[News] Inflammation and Seizures-From PBS\NOVA

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoe

Alternative Research Encyclopedia
Reaction score
This was a NOVA program last winter. The text is online. Addressing diet and other issues which are key in triggering inflammation, was a key in learning to control my seizures without drugs. Brain inflammation may also be one of the possible links between autism and seizures. For me, I am quite certain that the side effects of the seizure drugs, which can also cause inflammation, were THE major reason my seizures became worse to the point they could not be controlled with drugs and I needlessly went through a devastating second brain surgery that failed to stop them.

When I took control, via diet, breath training, autosuggestion, and behavior modification, is when my seizures finally tapered off and stopped. The one downside to this was not recognizing how damaging was the diet issues from inflammation. So while my seizures improved I continued to have major GI problems which are improving now with diet and other non drug approaches to treatment.

I disagree strongly with the statement that traumatic brain injury is irreversible because it is well established that the brain is highly adaptable and can repair itself, even from major major damage, such as I experienced. This makes a good point for looking at the role of inflammation in causing seizures to develop over time and as a trigger for setting them off. Gluten intolerance is just one example that’s been very well researched.

A Tantalizingly Simple Theory of Brain Disease - PBS

Feb 25, 2015 - An Inflammatory Theory of Brain Disease ... And in children with severe epilepsy, techniques to reduce inflammation have succeeded in ...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/brain-inflammation/

Hi Zoe, I read the article at the bottom and I found it very interesting.

I agree with you that traumatic brain injury can to a degree be reversed.

We have Nova on Wednesday night. We watch it every week. I will get to watch it then.

After dinner, I will add to what I have said.

Glad you can see again!!

Zoe
There has been research in Western Australia to investigate ways to turbo charge the brains natural plasticity as a way to overcome traumatic brain injury and for eg something like stroke is showing promising results and offering hope to people who have been impacted.

The Curtin Neuro science Research Laboratory director by the name of Andrea Loftus is one of a number of researchers in West Australia looking to harness the potential of neuroplasticity to improve recovery from brain injury.

Dr David Blacker is the medical director of West Australia Neuroscience Research Institute has debunked the old text books that have stated that after 2yrs one cant learn anything new, that one has plateaued.
Dr Blacker and his colleagues at the institute hope to launch a dedicated neuro-rehabilitation program that would incorporate the latest neuroplastic therapies in late 2016.

What is the link so I can look it up?

The information was from my local paper.

Try to look up key words and you may find results eg.

*""Curtin Neuroscience study on Brain Plasticity""
*Dr Andrea Loftus
* Dr David Blacker

Zoe
topics to consider if you choose:
*nutritional aspects of normal brain function
*degenerative diseases of the brain eg MS, Parkinsons what happens exactly?
*Acetycholine

The brain is amazingly plastic, which gives me a lot of hope for the direction that future research/treatments might take. And the connections between inflammation, autoimmune reactions and the brain are slowly (too slowly!) being explored.

I was reading recently about studies that indicate there's a 3-month window after a stroke when aggressive physical therapy for many hours a day can help restore (or at least improve) muscular function in damaged areas. Doctors at Johns Hopkins have devised a video game (using simulations of dolphins), that encourages the patient to initiate the muscle movements and to engage them longer. The format and aims of the therapy seem very similar to those of neurofeeback (which also takes advantage of brain plasticity to retrain the brain).

Thanks for post. I noticed for my girls that every time they sneeze, they had hypotonia, and problems with balance. Also, when constipation/GIT problems worsened, seizures and other problems they had dramatically exploded.

Angel,
I wish I could talk with the folks at the Neuroscience Center about recovery. The amygdala and hippocampus of my brain were partially destroyed in 1982. Along with being paralyzed, left side, I lost the ability to orient in place and time, to express my emotions normally and appropriately. My memory of most of my life was gone. I had some memories of my childhood, but very little of my life after the age of about 18 ( I was 31 yrs).I lived in one apartment building for five years and was never able to recognize it or find my way more than two or three blocks without getting lost.

I had a psychologist friend in Denver who I'd interviewed in 1981 for an article I wrote on a a relaxation technique. I began using it five days a week. I would first look at a copy of my CT scan and the large dark area where much of my right hemisphere had been destroyed or removed. I then visualized my brain making new nerve pathways that would enable me to speak in complete sentences and to get my paralyzed fingers to begin moving. After about 6 months, I got my left thumb to move. The brain surgeon said it was a miracle, but "that's as far as I'd ever get." Well, despite all the discouragement from conventional doctors, there's no sign now that I was ever paralyzed.

In 1983 I came across a book by a research scientist, Paul Pietsch, who did extensive research while trying to find where memory is stored in the brain. He ended up proving the opposite, that memory works like a hologram, not stored in anyone place but is a process of constantly being created and recreated by the chemical reactions in the brain.

