Old Wife's tales

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got some good ones? Are they true?

Hear are a few I've heard of,

Don't stir with a knife, it's bad luck

It's ok to eat something if you dropped it and picked it up withing 5 seconds (not true)

Don't go outside in the cold for at least 30 minutes after taking a shower or you'll get sick (not ture)

Never kill a spider, it's bad luck

A watched pot never boils (Think this one is true espically if you turn on the wrong burner like I always do and wonder why the water hasn't boiled for 20 minutes!)

Let's hear some more...

Never leave your purse under the table bad luck. When I'm with my good friend Yvette she never lets me walk on the right side of a pole. She grabs me and says it is bad luck.I don't know , ever since Ive been hanging out with her things have been going good for me.We will see. She is moving because of Military in April.

I like don't pout or a big bird will sit on your lip.

Don't cross your eyes so much they will stay like that. *oddly enough this is true. Your inner optical muscles weaken from the strain and then don't work. Its not permanent though*

Step on a crack, break your mothers back. Step on a line, break your fathers spine. *not true*

Opening umbrellas indoors in bad luck. *i beg to differ. I'd rather have in open inside so I'm dry the second I step out into the rain. Not open in once I'm drenched.*
Don't let the bed bugs bite *incredibly disgustingly true*

Drinking water upside down to rid hiccups *not true for me. I just choke and spew it out my nose*

Covering your ears, take a deep breath and try to let it out slowly through your nose to rid hiccups. *this only works on occasion, as I think my hiccups are, or at least start, by myoclonics* sometimes they last 6 hours to the point where I vomit and inhale or choke on it. And, or pass out.

People on here told me about duct tape for planters warts. Totally tried it on chad. It works.

Also put your hands on the ceiling of a car going under a bridge to hold it up or it will fall *obviously not true*
Holding your breath past a cemetery, don't know why your supposed to. *obviously not true* the ones here in winnipeg could make you pass out.

Lifting your feet over railway. Tracks while driving. Don't know why.

I think you're supposed to hold your breath when going by a cemetery so you won't accidentally inhale any dead souls. Sort of like why people say "Bless you" when you sneeze (to prevent the Devil from rushing in and claiming your soul in the millisecond that your heart stops during the sneeze).

How come there are no Old Husband's Tales?

Because women for all ages have known what you talk about and think about. There are no tales to tell.Women have gotten together for years and talked about neighbors, Things that made you feel better.Sex. I am thinking this why.

We’ve all heard the old wives tale that ways if you break a mirror you’ll have seven years of bad luck. Luckily, those of us who have broken a mirror know that you typically aren’t tainted as a result. The old wives tale goes on though to say that if you bury the broken mirror in the moonlight your luck will be restored instantly.

(I say if you break a mirror you shouldn’t be worried about your luck, instead you should be worried about how you look without the help of a new mirror to make sure everything looks just right. If you want to be safe, go ahead and bury your broken mirror in the moonlight, just in case!)

Back
Top Bottom