NORAD names our Santa pilots!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I love living in the Rockies of Colorado. NORAD is based in Cheyenne Mountain near Colorado Springs. A very good friend of mine used to be in the US Air Force and was at NORAD for quite a few years.

More about how this Santa thing with NORAD got started:
http://www.norad.mil/AboutNORAD/NORADTracksSanta.aspx
NORAD Tracks Santa

On Dec. 24, 1955, a call was made to the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) Operations Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. However, this call was not from the president or a general. It was from a girl in Colorado Springs who was following the directions in an advertisement printed in the local paper – she wanted to know the whereabouts of Santa Claus.

The ad said “Hey, Kiddies! Call me direct and be sure and dial the correct number.” However, the number was printed incorrectly in the advertisement and rang into the CONAD operations center.

On duty that night was Colonel Harry Shoup, who has come to be known as the “Santa Colonel.”
Colonel Shoup received numerous calls that night and rather than hanging up, he had his operators find the location of Santa Claus and reported it to every child who phoned in that night.

Thus began a tradition carried on by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) when it was formed in 1958. Today, through satellite systems, high-powered radars and jet fighters, NORAD tracks Santa Claus as he makes his Yuletide journey around the world.

Every Christmas Eve, thousands of volunteers staff telephones and computers to answer calls and e-mails from children (and adults) from around the world. Live updates are provided through the NORAD Tracks Santa Web site (in seven languages), over telephone lines, and by e-mail to keep curious children and their families informed about Santa’s whereabouts and if it’s time to get to bed.

Each year, the NORAD Tracks Santa Web Site receives nearly nine million unique visitors from more than 200 countries and territories around the world. Volunteers receive more than 12,000 e-mails and more than 70,000 calls to the NORAD Tracks Santa hotline from children around the globe.

ahhhhh to be a kid again.
lol maybe we'll pour a glass of wine and track him on christmas eve.... would be fun while celebrating! (eve has always been the biggest time of the season in my family).
such a thing for norad to follow, so original and so cool. amazing sometimes what a typo can do... :)

qtowngirl

This I love thank you qtowngirl. I love Christmas I think its my favorite time of the year, I hope you have all your shopping done. You have to be in bed early for Santa :roflmao: still think I am a child.

:roflmao: all my shopping done!!! haha good one.
i've ordered my parents a great gift (billie joe and norah CD, so awesome they'll love it), but nothing other than that. don't know what to buy and don't have a ton of money this year (aka being off for brain surg) so i'm not overly worried about it.
lol no one expects anything really but me being happy for my first xmas seizure-free and they've got that right.

:ponder: now that i think of that maybe i'll turn it around and announce to the room.......... 'merry christmas to all of you and i'm giving us all 142 days of my seizure freedom.' may sound a bit egotistical but we're not like that, they'd probably sit and cry and hug and genuinely appreciate the idea.

Is this actually true?

If it is do you know the number to call? I'd love to give them a call and see where Santa is and how soon he'll be at my place.

I'm 37 and still haven't let my parents know that I know there's no Santa (Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy either). I'm afraid if I do then I'll stop getting presents :roflmao:

Couldn't get the link that you had to come up but I just found this one. Don't know if it's the same thing or not?

www.noradsanta.org/

I'm going to have to remember to get on it!

It's definitely true Valerie. I have gone on the norad tracks santa website for years with my kids to track Santa's travels. They love it!

Back
Top Bottom