His research demonstrated that in theory then (1970s) the damaged brain could restore re-create itself. I set a lot of challenges for myself and began making recovery, of my depth perception, speech and reasoning skills. In 1988 what remained of my right hippocampus, amygdala, temporal lobe, and part of the prefrontal lobe were removed in a failed attempt to stop my seizures. As you know, I learned to stop and then overcame the seizures without drugs in 1998.

In 1999 I came across Paul Pietsch on the Internet. I was living proof of his theories about brain plasticity and the capacity to recover from even major damage. He gave me a page on his web site then mentored and encouraged me until his death in 2009.

Now you can see why I have an interest in ASD; for years if you told me a funny joke I could tell it was funny, but laughing behavior did not happen. I would have just looked at you with no expression on my face and say, "That is a funny joke." I still have some problems, but can again laugh and smile pretty spontaneously-practice matters.

Many conventional scientists still believe that memory is stored in the brain like photographs or recordings. In this mindset, my memory was forever gone. some college alumi from the college I attended in the 1970s found me on an Internet search in 2000. Even with amnesia, they encouraged me to come to a reunion and I did. That experience led to much of my memory returning, very much. It was a very emotional experience for me as I did not know who I was or where I'd been and had started a new life after the first brain surgery.

If memory is stored in the brain and much of mine was destroyed, from where did my memry return? This is one of the reasons you see me getting excited about the possibilities for those with ASD to make recoveries; their brain functions may be impaired by inflammation, or other causes, but careful attention to identify the cause of the impairments can point to ways to overcome them.

If anyone reading this is, or knows an editor or publisher who might help me finish the book I started on this, please put us in contact.

Oh, and here's a link or two about Paul Pietsch's work which I hope you will share with Dr. T.

This is a skeptical review of Pietsch’s book on his research, but his theories are still valid. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/paul-pietsch/shufflebrain/

An article published about his research:

http://libgallery.cshl.edu/items/show/37895

The book is available free online to read or download

http://www.instinct.org/texts/shufflebrain/shufflebrain-book01.html

[[News]**brain plasticity Inflammation and Seizures-From PBS\NOVA

The brain is amazingly plastic, which gives me a lot of hope for the direction that future research/treatments might take. And the connections between inflammation, autoimmune reactions and the brain are slowly (too slowly!) being explored.

I was reading recently about studies that indicate there's a 3-month window after a stroke when aggressive physical therapy for many hours a day can help restore (or at least improve) muscular function in damaged areas.

Hi Nakamova,
Take that research with a BIG grain of salt; there is NO time limit on recovery from strokes, but many ways to discourage it. 12 years after my left side was paralyzed, no rehab center or hospital physical therapy clinic would take (no hope of further recovery). I talked a physcal therapist into taking me by describing how I got my fingers to move and recover. By that time, I had scoliois from my spine being so twisted for so long and was in very severe pain. My torso was still paralyzed, I had to walk with a cane as my left leg had wasted and drawn up to the point that it would not stay in the socket.
I was so insistent, she got her hospital to take me on as a charity patient.

It took two years of intensive manual therapy to relengthen my leg and get my head to stay up straight. More than five years later and I no longer had signs of having been paralyzed.

Much of what doctors and researchers claim to be truths about stroke recovery are bias that they project on their patients, not what is true or possible.

The aggressive therapy you mention has been done elsewhere with amazing results for about 20 years, pioneered by Dr. Edward Taub at the University of Alabama. It is called Constraint Induced Movement Therapy.

UAB - CI Therapy - Home
https://www.uab.edu/citherapy/
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Constraint-Induced Movement therapy or CI therapy is a new therapeutic ... CI therapy is based on research by Edward Taub, Ph.D. and collaborators at this ...
https://www.uab.edu/citherapy/
This should give you lots of cause for hope.

Zoe,

They are working on hippocampal microchips. The technology is similar to both cochlear and retinal implants. It is all about electrical pulsation.

As you know, the key to neural plasticity is use and new stimulation (learning). Lack of use leads to demyelination. Consistent use leads to remyelination. Neural use (firing) activates the (neighboring) oligodendrocytes which coat the axons with myelin. Without stimulation, the myelin sheath shrivels.

Last edited:
Much of what doctors and researchers claim to be truths about stroke recovery are bias that they project on their patients, not what is true or possible.

I agree. I also am trying to believe that this is true with muscular dystrophy.

My working premise? There are many things that doctors have missed.

I agree 100%

Zoe,

I visited one of your links on shufflebrain.

