ways than one.

In the news in CA, it does not say anything about them partying or being drunk. It has been hot in CA, even in Berkeley, which is unusual for it to be hot. I think that they were on the balcony to cool off from the heat in the apartment.

Cities by the coast don't have air conditioners. It has also been on the news that there was wood rot and that is likely the cause of the collapse.

Everyone is welcome from every nation in CA. I have lived in CA all of my life, a good part in the Bay Area so I know what I am talking about.

The NYT is not in CA, they are in NY.
As an until recently Californian, I would like to second this. That kind of small minded nonsense would not be written in a California paper.

Back
Top Bottom