ADVANCED NEWS: Dystonic posturing during temporal lobe epileptic seizures ....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Is dystonic posturing during temporal lobe epileptic seizures the expression of an endogenous anticonvulsant system?

1: Epilepsy Behav. 2007 Oct 31; (Epub ahead of print)

ABSTRACT

Cleto Dal-Cól ML, Bertti P, Terra-Bustamante VC, Velasco TR, Araujo Rodrigues MC, Wichert-Ana L, Sakamoto AC, Garcia-Cairasco N.
Neurophysiology and Experimental Neuroethology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, University of São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto-SP, Brazil; Epilepsy Surgery Center, Department of Neurology, Psychiatry and Psychology, Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, University of São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto-SP, Brazil.

In temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) seizures, tonic or clonic motor behaviors (TCB) are commonly associated with automatisms, versions, and vocalizations, and frequently occur during secondary generalization. Dystonias are a common finding and appear to be associated with automatisms and head deviation, but have never been directly linked to generalized tonic or clonic behaviors. The objective of the present study was to assess whether dystonias and TCB are coupled in the same seizure or are associated in an antagonistic and exclusive pattern. Ninety-one seizures in 55 patients with TLE due to mesial temporal sclerosis were analyzed. Only patients with postsurgical seizure outcome of Engel class I or II were included. Presence or absence of dystonia and secondary generalization was recorded. Occurrence of dystonia and occurrence of bilateral tonic or clonic behaviors were negatively correlated. Dystonia and TCB may be implicated in exclusive, non-coincidental, or even antagonistic effects or phenomena in TLE seizures. A neural network related to the expression of one behavioral response (e.g., basal ganglia activation and dystonia) might theoretically "displace" brain activation or disrupt the synchronism of another network implicated in pathological circuit reverberation and seizure expression. The involvement of basal ganglia in the blockade of convulsive seizures has long been observed in animal models. The question is: Do dystonia and underlying basal ganglia activation represent an attempt of the brain to block imminent secondary generalization?

PMID: 17980674 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Interesting!...I'll be curious to know what further testing reveals!

what is secondary generalization?

Understanding Secondary Generalization

This link will explain it all.

Secondary Generalization is when a seizure
"spreads". It can vary.

You can have a Complex Partial Seizure that
can "secondary generalize" into a Tonic Clonic.

You can have a "Aura" that "secondary generalize"
into Simple Partials.

These are just some examples. The link above
is a very good link that explains it all in very
simple details.

thank you for the link brain...
:) my neuro never told me about that ...he just said, I think hes afraid ill freak out or some thing.... my seizures are sps and Complex Partial Seizure with auras...... + dystonia..... intresting reading about the two together makes me wonder....

love angel

Back
Top Bottom