Like Dr. Pietsch, Dr. Robert Becker did extensive research with salamander regeneration. He is known for his work and interest in bioelectricity, electromedicine, and electrochemically induced cellular regeneration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_O._Becker

Last edited:
Angel,
I wish I could talk with the folks at the Neuroscience Center about recovery. The amygdala and hippocampus of my brain were partially destroyed in 1982. Along with being paralyzed, left side, I lost the ability to orient in place and time, to express my emotions normally and appropriately. My memory of most of my life was gone. I had some memories of my childhood, but very little of my life after the age of about 18 ( I was 31 yrs).I lived in one apartment building for five years and was never able to recognize it or find my way more than two or three blocks without getting lost.

I had a psychologist friend in Denver who I'd interviewed in 1981 for an article I wrote on a a relaxation technique. I began using it five days a week. I would first look at a copy of my CT scan and the large dark area where much of my right hemisphere had been destroyed or removed. I then visualized my brain making new nerve pathways that would enable me to speak in complete sentences and to get my paralyzed fingers to begin moving. After about 6 months, I got my left thumb to move. The brain surgeon said it was a miracle, but "that's as far as I'd ever get." Well, despite all the discouragement from conventional doctors, there's no sign now that I was ever paralyzed.

In 1983 I came across a book by a research scientist, Paul Pietsch, who did extensive research while trying to find where memory is stored in the brain. He ended up proving the opposite, that memory works like a hologram, not stored in anyone place but is a process of constantly being created and recreated by the chemical reactions in the brain.

His research demonstrated that in theory then (1970s) the damaged brain could restore re-create itself. I set a lot of challenges for myself and began making recovery, of my depth perception, speech and reasoning skills. In 1988 what remained of my right hippocampus, amygdala, temporal lobe, and part of the prefrontal lobe were removed in a failed attempt to stop my seizures. As you know, I learned to stop and then overcame the seizures without drugs in 1998.

In 1999 I came across Paul Pietsch on the Internet. I was living proof of his theories about brain plasticity and the capacity to recover from even major damage. He gave me a page on his web site then mentored and encouraged me until his death in 2009.

Now you can see why I have an interest in ASD; for years if you told me a funny joke I could tell it was funny, but laughing behavior did not happen. I would have just looked at you with no expression on my face and say, "That is a funny joke." I still have some problems, but can again laugh and smile pretty spontaneously-practice matters.

Many conventional scientists still believe that memory is stored in the brain like photographs or recordings. In this mindset, my memory was forever gone. some college alumi from the college I attended in the 1970s found me on an Internet search in 2000. Even with amnesia, they encouraged me to come to a reunion and I did. That experience led to much of my memory returning, very much. It was a very emotional experience for me as I did not know who I was or where I'd been and had started a new life after the first brain surgery.

If memory is stored in the brain and much of mine was destroyed, from where did my memry return? This is one of the reasons you see me getting excited about the possibilities for those with ASD to make recoveries; their brain functions may be impaired by inflammation, or other causes, but careful attention to identify the cause of the impairments can point to ways to overcome them.

If anyone reading this is, or knows an editor or publisher who might help me finish the book I started on this, please put us in contact.

Oh, and here's a link or two about Paul Pietsch's work which I hope you will share with Dr. T.

This is a skeptical review of Pietsch’s book on his research, but his theories are still valid. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/paul-pietsch/shufflebrain/

An article published about his research:

http://libgallery.cshl.edu/items/show/37895

The book is available free online to read or download

http://www.instinct.org/texts/shufflebrain/shufflebrain-book01.html

Zoe
Would you consider emailing the relevant Neuro science Centre?

Andrea Loftus seems to be working in Curtin University Of Western Australia and should be aware how Dr David Blacker could be contacted.

Its interesting you mentioned the memory stuff.
Is storing of memory like putting pieces of paper in this section of our brain?
I have read some bits from Dr Tabrizians book called ""Degenerative Diseases of the Brain"
This is his quote:
""There is not one particular place where we store memories. It is acutally the job of several cells. Maybe 30 or 40, all deciding to jointly store the memory. It is sort of like a tribe that is going to hand down by word of mouth a really important legend but each person of the tribe only gets part of the story. Its a team effort like a basket ball team where everybody has to do their job in order for the team to win.""
So he is saying that memory relies on PLAYBACK.
Dr T gives this eg.
""Imagine you are looking at one of those LED screens that has those moving messages, if you look at any one LED specifically, it doesn't look like there is a message. If you focus too closely on the one thing at a time it doesn't look like there is any message. When you zoom out and you see it working in four dimensions you get the message. Each cell is contributing something to a greater picture; you can see from the screen that moving messages that cant be ignored."
He also adds:
""This is what happens with heavy metals-they block or disable some of the LEDS. It is a bit harder to get the message at first. The more blocks you have the worse the problem is.""

Just something to consider Zoe.

It takes a special and quite giving type of person who has the motivation and strength to write a book about their experiences in going out there publicly.
I do acknowledge that for you Zoe its a process that is challenging at times but I know you can do it. :)
I really admire your personal tenacity and you are an inspiration to not only me but to others.

I suppose its also empowering I would imagine.
Keep persisting in your goal Zoe.

Michael,

Do you have, or did you read Becker's book "The Body Electric"? I carried a copy around with me for years, it had so much useful information in it. When I asked him about it, Pietsch was familiar with his research. I'm surprised any links to ShuffleBrain are still there, most removed when Paul passed away. His book is still available free online and is a good read, though much of the hard science was over my head, I certainly got the point about how a holographic memory theoretically explains why recovery from brain injury is possible.

This explains, why, after thirty-two years of often having too intense an emotional reaction to many situations, I quite suddenly "remembered" who I was and how to react more normally to things that typically threw me off since one off the major strokes left me with radically altered behavior. The area of my brain that is linked to regulating emotional reactions was destroyed in the right hemisphere. Thirty-plus years later, the corresponding area of my left hemisphere kicked in,clearly remembered my whole self and is picking up the slack for it's "twin" in the right hemisphere. At first, I thought it was a fluke and would pass. Not so. After several years there is slow but continual improvement in rememberng, feeling, and acting like my more normal self as I was before all the strokes. Ironically, inflammation, as we are discussing it here seems to be THE major obstacle to improving my health, body and brain.,

It infuriates me that Becker's work was so derided and mostly buried. He was so very far ahead of the pack in his insights about healing EMFs and so much else. Some of the information in his book spurred me on to learn more about the research into mind control, via the LIDA machine as well as the self control one can learn via neurofeedback (Allen Frey and Ross Adey).

The clinical psychologist who helped me unlearn "seizure behavior" believed we can accomplish on our own what can be done with neurofeedback training. I did benefit from neurofeedback training. However, I also know the machines are not necessary to achieve the same results the training can prroduce. At this point, with incessant tinnitus and pounding in my head since an infection began in 2008, I cannot experience quiet and get into the state needed to better control my brain, my mind, my thinking, and behavior.

For anyone who is interested in this here's a link to a chapter in Becker's book about early understanding and research into mind control, for good or for bad:
http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/mind/research/re020101a.html

It takes a special and quite giving type of person who has the motivation and strength to write a book about their experiences in going out there publicly.
I do acknowledge that for you Zoe its a process that is challenging at times but I know you can do it. :)
I really admire your personal tenacity and you are an inspiration to not only me but to others.

I suppose its also empowering I would imagine.
Keep persisting in your goal Zoe.

Thanks Angel,

The encouragement is appreciated and much needed at this time. Helps me not get too discouraged. At times it is necessary to just pull back emotionally to have the stamina and focus to pursue our goals with out health and overcoming seizures.

Its interesting you mentioned the memory stuff.
Is storing of memory like putting pieces of paper in this section of our brain?
I have read some bits from Dr Tabrizians book called ""Degenerative Diseases of the Brain"
This is his quote:
""There is not one particular place where we store memories. It is acutally the job of several cells. Maybe 30 or 40, all deciding to jointly store the memory. It is sort of like a tribe that is going to hand down by word of mouth a really important legend but each person of the tribe only gets part of the story. Its a team effort like a basket ball team where everybody has to do their job in order for the team to win.""
So he is saying that memory relies on PLAYBACK.

Dr T gives this eg.
""Imagine you are looking at one of those LED screens that has those moving messages, if you look at any one LED specifically, it doesn't look like there is a message. If you focus too closely on the one thing at a time it doesn't look like there is any message. When you zoom out and you see it working in four dimensions you get the message. Each cell is contributing something to a greater picture; you can see from the screen that moving messages that cant be ignored."
He also adds:
""This is what happens with heavy metals-they block or disable some of the LEDS. It is a bit harder to get the message at first. The more blocks you have the worse the problem is.""

Just something to consider Zoe.

Angel,

I hope you will get Dr.T to read Pietsch's book about his research, they are not incompatible views. From his research, Pietsch showed that even when large areas of the brain are destroyed, the "programs" such as for feeding or breathing, remain, just "scrambled' as he put it. Memory was not shown to be physically stored like a recording. Rather, it functions like a holographic image. Any one section of a holograph can be used to reconstruct the entire image.

Memory is not stored, it is a chemical process that constructs and reconstructs itself. For example: Suppose you go to a store and look at perfumes. You come across one that your long deceased grandmother wore often. The odor alone can conjure up entire memories you have of her. That's a brain cemical and neurological reaction to the smell leading to recreating the image\memory of your grandmother, not the retrieving of somehing physically stored in the brain.

And yes, the heavy metals, etc. are going to interfere with the brain's function, including how it handles memory. Especially with your daughter, this is an important topic. If she is experiencing inflammation from allergies, metals, whatever, it is only normal to see problems symptoms from the effect these have on her brain. The link to read the book online is above. I think you will find it interesting if not encouraging as well.

Back
Top Bottom